My build has started....

Chassis and suspension of whatever design

Moderator: BradW

My build has started....

Postby Wynand on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:44 pm

After a lot of soul searching and a few posts getting some info, I started my car. As I stated elsewhere Im a big guy (more round :wink: ) and having tried the standard chassis, decided to go big with the McSorley 7+442E plans and I fit comfortable in that.

I decided on 25 square tube for ease of build, easy to attach brackets and cleats. The upper and lower chassis beams were kept one piece and not cut, otherwise as per plan to rear bulkhead. From that I used the Rorty IRS drawings for the Sierra diff and is quite a solid structure. To simplify things I used 25mm round and square tube through out - just a waste of time in my opinion to have a 20mm in the mix and the saving so little and since Im not gonna race her, I would rather have the strength for the added kilo or so in weight.

The chassis is not complete - need two tubes on rear BH and all the side triangulation supports and that will also be 25mm round tube. At this stage as per photos the big chassis weight 53.6kg ans I calculated another 7kg of tubing to complete the frame ready to start fitting brackets etc. Is this weight in the ball park of this type of chassis?

Perhaps you guys can help me again with you experience. The floor and panels to frame; welded or pop riveted? I thought that since my chassis is beefed up with larger supportive tubing, I can use 1.2mm steel plate welded to frame. I am not keen on all that rivet holes on tubing and rivets are not structural supportive.
Or on the other hand, perhaps go the aluminum way and rivets (and Sika-Flex used). If I go the aluminum way, what thickness of plate can one use. By the way. my chassis get two extra longitudinal tubes under my seats to carry the seat and to attach the runner on, so the plating would not need to support my weight.

I attach some photos of my build and this represents 3.5 days work for me. She is just tack welded and final welding will be MIG. The frame is still tack welded to the table and will only we cut loose after welding is done and the bottom welds to do. BTW, the steel table was aligned with a dumpy level and the max difference in level over any corner is max 1mm. The frame will be straight when done.

Cannot attach some photos - files to big :(
Wynand
Webpage: http://5psi.net
Car: McSorley 442E chassis
2.0l Ford Pinto with ZX9 bike carbs
Lightened flywheel, camjob, 4-2-1 exh
5 Speed Ford type 9 g/box
IRS - 3.7:1 diff ratio
Wynand

Re: My build has started....

Postby Wynand on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:08 pm

Found a way to compress the files somewhat and here are the photos of my build.
Attachments
Lotus 7 004 - Copy.JPG
Side view of IRS upper and lower wishbone support arms
Lotus 7 004 - Copy.JPG (189.64 KiB) Viewed 8834 times
Lotus 7 003 - Copy.JPG
Closer look
Lotus 7 003 - Copy.JPG (192.07 KiB) Viewed 8833 times
Lotus 7 002 - Copy.JPG
seen from back - IRS Rorty setup
Lotus 7 002 - Copy.JPG (190.29 KiB) Viewed 8833 times
Wynand
Webpage: http://5psi.net
Car: McSorley 442E chassis
2.0l Ford Pinto with ZX9 bike carbs
Lightened flywheel, camjob, 4-2-1 exh
5 Speed Ford type 9 g/box
IRS - 3.7:1 diff ratio
Wynand

Postby Wynand on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:14 pm

and perhaps another one or two...
Attachments
Lotus 7 001 - Copy.JPG
seen in profile from side
Lotus 7 001 - Copy.JPG (190.62 KiB) Viewed 8833 times
Lotus 7 006 - Copy.JPG
close up from front
Lotus 7 006 - Copy.JPG (192.34 KiB) Viewed 8835 times
Lotus 7 005 - Copy.JPG
Seen from the front
Lotus 7 005 - Copy.JPG (193.55 KiB) Viewed 8831 times
Wynand

Postby ross on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:46 am

Nice work Wynand, I really like the steel top work table, I see you also have canine QA people! :lol:
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Postby muller on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:49 pm

That is a very nice table - will make a brilliant general welding table afterwards!

I'd use ali for the floor. I know it is a road car etc etc, but a sheet metal floor is just such an unnecessary weight to carry around. My floor is pretty thin, probably 1.2mm.

PS was working under the car this weekend, must actually post some pictures of all the bumps and scrapes (I tend to run my car VERY low)
Anton

Race car 1: Birkin IRS 4AGE 20v (TLR class B - B10)
Race car 2: Birkin IRS 4AGE 20v (TLR Class B for SO - B20)
Road car: erm.. who cares
muller

Postby gargoil on Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:48 am

congrats on your build i am wanting to start soon but i have not yet got the all the info i want yet :oops: but i hope to be starting soon very nice build so far
gargoil

Return to Chassis