Sierra Uprights

Chassis and suspension of whatever design

Moderator: BradW

Sierra Uprights

Postby OpelD on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:39 am

Hi Guys, I was out at some scrap yards this weekend looking for ford cortina uprights and the whole assembly.

Only 1 yard had but it did not even include calipers and it did not look that good.

Just want to find out, will it be better to go with the sierra front uprights and then get the adaptors?

Will the wishbone design as per the book change (as I have already made the top and bottom wishbones as per book) if I rather use the sierra uprights?

Reason why I am asking is, it appears as though there are a lot more sierra's out there and it might be a bit easier to find?

Any help is appreciated thanks.
OpelD

Re: Sierra Uprights

Postby OpelD on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:41 am

Sorry Guys, I should be doing my searches before asking all these questions.

The book chassis was designed for cortina front uprights right. So I suppose I should stick with them then.

Well that is if I can find any available.

Does anyone know where I can get cortina front uprights for a reasonable price?

The availability of service parts for them, are they still mostly available, such as new discs etc.

Thanks
OpelD

Postby johansenior on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:24 am

Hi, there is not much that can go wrong with the Contina uprights, provided the stub axle and threads are still in good nick, all you need to do is replace the bearings that are available (KIT120).
Discs are also still available (Alfa Part DR6756, Autozone Part FED.756)
I got my uprights with one missing caliper and the other one was damaged. They are also very heavy so I opted to use Golf front calipers from the older Golfs with solid discs. I only had to modify the upright a bit and make a bracket for the Golf caliper.
If all goes well I will be at Cars in the Park at Zwartkops on 7 August at the Locost Club stand with my car. Feel free to come and have a look at what I have done.
Cheers,
Johan
Locost live axle 1600 Kent
johansenior

Postby OpelD on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:46 pm

@ Johansenior, thanks for the reply.

Can you beleive it, I love cars and I am always busy with something, but has to this day never attended the cars in the park. Very sad actually. But I am also going to try and make the breakthrough this year.

Okay so I got a place that has one set on a car, but with no calipers. So I suppose that is not a real issue. The problem is that this guy wants to charge me R 1,200 for the set...................

Not sure what they go for, but it seems a bit steep to me.
OpelD

Postby johansenior on Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:03 pm

If you are into cars I think you would enjoy Cars in the Park, quite a popular event with a lot of cars to see and attended by thousands of people every year.
R1200 does sound a bit steep to me, but difficult for me to judge as mine was included in the project I purchased off a guy that got all the bits and pieces together but never got started on the build.
It might also be a case of supply and demand and because there are less and less of them available the scappies can demand higher prices. If you can maybe you should try and shop around some more.

Cheers,
Johan
Locost live axle 1600 Kent
johansenior

Postby muller on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:16 pm

R1000 is a bit steep, last time I got them for R400 a set (I don't think the scrappy realised how much in demand they are)

Dont worry about the calipers, 9/10 they rusted beyond repair anyway and making something else work is not an issue.
Anton

Race car 1: Birkin IRS 4AGE 20v (TLR class B - B10)
Race car 2: Birkin IRS 4AGE 20v (TLR Class B for SO - B20)
Road car: erm.. who cares
muller

Postby OpelD on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:36 am

Picked up my stub axle, hub assembly and calipers yesterday. Everything seems to be okay, although the discs are rusted badly.

Paid R 800 for them, which is a lot better than R 1,200 without calipers. I got the smaller caliper though which I understand should be okay and is also a little bit lighter.

It feels like I can go on now.
OpelD

Postby Vauxhall on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:17 am

Hi guys

First sorry for jacking this thread
I would like to know the answer
ive build my chassis as per book
i also build my wishbones and when the time arrived to clean the uprights (which is cortina uprights) i discover a bearing seized on it in the past and is badly damadged ive also had a set of sierra uprights out of the condition the sierra uprights is in a better condition so my option is to use the sierra uprights but what about the wishbones setup i know the bottom wishbone stay the same but the top one might differ a bit because of the caster angle if im not mistaken please i need advice

Thanks
Jean
Vauxhall

Return to Chassis