New Build

Chassis and suspension of whatever design

Moderator: BradW

New Build

Postby Colgrey on Mon May 19, 2014 12:00 pm

Hi

My brother and I have recently been browsing for a new project. We would like to build/purchase two 7's which we'll use predominantly for road use but also a bit of racing. We have a couple of questions.

Does Birkin still exist? Seems people rate their frames quite highly.

Which would be recommended, building a car from the ground up or purchasing a complete/near complete car and altering/fixing those things that need attention? I'm concerned about the quality of a project that someone else may have built, how does one trust that the builder hasn't done a poor job? I see that Locost also offer frame options that look quite good. We're not daunted by any construction work as we've done many projects in the past and have a fairly good workshop area, but any work that can be saved is always welcome.
Colgrey

Re: New Build

Postby Garreth on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:13 pm

Hey bud,

Build from the ground up. As you have said the both of you have done many projects before and doing this kind of thing is a journey in itself.
Plus the both of you get to share the experience

With regard to picking up a projects it can cost you more to fix a problem than prevent the problem by building properly the first time.

Cheers
Completed 1.6L 20V ST
Designing Ariel Atom Clone
http://www.garrethslotus.tumblr.com
Garreth

Postby Riaan_Locost on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi

From what I've been told much better to go with a reputable chassis, Birkin is available but expensive, the ones from Locost SA come with v good reports, and I'm told the 2014 is even better, and available from stock, that's the route I'm going once I have the money.

I researched building my own chassis, but although I'm a decent welder I've heard of too many that don't get beyond the bare chassis, guys seem to have problems with designing and mounting the suspensions/drivetrain.

Riaan
Riaan_Locost

Postby Garreth on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:17 pm

It all depends what you can spend.

I have heard a lot of guys who have successfully welded up chassis and all brackets etc.
I often hear the get a reputable chassis from people who arent willing to build and look for the easy option. Dont get me wrong it is easier but it depend what you want from the experience.

I don't have kind of money. To put it in perspective, the starter kit costs just over half of what I have paid in total to complete my seven....

Each to there own though, choose what you want out of it and then take it from there.
Do you want to stand there with a mate and a beer and say..."yeah it was a kit I just put together" or "Yep I built this from nothing but steel tubes", for me it was the second option which tied in nicely with the cost saving.

Cheers
Completed 1.6L 20V ST
Designing Ariel Atom Clone
http://www.garrethslotus.tumblr.com
Garreth

Return to Chassis