Kyalami Race Diary - 26 September 2009

Dedicated to the discussion of racing Locosts and similar cars.

Moderator: BradW

Kyalami Race Diary - 26 September 2009

Postby andredp on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:30 pm

Kyalami Race Dairy – 26 September 2009

Friday
Again I was lucky enough to be able to pack most of the kit on Thursday night already. Early Friday morning I could just load Mitra and we were off. Being a Friday between a public holiday and a weekend the road was quiet and we arrived at Kyalami just after 08:30, unloaded Mitra and kit. Went out on practice 2 or 3 sessions and managed decent enough times. Hermann on his second race showed a good amount of guts taking on Kyalami and seemed to be enjoying the experience. We got documentation and scrutineering out of the way, and I did another session before I had to leave.

Saturday
Up early but not SO early :) , since we only qualified for Lotus Challenge at 08:55, and had ample time to arrange for transponders etc
Qualifying went ok, and I only stayed out about 4 laps. I managed at 2:06.677 and qualified 15th on the grid, second in class X, behind Neville with a 20V Birkin without a windscreen, less then a second faster then me. I was a bit worried and excited at the same time looking forward to a great race with him. Willy was again not racing which was a big shame.

SRA qualifying didn’t go that well time-wise due to the cement on the track. Someone from the Modified Production Cars/Silvercup clan went around the whole of Kyalami leaving a trail of oil, which had to be cleaned up first. What a mission, and this delayed the program by what must have been at least half an hour. Qualified 12th on the grid for SRA. Tim behind/next to me and Hermann behind us. Qualifying time of 2:07.958

Lotus Challenge Race 1:
I was a bit slow off the start but I think the stalled class A car upset some people and after getting past him I found myself not too far behind Lauren and slotted in between Lauren and Neville. Unfortunately for me Neville had non of that and passed me under power on the outside of turn 2. I was on a compromised line through Nashua but managed to catch up under braking for turn 4. On the straight Grass passed me and I slotted in behind him to try and slipstream, but he pulled out from under my nose. Through Sunset I was much faster and exiting I pulled alongside Grass but he had the inside line for Clubhouse. He made it stick and I had to go wide and slot in behind him again. I followed through and watched as he had a look down the inside of Neville down the mineshaft, but Neville had enough horses and managed to hold on to the position. They were now pulling away but going through the sweep I was faster and caught up to them under braking. I followed and while Grass was having a look at going inside through the new corner, I was just hoping to hang on to them going into the main straight. We were neck on neck going through the last turn but they pulled away a bit on the straight, with Norman in class A passing us having gotten his car off the line. I was hoping for a bit of an upset as he was passing Grass but there was none of that. I was much faster than the others going through turn 1 to 4, and had to back off a touch going through 3 but was hard on the gas again and went tight through 4 to put a bit of pressure on Grass. He obviously took that is his stride, or must not have even noticed that ;) since he pulled away on the straight again. The next few laps I spend watching the battle, catching up through the faster corners like Nashua, Sunset and the mineshaft, but falling back on the straights. Grass managed to pass Neville on the main straight going into turn 1, but they slowed down a fair bit with the pass resulting in me almost bumping Neville from behind while negotiating the entry into Nashua. I had to back off resulting in a scary moment or two of unbalanced car, rubber and tar negotiations, but I managed to keep her pointing forward. The rest of the race I was chasing Neville trying to keep the gap as small as possible. Result: Second in class X by less than 0.6 seconds :)
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Re: Kyalami Race Diary - 26 September 2009

Postby andredp on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:35 pm

There was only one race between the LC and SRA races, and I had to hurry back to the pits to go and refuel and get ready for the SRA race.

SRA Race:
Due to time lost the SRA decided to combine the two 8 lap races into one 16 lap one, which was good. We got out of pre-race and did the warm-up lap and then stopped to line up in position before embarking on the rolling start lap. One of the racecars must have thought it was a standing start, since when we got under way he pulled of with a massive bang, almost ramming the car in front of him. Luckily he realized his mistake. After the safety car pulled in, Tim, Hermann and myself was full tilt going into the main straight since the pace was hot and we were in anyway almost being left behind :shock: Followed a bit of a boring race for me. I had a lucky break when I was about to be passed when the safety car came out and waved me past, while catching the leader just behind me. This gave me 2 laps at almost full pace to try and get as far ahead of the safety car as possible. After the safety car came in I was lapped by a couple of the frontrunners, and that was it. Result: 1st in what looks like a non existent GT2 class…

Lotus Challenge Race 2:
Starting race 2 in 14th position, I knew I would have to beat Neville by at least a second in order to take the class X win. As we went through the warm-up lap I became a bit worried since the sun was blinding in some corners. I was having trouble with my eyes burning and this made it worse. Luckily by the time the lights went out all the burn flew out the erm… visor. I got a decent start and eventually slotted in behind Piero, who had out-dragged me into turn 1. I couldn’t see Neville, who had missed a gear, and I could now concentrate on trying to stick with the 20Vs. Going into the mineshaft Wayne passed me, and I tries keeping up but they pulled a decent gap. Through some of the faster corners and the mineshaft I was able to reduce the gap, but on the straights they would pull away again. Ken passed me and then set about hunting Piero, giving me some time and I caught up with them going through the mineshaft and the braking thereafter. I was able to provide a bit of “distraction” to Ken but up the hill towards Wesbank I think it was, he passed Piero and then disappeared from my view. I chased for the rest of the race but that is how it ended. Result: First in class X with a best lap of the day of 2:06.017s. This also gave me the outright class X win for the day :)

Just want to say thank you to the Lotus Challenge and SRA racers for good racing, both Racing committees for their efforts, Frans, Stephan, Greg Etc and my dad for their support and cheering us on.

Congrats to Tim and Hermann for good racing and for the close dices they had!

Last race for the year is 7 November at Zwartkops. This is the ideal race for the new okes to start out. Hopefully Craig, Brian etc can join us for that one ;)
Andre'
andredp

Postby andredp on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:04 pm

Some pics courtesy of my dad:

Courtesy of Tim Clamp's team:

Andre'
andredp

Postby Van on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:39 am

A very entertaining report as usual Andre and I must say Mitra is looking great with her new shoes on :wink:
Ettienne

Building: Haynes Roadster -- 20V Silvertop -- T50
Van

Postby andredp on Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Andre'
andredp

Return to Locost Racing