Lichtenburg Race Diary - 3 July 2010

Dedicated to the discussion of racing Locosts and similar cars.

Moderator: BradW

Postby andredp on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:20 pm

I left home at 06:40 on Friday morning, not really looking forward to the bad roads on the way to Lichtenburg. Greg Woolfson was kind enough to lend me his trailer, and the Caddy pulled it at a fair pace. I drove on the N14 towards Krugersdorp from Centurion, then on to Magaliesburg, Derby and Ventersdorp. About 5km outside Ventersdorp I gave Hermann a call and found I was only about 5km’s behind him, him coming from Potchefstroom’s side. Spoke to Johan P a little later and he was 5km ahead of Hermann, so we were all going to arrive roughly at the same time. After waiting 15minutes or so at the road works I managed to get into the track and unload. I did one session and it felt ok-ish. Bloody hell but I had forgotten how rough the track actually is. I also forgot to enable my lap timer screen, and had no idea what times I was doing. Skipped a session and again did the second last session for the day, I think. Off we went to the B&B where Hermann, Wayne, Johan P and I were staying. A very pleasant place and I will definitely use it again next time. Had a shower and then headed into town for some grub, etc

Saturday:
We decided that we would leave for the track at 06:30, and that we did. After again standing in road works queues we got to the track nice and early and warmed up the cars. We were the first to qualify IIRC, and had to get ready early.

Qualifying: 08:00
Qualifying went well, and for the first time I felt comfortable with the car. I intended only doing 5 or 6 laps because I didn’t want to subject my baby to too much of Lichtenburg “tarmac”, but I ended up chasing some of the other class C okes, and started having too much fun and that plan went completely out the window, erm or shall we say out the rollcage.

Results came out and I was over the moon to find out that I had actually managed to score first grid position for class C :D Much joy. Best time on the last lap, while having fun :)
Filled up with juice and checked over Mitra to make sure she was still in good shape for race 1. Time flew and before we knew it, we had to go line up in pre-race.

Race 1: 10:00 - ish
Out we went and I tried my best to get some heat into the tyres. With Lichtenburg being such a short track, you struggle to get heat into the tyres in only 1.6Km. I did my first mock start ever(generally don’t believe in it), and moved through the cars to line up in 13th position. Neil MacLeod in class B was lined up next to me, Robert Wark also in class C right behind him, and I had by now found out the he was definitely faster than me in the straights, and I would need to get a good start to try and out drag him to turn 1. Luckily I had the inside line. Held the revs a little higher then I usually do, and took a deep breath.
Lights came on and off, and I got a demon of a start, and managed to get in front of Neil and Ken and keep up with the class B cars through turn 1 and got right on their tails under braking for turn 2. I had the inside line and stuck to it, and John Glover had to go a bit wide. Felt a bit bad to take the line since he is racing class B, but I had to try and put some distance between me and the other class C guys. Going through turn 3 the snake straightened out and all through turn 4 and down the back straight I managed to stick with the pack. Lauren came past me on the main straight. Then braking very late for the hairpin in the second lap I had a tail out moment, but managed to catch it, compromising my exit speed coming out of the turn, and a fell back a bit. Lauren got past Piero on the back straight and I tried my best to try and stick as close to them and let them mentally pull me along. They pulled a good gap though all the way up the main straight. I didn’t settle well into rhytm and was driving a bit sloppy, even for Lichtenburg. Ken caught up to me and passed me on the back straight, and I now knew the other class C okes would be hunting for me. Little later Grass flew past me up the main straight, and there was nothing I could do but just watch him go past, secretly hoping he would break out  . I must have by then already damaged my left rear tyre, because I was getting some fairly exciting over steer in right handers. I thought the driving was to blame though. We came up to Hermann and Anton down the back straight, and I dived into the corner before Hermann could. Later found out he had a clutch problem and was going slow for a reason. Got lapped a second time by Grant and the class A clan. Neil MacLeod (class B) also passed me, and I could see Robert in class C in my mirrors. I followed Neil for about 2 laps and then he spun it coming out of turn 5 into the main straight. I had to slow down a bit to see where he was going but managed to safely pass him while he was farming. This unfortunately allowed Robert to close up a big piece of the gap I had on him, and he was now showing up in my mirrors big time. I pulled a gap again through the mid part of the circuit, but on the back straight he made up what he lost. On the main straight I went defensive on the inside and he took the outside line, but I kept it through turn 1 and 2. I pulled a small gap again through the mid part, and kept it on the back straight. Some of the class A cars passed us again, and on the main straight Robert took advantage of that and passed me under power on the inside just before turn 1. I stuck to his rear and got a good line through turn 2 and was on his tail through turn 3, going a bit faster through it then he was. I gained on the way to turn 4 and dived to the inside and took the line. When he went for the brakes I braked a tad later and took the position back. I braked a tad harder and he had to follow suite and I got on the power early enough to stay ahead down the straight while praying for the flag. On the main straight I took a very defensive inside line to prevent him from pulling the same stunt twice, and managed to keep him behind me but very close on my tail. I got a better drive through turn 1 and two with him watching James coming up to lap us. James got past me and I had now managed to pull a slight gap. Went up the main straight and was delighted to see the end of race 1 :)

I was lucky that Grass broke out and I got first for the heat! Neil de Later had some heat problems and Glen had accelerator cable problems. This bode well for my chances in the second race.
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Re: Lichtenburg Race Diary - 3 July 2010

Postby andredp on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:22 pm

Race 2:
My hopes was high for race 2 with Grass and Glen at the back and Neil a couple of positions down. Hermann lend me his spare tyre, and I could go on track again with some rear grip. The old tyre was really stuffed. Will post some pics my dad took.
The second race turned out to be a bit of a blur for me. The camera was also not running, so I can’t go back and refresh my memory unfortunately. I remember having a fair start, but that is about all. I held on for as long as I could, but Neil D, Glen and Grass was on their way. Neil managed to pass me around lap 10, and Glen followed suit fairly soon. I managed to stick with them for a while, but Grass came up on my tail. We were going to have a big 4 car tussle. Yellow flags came out, Neil D put up his hand and at the next marshals post I saw the “SC” board, safety car was out. BIG 4 car crash unfortunately taking out some nice cars, and we continued around for another lap and finished the race under safety car. A bit disappointing, but the good news was that with us finishing so close together under safety car, I got overall 1st place for the day!!!

It was a fairly long wait for price giving, but the nice “Kerrie en rys” of the local “tannies” made the wait bearable, and we were able to watch some racing and have some friendly banter. With price giving done, we headed for the B&B really looking forward to the braai and “refreshments” we had waiting. Braai was lit and story swopping started. We had a lekker time looking at race footage and it was awesome to have various views of the same race. Swapped out stories and gave each other lots of grief for every slipup and what not. When drinks, food and energy ran low, we decided to retire to comfort.

Sunday
Bit of late sleep (sort of) was nice. Off we went on the trip back with LOADS of fond memories, some of us feeling worse for wear after the racing and celebrations, hey guys ;)

Budget and Transport:
My Caddy used 89L of fuel, which included the collecting and return of the trailer from/to Mr Woolfie. I travelled around 687Km, and spend R 757 on fuel. Average fuel consumption on the Caddy for the trip was 7.7km/l or 12.95l/100km. The track is 263km from my house according to google maps, and google also estimated around 3 ½ hours of driving, which turned out to be pretty accurate. Overall a fairly expensive weekend, with accommodation for the 2 days costing me R 880 (single room, sharing rates is much better). Total budget around R 2600. Luckily Lichtenburg is only once a year.
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Return to Locost Racing