Wishbone bushes and insert sizes

Chassis and suspension of whatever design

Moderator: BradW

Wishbone bushes and insert sizes

Postby Vanair on Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:53 am

Hi

Please help!

I am planning to build my wishbones for 7 and need to get all the sizes on the poly bushes and inserts. I want to buy the bushes and insert kit from Brad but need to source the correct tubing where these bushes will fit into.

This seems to be a big problem as I can find no seemless tubing that are close to the sizes specified in the Chris Gibbs book.

I am slightly lost at this stage :(

Regards

Pieter
Vanair

Postby Scubadude on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:12 pm

Hi Pieter!

Not sure if the book calls specifically for seamless tubing. If it doesnt 25NBx2.8 MPEUNC (medium, plain end, uncoated) waterpipe will do fine. Seamless in a special size is probably a drawn tube - which would be impossibly expensive in small volumes.

Maybe try posting questions perculiar to the book chassis on locostbuilders.co.uk or the Haynes Roadster forum.

cheers!

francois
Francois de Villiers 2001 Psuedo-Birkin undergoing (non) running restoration, 1600 Kent almost ready for reassembly (only bloody eventually! )
Scubadude

Postby BuzzFuzz on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:47 am

Hey Pieter

Did you come right with the tubing? I have the same problem now... I bought the bushes, but now i need something with an I.D. of 29mm(I think?). So my best guess is seemless 34mm - 3mm thick but I get blank faces from steel merchants.

Jethro
Jethro

1) Scratch build - 20V blacktop & T50 box (done... but always tweaking)
BuzzFuzz

Postby ross on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:24 am

Hi Jethro,
Have you tried asking a machine shop how much they will charge you to machine them from hollow bar? Worth a shot I think.
Cheers,
Ross
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Re: Wishbone bushes and insert sizes

Postby Vanair on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:16 pm

Hi Jethro

Sorry I missed your question and if it still applies heres the answer ...... I used seamless 4130 aircraft tubing and seamed pipe 33.7mm that Francois helped me with.

@ Francois, I have just completed the wishbones. Thnaks a lot for your effort and big help! :D

Regards

Pieter
Vanair

Postby BuzzFuzz on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:41 pm

@ Ross
Engineering shop said that there is no hollow bar that small(don't know how true that is) but gave me a quote R580, for 18 X soild bar bored out, turned down to size and cut to length. :shock: Quite High. But gona see if I can get some more quotes, will post them if I get. Also will see how much they charge to Tap M18 and cut to size piece for the transit ball joint.
@ Pieter
Thanks, now I know what to look out for. Picking up some scrap (1m) tube tomorrow, organised from a friend of a friend who works at fluids company, hope it is the correct size. asked for 34mm OD and 29mm ID seemless and that is supposedly what i'm getting :)

Cheers
Jethro
Jethro

BuzzFuzz

Postby BuzzFuzz on Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:20 pm

Cool well I got my seemless tube and the poly bushes press fit in nicely; with some paint they sould fit nice and tight.

Got an engineering shop to cut the tube up for me, they did a good job and got 22 piece out of the length, they chamfered the edges nicely as well. all for a grand total of R100, now thats better.

Also found a shop that had a M18,1.5mm tap, And charged me R50 each for a 25mm stock bar drilled and tapped, negotiated that price a little. Happy agian :D

But as I said in another thread I got Stiffed with a supposed 50mm by 3mm thick square tube that I bought and Did not check as I trust poeple that it turns out they gave me 50mm by 1.6mm square tube :x
Jethro

BuzzFuzz

Postby DAVID HARRISON on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:05 pm

Hi Jethro

In your last post on this thread you said that you had obtained the tube that you required for your bones, but you didn't tell us where you found it! Please do tell.
\"GENTLY SIDEWAYS\"
DAVID HARRISON

Postby BuzzFuzz on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:36 pm

It was from Hytec Hydraulics. I worked there as a student a long time ago, so the one chap helped me out with an off-cut.

They do over the counter sales, but I'm not sure if they sell the tubing.
Jethro

BuzzFuzz

Postby DAVID HARRISON on Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:13 pm

Thanks Jethro

Did that include the 29mm ID tube required to accomodate Brad's bushes?

Rgds
\"GENTLY SIDEWAYS\"
DAVID HARRISON

Postby BuzzFuzz on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:46 pm

Yup. Hytec only helped me with the 34mm od and 29mm id pipe.
Normal steel places did the other tubing.
Jethro

BuzzFuzz

Postby DAVID HARRISON on Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:51 am

Thanks Again Jethro

Looks like a visit to the Hydraulic guys is going to be a next step! Just a final question on this subject, I presume you purchased Brad's bushes - can you remember the length of the crush tubes? As far as I know they would need to be 44mm to fit the book design (50 X 50 X3 square tube, welded side cut out).

rgds

David
\"GENTLY SIDEWAYS\"
DAVID HARRISON

Postby BuzzFuzz on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:46 am

Off hand I cant remember the exact dim's...
The car is not parked at my "tiny 3rd floor apartment" otherwise I would be able to measure. I'll probably only get to the car in 3 weeks time.

I built the car as per the book and cant remember having to do any mods to the crush tubes so they should be 44mm or a pinch over (44.5mm guessing).

Hoping someone else on the forum can confirm.
Jethro

BuzzFuzz

Return to Chassis