Midvaal Race Dairy – 8 August 2009

Dedicated to the discussion of racing Locosts and similar cars.

Moderator: BradW

Midvaal Race Dairy – 8 August 2009

Postby andredp on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:51 pm

Friday
Thursday night I packed up most of the bits I was going to need, but couldn’t pack up everything since I was still to fit a new filler neck I was only going to pick up on Friday. I had to quickly fix some play in the right rear wheel I had found, but that was luckily just a loose bolt. Friday morning and I had to go into the office first, but at around 10:30 I got out of there and went home and fitted the new filler neck. I loaded Mitra and we were off. The drive to Midvaal is an hour drive for me, but it took longer with traffic etc. Got there around 13:30 if I remember correctly, and unloaded the car and completed documentation. Went and got scrutineering out of the way, and drove to the “pits” to go and find a spot. Hermann was there and I parked and greeted him. He looked very stoked and I could see he was enjoying his day  He had done 4 sessions which was good.
I got ready and we waited for our session to start. After sitting in pre-race for a fair while we eventually got out and I could do only 5 laps(happy with a 1:17.9 though) and then had to come in and pack up and leave in a hurry. By now I was seriously late, and I arrived to pick up the better half 90 minutes late, oops. Luckily I have an understanding better half, so long as I don’t asked her to come to the track with me ;)

Saturday
Up early and was on the road to Midvaal as 05:50, arriving at 07:00 and the pits was very busy already. Luckily I was ready for the day. Transponder collected and fitted, Hermann was also ready, we were waiting for qualifying.
Qualifying went ok, but I didn’t get a good concentration 100% committed lap, but managed a 1:18.1 qualifying lap and qualified 14th on the grid, front of class X. Willy was not doing the Midvaal race. Fred, second in Class X, just more then a second behind me, with Class B Paul in between us, about 0.8s behind me.
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Re: Midvaal Race Dairy – 8 August 2009

Postby andredp on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:52 pm

Lotus Challenge Race 1:

I was lined up surrounded by those dreaded 20V’s class B cars ;), and I knew they were going to be in front in turn 1. Fred was behind me and I was going to be happy if I just kept him behind me. Paul next to me really launches his car well, so I knew he would be in front, and I thought I would try and dive in behind him and try and follow him closely. Lights out and we were off. Lauren (in front of me) didn’t get a good start, and I had to go left to avoid her, and I pulled in next to her. Apparently the marshals didn’t like this, but no-one said anything afterwards, so I guess they figured out I had no choice. Once Lauren got up to speed she pulled ahead of me again and I fell in behind her. Gary had a good start and was in front of Lauren, but through turn 2 and 3 Ken and then Paul got past me as they had the inside line. The snake now more or less straightened out, we went onto the back straight. They pulled out from under me a bit, and one of the other guys starting from the back with an obviously stronger engine passed me on the straight and also passed Paul into turn 6. I caught up with the pack a bit and pushed hard through 6 and by the start line I was about 8 car lengths behind the pack. I caught up to Paul under braking for turn 1 and was on his tail through 2 and 3. On the back straight Paul left me behind again and I had to fight hard to try and sort of keep up with them. The next lap going into the back straight, turn 5 which is a real crappy turn, someone had gone a little wide and off into the rough, giving me the opportunity to catch up, and the pack with me in tow passed him. With their compromised run into the back straight, I managed to stay with the pack, and Paul made his move past Gary at the end of the straight, and I went into the turn early with a compromised line trying to stick my nose into the gap between Gary and Paul. Paul had gone through but Gary still had the better line, and pulled back up in front of me with a better drive out of turn 6. I followed Gary for the rest of the lap, and on the next lap through turn 1 I had to let the stronger car through again. I followed him closely into the back straight and Paul caught a bit of a wobbly and he and Gary didn’t get a very good run down the straight. I tried sticking to the stronger cars’s tail but he just pulled away. It did give me a good run and I managed to keep the gap between me and Gary down the back straight constant. I caught right up under braking for turn 6 and was up close to Gary. Ken must have had a slide or something because Paul and Gary passed him going into the horseshoe. I managed to stick with them until turn 1 when Gary went wide and Ken snuck through on the inside. Unfortunately Gary recovered and slid in behind Ken and I had to try and stick to his backside. Through turn 6 I again tried my luck as I saw Gary going wide, but he closed the door and I kept on the pressure. I outbraked Gary into turn 1 hoping he would go wide again but learned from his mistake and closed the door. My only chance now was to try turn 6 again. I kept on the pressure and managed to keep the gaps down the back straight more or less constant, as I got a great run into the back straight. I was late on the brakes for turn 6 but Gary was late on the brakes also. I dived to the inside again but Gary closed the door. He went a bit too wide though, and gave me the opportunity to get the power on before he could, and I took a tight line going into the short straight to the horseshoe and I was next to him. He pulled back and went right and then saw I was next to him and he must have gotten a little fright because he pulled back left and managed to lose control and spin it. For a moment I felt bad as I saw him spinning and hoped he didn’t damage his car(which he didn’t). I now had my sights on Paul and Ken having a battle and I was hoping they would slow each other down. I kept on closing the gap and Klippies came past to lap us. On the back straight James also safely passed us, and going into the horseshoe we passed Anton G and I was back closer up on Paul. Through turn 2 I had to back off a bit and I got a good run through 3 and 4 to stay with Paul. Through turn 5 I managed to latch onto Paul’s back and he gave me a good pull down the first half of the back straight and then pulled out from under me a bit. The rest of the lap I followed Paul fairly closely and the next lap into turn 2 I stuck the nose in close to let Paul know I was there ;) I got a pull again down the back straight and the battle was now between me and Paul, with Ken having pulled a gap by now. Glenton passed us and going into the horseshoe me and Paul was taking very strange lines to attack and defend  Good fun! Into the main straight we got the flag and the race was over. Hard work but SO much fun! I crossed the line 0.4 of a second behind Paul and 5 seconds behind Ken.

