Midvaal Race Diary - 17 July 2010

Dedicated to the discussion of racing Locosts and similar cars.

Moderator: BradW

Postby andredp on Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:26 pm

Not having a trailer yet, I had to drive to Midvaal again for the racing. We were lucky in that we were sort of in the middle of the bunch for qualifying, and I wouldn't need to be at the track THAT early in order to get documentation and scrutineering done before quali. Anyway, at around 06:15 I left my place and me and Mitra were on the road. It was one of the coldest mornings thus far, but I had my warm jacked on, was wearing my helmet, and warm gloves. All went well until we hit the R59, and then it got REALLY cold. I started losing the feeling in my fingers, and had to resort to alternatively warming my hands under a leg to try and prevent them from bloody freezing off. Luckily I go to the track in one cold but not frozen piece, and went to get documentation sorted.

One thing about joining the Historics tour, is that you have to now run the tour backings etc. So now I had to fit new backings and numbers. Luckily Woolfie gave me heads up the night before and I could remove the old backings and numbers. I fitted the new backings and numbers, and we were off to scrutineering. Got that out of the way, sorted transponders, cameras etc and waited for quali.

Qualifying:
I had in a previous race qualifying spun the car at Midvaal on turn 1, and with it being so cold, I decided to rather take is very cautious for 3 laps, which I did. The reports of a very slippery track the previous day also didn't help. despite that, I started pushing, and found a fair amount of grip. I had to on 3 occasions back off and clear some track space before doing a flying lap, but I felt ok with qualifying.

When results came out, I was glad to be starting 2nd in Class C.

Race 1:

We did our warmup lap and I lined up on the left inside line behind Grass. I got a better start then Grass as he was spinning wheels and trying to catch his rear end, and pulled up right next to him on the inside. I managed to stay there and even squeeze in between Wayne and the "nasty old toppie", while class A was having some altercation between comrades of the class. I held on to the position till he flew past me under power on the back straight. I was pretty pleased with the start since I could at least get Grass behind me for a short while and hopefully he'd hold Glen and Neil up for a while. Unfortunately Grass was just behind him, and he passed me between turn 6 and 7, and then promptly stuck up his hand to indicate trouble. This was good because the yellows were out, and I was concentrating on him and didn't even notice. We continued under safety car, but two other guys obviously didn't see the flags in the 3 preceding marshals posts and came flying past, second one almost scaring me to death with swerving out in front of me at high speed. Anyway, we proceeded for a couple of laps until the track was safe and the racing continued. Grass managed to pass Gary on the back straight while they both pulled away from me under power, but by the exit out of the horseshoe I was on Gary's rear panel. Another safety car made us again fall into line and just lap Midvaal waiting for everything to be cleared up. After some laps the race restarted and I could not get past him and we were having a battle with me being faster through the corners and he having power on the straights to pull away from me. This continued to the end of the race. Pretty frustrating finish for me to have to fight a car in a different class and not getting past him to fight the faster guys in my own class.

Result: SURPRISE, I actually broke out with a little 1600 8V (NOT SO SLO)cam erm Rocam. I finished 3rd in class C, with both Grass, Glen and myself breaking out. Now have a personal best of 1:16.291 around Midvaal.
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Re: Midvaal Race Diary - 17 July 2010

Postby andredp on Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:28 pm

Race 2:

Having broken out in Race 1, we were now relegated to the back of the grid. Unfairly (in my opinion :) ) I was the one to start WAY last on the back of the grid. I really didn't mind really since I was still too surprised with the time I did. This was going to be interesting. We went out and lined up, but I had a problem. In order for me to see the lights, I had to stretch my neck out like a tortoise :D

Lights came on and went out and I got a good start, and after Grass sliding around like a snake again I managed to fall in behind him to try and catch a tow. He braked early and I had to swerve to avoid him, but I managed and backed off to pull in behind him again. Through turn 1 went inside and took a close line and then through turn 2 I took a wide line to make space for Grass and another backmarker. Through 3 I took my line since I had now passed them and through turn 4 I passed another car. Down the back straight Tim run out from under me with his turbo, but into turn 6 I caught up to him and some others. Into the horseshoe I passed Tim and another car, and saw Johan spinning in front of me :) Managed to go past behind him and started chasing further. Caught up with another car and passed him going out of turn 4. On the straight Grass came past me again under power, and I followed him for a while. Around 2 laps later we caught up with Wayne and the main class C bunch and Grass passed Wayne on the pit straight. I stuck to Wayne's rear through turns 1 to 4 and then out of turn 5 I got a good drive and slipstreamed him for a few seconds and then passed him on the straight. For a few seconds I was worried that I would not be able to pull out from under him, but just managed to pull in in front before we got to the 100m board. I chased hard and passed another car before going into the horseshoe and me and Grass was now behind Glen, Neil and another car in battle. Going into the back straight we were 7 in a row and chasing hard. They all pulled away from me on the straight but them having a battle enabled me to catch up to them under braking. I passed one car coming out of turn 6 and concentrated to sticking to Grass' rear panel :) We were passed by a class A car that slowed down Grass just enough for me to get a bit of a tow and not lose that much down the back straight, but he quickly pulled away from me. I managed to get close again and Grass passed Glen and then I also managed to squeeze past in the horseshoe. On the main straight Grass passed Neil but going into the back straight with some class A help Grass went slower and Neil passed him. I managed to stick with Grass for a little while and then he pulled away again, like the rest of them. They were now going 4 cars almost next to each other with Neil going right and taking a defensive line, Grass chasing him down. This looks fairly scary and I knew Neil brakes a little earlier than me, so I backed off just a tad at the end to stay clear of possible chaos. Sure enough Grass didn't expect Neil's brake action and put a wheel on to Neil's rear panel and I think spun. Next moment Neil was spinning in front of me and luckily came to a stop and I could take a quick avoidance path to the left. This all played into my hands and I got through and passed the other car that managed to fly past on the right. I had a better drive and passed him, but then saw yellow flags and backed off. I wasn't sure when the yellows started, and decided to wave him past in case the yellows was out when I passed him. On the main straight blue flag waved, and into turn 1 he passed me to take back the position. I stayed behind him for a lap but then raced hard behind him chasing all the way, eventually outbraking him into turn 1 and taking back the place :) in the same turn where he came past. I caught up to Ken under braking after the back straight and passed him coming out of the horseshoe. The next 2 or 3 laps was pretty uneventful until the chequered flag ended the race. What an awesome race!

Result: Starting from the back of the Grid, got First in class and possibly one of the awesome-ist races I've ever had :D

Had to leave fairly soon after for the thankfully not as cold drive home.
Andre'
andredp

Re: Midvaal Race Diary - 17 July 2010

Postby andredp on Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:30 pm

Some vids for those who may be bored on a Friday afternoon...

Johan P doing balet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw7oBot1ftQ

Wayne getting passed ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTnqzwbSn78

Me benefitting from some consternation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxuXlb1ocDA
Andre'
andredp

Return to Locost Racing