Short race report Kyalami

Dedicated to the discussion of racing Locosts and similar cars.

Moderator: BradW

Short race report Kyalami

Postby muller on Mon May 23, 2011 9:08 am

It's short because I didn't do much racing, but I have no reason to complain as I have had remarkable reliability from my car for almost a year.

Friday practice was very good, in the first session I posted a new PB of 1:55.7 (our current lap record is 1:56.0!). Chatting to Jeff I heard he was running the same laptimes with a bunch of other guys in the low 56's so I knew the racing would be close.

Sat qualify was a strange session, the car felt good but I simply could not get any decent laptimes out of it struggling in the low 56's. I started driving the car a lot harder nearly loosing it on the exit of sunset when I drifted wide but the effort paid off and I dipped into the 55's on my last lap. Time sheet showed I got pole beating Lauren by 0.1 seconds!!! This was the first race her new car was behaving itself and it was great to see it had proper pace. Top 4/5 cars were separated by a few tenths!

On the grid for race one the car kept on kreeping when I released the brakes, so to avoid a repeat of the Phakisa jump start penalty I kept my foot on the brake until the lights went out but still managed to get a very good start... and then I could not get 2nd gear and everybody and his dog streaked past. I was forced to go into 3rd and by the time I got to turn 1 I was down to 10th in class B. What followed was a storming lap as I passed Pierro through T2 and Glen through T3, coming out of Nashua Jeff spun giving me another place. 4th place was made up under braking for clubhouse when I passed John, I tried my luck with Neil Mcleod in the same corner but he shut the door firmly but I managed to get round him on outside in wesbank. By the end of lap 1 I was up to 5th. On lap 2 Derek had a moment in sunset slowing himself and Ettienne down giving me the run on them down the outside of the old pit straight with me and Derek going into sunset side by side, another 2 places made up and up into 3rd just behind Lauren who was behind chased by Simon Murray. Over the rest of the lap I closed up enough to start thinking about passing Simon when I suddenly lost drive coming into the last corner. I had no choice but to pull to the side and parked the car against the pit wall. Outer CV failed. At least I had a great view to see Lauren absorb everything Simon could throw at her until she finally started pulling away to take the win!

Derek lent me a spare side shaft (THANKS!) and I got the car ready for race 2. On the out lap I was warming up the tyre quite aggresively when the car suddenly understeered in sunset... then I saw the right front wheel wobbling and spitting aliminium shavings at me. At first I thought one of the suspension bolts failed but after parking the car on the exit of clubhouse I saw the upright itself had failed, so another DNF for me. Again I had a grand stand view of the racing, unfortunately Lauren could not repeat her race 1 performance and finished 4th but still good enough for 2nd overall.

In hind sight I was EXTREMELY lucky that my CV failed in race 1, otherwise that upright would have failed on the next lap, most likely in sunset at 160km/h

Congratulations to Jeff who managed to post a 1:55.9 in race 1 earning him the new lap record! And to Ettienne who took a well earned 1st overall.

Video of the first 2 laps as well as the upright failure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uyFg0ZtLR4

I very seldom get to watch our racing live but have to say it really was a great spectacle to watch. There was huge battles throughout the field with some awesome racing and overtaking happening all the time.
Anton

Race car 1: Birkin IRS 4AGE 20v (TLR class B - B10)
Race car 2: Birkin IRS 4AGE 20v (TLR Class B for SO - B20)
Road car: erm.. who cares
muller

Return to Locost Racing