Sierra Rear hubs / Bearings / Driveshafts - New Uprights

Donor cars and parts

Moderator: BradW

Sierra Rear hubs / Bearings / Driveshafts - New Uprights

Postby BradW on Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:46 pm

There has been some confusion over Sierra/Sapphire rear wheel bearings, Ford SA didn't help us, there doesn't appear to be any fixed model/year etc where the bearings changed, most workshop manuals don't have any references that help.

There are two (at least) different sizes of bearings, it seems to be that where flanged diffs and Lobro joints are used it is always the larger bearing, however we have seen CV joint driveshafts with both sizes.

In the picture the top drivershaft/hub is the type with Lobro joints and flanged diff, the bottom one is the CV joint type.

On the Lobro joint one the surface on which the inner bearing sits is part of the hub, on the CV joint type the inner race sits on the drive shaft,

To check which bearing your donor parts need simply measure the diameter of the part where the bearing inner sits.

The smaller bearing is 35mm (60 x 35 x 37), and the larger is 41mm (68 x 41 x 37)

Some guys seem to be having problems with finding the right bearings, also there have been some unexplained failures (maybe cheap Chinese bearings) and we have had some delays and problems with machining centres for our uprights.

We have now re-designed the rear uprights to accommodate more 'modern' bearings, this way we can produce one upright and supply bearings to suit any of the donor parts.

The new bearings are 'bearing units' that is rather than being two separate inners, two outers and two bearings, plus the two oil seals, they are one unit, pre-greased, preloaded with integral seals. So no more packing bearings with grease and no more struggling to fit the oil seals which inevitably end up damaged.

Unfortunately we could not find an exact bearing to suit both sizes of driveshaft, so there is some modification required to the larger (Lobro joint) donor parts, this is a relatively straightforward mod that can be done by anyone with (competent) access to a lathe, or any machine shop, or we can get the mod done for a minimal charge (free to purchasers of starter kits).
The diagram below should be enough info to get the mod done yourself.

UPDATE Another option is to leave the 40mm length 'as is' and use a 4mm spacer between the hub and the bearing, this is probably better than machining the length.

Basically the 41mm diameter is reduced to 39mm, and the length of the bearing surface reduced from 40mm to 36.5mm. Obviously make sure the fillets or chamfers of the originals are duplicated to avoid sharp corners which 'attract' stress.

If you are planning on using the Golf calipers and the smaller (and lighter disks) then get the outside diameter of the hub machined down to 135mm at the same time.

The new uprights are in production now and will be supplied with all future kits, should you wish to 'upgrade' your old uprights to the new ones this is a straight swap-over, (with machining of hubs if needed), contact Ann if you wish to do this, some guys may qualify for a free upgrade :-).

Brad
Last edited by BradW on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
BradW
Site Admin

Postby andredp on Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:21 pm

Definitely going on my racer, SO gatvol of the Sierra bearings :x
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Postby kalfiekind on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:01 am

I work in the Food and Bev industrie where bearings is a constant \"Threat\". What we have found was that although they are expensive, SKF bearings work the best. We have had FAG bearings fail a lot on the same aplication as the SKF bearing.

Try to avoid all these FONGKONG bearings.
We ran a vacuum pump for 2 hours after being charged R4000 for an overhaul by the supplier.

Quality pays!
Finally getting to start planning a build.
kalfiekind

Re:

Postby BradW on Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:49 am

andredp wrote:Definitely going on my racer, SO gatvol of the Sierra bearings :x

My reference to Chinese bearings wasn't aimed at you, your problems have me totally confused, unless someone has tipped iron filings in your grease tin :-).

I ran a set of SKF bearings on the white one early in it's life, I suspect the nut came loose, I forgot to replace the old nut with a new one and the nyloc section wasn't in the best condition

That's something maybe someone can help with, I haven't been abe to find a source for the hub nuts, especially the left hand thread nut, if anyone knows of a source please either let me know and we'll stock them, or post on the Forum to let everyone know.
It's recommended to fit new nuts every time you take them off, personally I'd be happy cleaning the nut/thread and using Loctite (stud lock or similar) if the nut/thread is in good condition.

Brad
BradW
Site Admin

Postby ross on Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:42 am

You can get those nuts from Ford, but I'm sure they will be available from fastener suppliers, maybe not all, but the bigger ones. The bearing kits I bought came with new nuts so they are available.
Ross
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Re:

Postby BradW on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:05 pm

ross wrote:You can get those nuts from Ford, but I'm sure they will be available from fastener suppliers, maybe not all, but the bigger ones. The bearing kits I bought came with new nuts so they are available.
Ross

You are quite right Ross, you can get them from Ford, but if I recall at some absolutely ridiculous cost.

I'm sure we'll find them somewhere, it's another item on my 'to do' list :-)

Brad
BradW
Site Admin

Postby Bodger on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:36 pm

I'm sick of messing around at spares places so I went to Ford and ordered 2x hub nuts.
LH nut: R100
RH nut: R130
And that is vat inc. with a 20% discount (I’m not sure why we qualify for a discount maybe its cause we have spent so many of our lunch times at the spares desk)
http://www.bodgerbuild.blogspot.com
Bodger

Re:

Postby BradW on Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:09 pm

Bodger wrote:LH nut: R100
RH nut: R130

That's not too bad, I'll contact our local Ford guy and see if they have stock.

Don't suppose you have Ford part No's do you, saves a lot of time ?.

Makes you wonder why the RH nut is more expensive, the LH nut is a left hand thread I would have expected that to cost more.

Brad
BradW
Site Admin

Postby Bodger on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:26 pm

Here are the part numbers

Type 9 gear lever: 859T7K387AA for R648 (thought I would add that for good measure)

Hub nuts
LHT: E822078S100 for R100
RHT: E822077S100 for R130

Cheers

Graeme
http://www.bodgerbuild.blogspot.com
Bodger

Postby BradW on Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:57 am

Hi,

Not sure wether Graemes prices were inc vat or not, but I've checked and we will be getting some 'in stock', might not be till the new year now though.

Rear Hub Nuts
Left Hand E822078S100 R97 inc VAT
Right Hand E822077S100 R126 inc VAT

Front Hub Nuts
Left Hand E822073S76 R79 inc VAT
Right Hand E822066S76 R70 inc VAT

As Ross says most wheel bearing kits come with nuts.

Brad
BradW
Site Admin

Return to Donor Cars