twisted chassis

Chassis and suspension of whatever design

Moderator: BradW

twisted chassis

Postby rooster on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:42 pm

Hi,new to the site.i started biulding my locost type chassis a few weeks ago(heynes manual).The chassis was perfectly straight after tacking it together,but after welding it all ,it seems to have twisted by about 4mm.i left the susp mounts untill last,so if i line them up to my table they will be square to one another wich sorts the geometry out.will the twisted chassis have any other negative effects?(should i start from scratch?).I tig welded the chassis,so at least it should be strong enough.Any advice is welcome,
Thanks
rooster

Re: twisted chassis

Postby Trident on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi rooster,

I'll leave it up to the experts to advise. I've only started welding, and aren't even close to where you are, but in terms of your weld, if I understand correctly, 4mm in total ain't bad at all! Considering the total size of the car and the fact that the measurements we use were converted from inches to the closesest mm, I do believe 4 mm shouldn't be noticable at all. (4cm may be a different story though)

Tri
Trident

Postby muller on Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:30 pm

I've never built my own chassis, but 4mm total distortion sounds more than acceptable to me.
Anton

Race car 1: Birkin IRS 4AGE 20v (TLR class B - B10)
Race car 2: Birkin IRS 4AGE 20v (TLR Class B for SO - B20)
Road car: erm.. who cares
muller

Postby andersonhdj on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:45 pm

Not an expert either but i think it would somewhat difficult to weld up the chassis ,as we do on a rudimentary table, without some distortion, given that there will always be a degree of flex under hard driving conditions your error is probably acceptable as long as your suspension geometry is accurate.

I also wasnt happy with mine, i was only 1,5 mm out corner to corner, the trick is to keep it locked down as long as possible and weld remotely as you go till you are forced to release it from your jig/table.
Hamish.
andersonhdj

Postby rooster on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:16 pm

Thanks for the advice,ive decided to accept the distirtion and just move on from here.next step is the susp arms,does anyone know if it is esential to use seamless tube as i want to use oval and cant seem to source it in seamless.
rooster

Return to Chassis