Thanx to Johan for the pics:
Andre'
andredp

Postby andredp on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:58 pm

Lotus Challenge Race 2:
Starting race 2 in 11th position, I was very excited to start behind Ken and Paul and with the prospects of having to fight hard to stay with them and hopefully making a move or two. I know these guys are both VERY experienced and that makes it a good learning experience for me. We lined up on the start grid and I was on the right hand side this time, which was better for me. I had a good launch but the 20V’s just pulled out from under me. Most of the guys tend to brake early so I knew I would be able to make up the lost time in turn 1. Now the next bit is what I can figure out from the camera footage, but it is a bit sketchy, so might not be 100%. From what I can see, James in class A didn’t get a good start, and Andrew in class B managed to pass him on the left by going wide and past his left and pulling in in front of him. Anton went on the inside and was close behind James. In the mean time Paul had gone through on the inside and passed Lauren on her right hand, and pulled in in between Lauren and Wayne. James or Andrew in front of him must have locked up, because there was smoke and I backed off a bit but caught up with Ken under braking. Most of the guys seem to have turned, but Ken swerved right and I followed his lead. As he swerved more and more I managed to do the same, and by now Ken and I were heading for gravel. We were way past turn in, but someone behind me hit me fairly hard on my right rear fender. Not too sure why, because this was WAY past the braking and turning in points, but anyway, I was trying to speed up on the grass but was just spinning wheels, or so I thought. Slowed the car right down and into first and went back to the track. As I changed into second and went back on I lost drive. Now realizing that something was wrong, I could do nothing else but go back into first and pull up behind the tire wall. DNF for race 2. So a very disappointing second race, with lots of damaged cars, and a big blow to the race budget. Drove back to the pits in first and third and called it a day after all the official reports was done etc.
Just want to say thank you to Johan, Frans Stephan, and Pieter for their support and cheering us on.
Congrats to Hermann for getting his first race meet under the belt. It is a real shame about the alternator wire coming out preventing the second race, next time!
Andre'
andredp

Postby andredp on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Newest racer:

My baby broken:

Some others:

Thanx for the support guys:
Andre'
andredp

Postby andredp on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:03 pm

Race footage of second race. Notice one almost cannot see the other car crashing into me, but one can hear him locking up and the hit itself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C9uFuC1OkM
Andre'
andredp

Postby andredp on Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:22 pm

So last night I stripped most of the bits off the engine and chassis, and today after collecting my engine crane, I lifted the engine out and then the box. Opened the box and had to figure out how this thing operates. Not too difficult though. After figuring out which gear is 2nd, this is what I found, oh apart from a broken spigot bearing also.

Box out:

Top opened:

Now if you know gearboxes the stripped teeth would be aparent immediately

Tooth on second gear stripped clean off:

Closer:

This is the broken 4 spd I bought from Muller that I will attemp to fix before going to my 5 spd. Hopefully I don't stuff it up :shock:

Andre'
andredp

Postby ross on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:58 pm

Hi Andre',
Were you in 2nd gear when the impact happened? Is the gear on the layshaft (countershaft) ok? Can't see clearly in the photos. The only advice I would offer is be careful not to separate the synchro hubs, bits fly off in all directions.
Ross
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Postby andredp on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:12 am

Hi Ross

Yes I was in 2nd gear. Only the little teeth on the second gear is stripped off, all the other gears incl the layshaft gears looks ok, but I guess I'll only know for certain once I strip it and check. Enjoy the break.
Andre'
andredp

Postby FredA on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi Andre,

I could not see the damage to the teeth from the pics.

Were you referring to the teeth on the broken synchro ring?
FredA

Postby andredp on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:09 am

Hi Fred

Since a fair amount of guys asked, I made this drawing, hope this makes it a little more clear:

And thanx to Derek vdM I now have a replacement second gear that I can fit. Thanx again Derek.
Andre'
andredp

Postby Bosbeer on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:48 am

Ah, ok, now I see it :shock:

Could have been worse :wink:
Raced: #15 Formula Ford Kent Matt-a-daw MK2 in '08/'09 :mrgreen:
Raced/Crashed :P : #8 Formula Ford Kent Talon in '10 :mrgreen:
Raced: #L51 Locost in the Lotus Challenge 2012 - 2014
Racing: #36/70 Locost in AES 2013 - current
Bosbeer

Postby FredA on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:07 am

ouch!

But not too bad though - possibly jumped partially out of or into gear in the impact, and the synchro and dog teeth took all the load, and that is why the synchro broke as well.

Just as well you did not drive or else you could have done more damage.

Glad to hear you now have parts to replace.
FredA

Postby andredp on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:10 am

Jip, not as bad as I had imagined. Fred, the syncro and stripped parts you see in the pics is actually from another stripped box I have, which is a 4 speed. The syncro on my box still looks fine.
Andre'
andredp

Postby FredA on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:20 pm

Oh that is a relief.

So the damage is even less then.

Do you have all the parts now.
FredA

Postby andredp on Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:23 pm

Yep, from the look of it, I only need second, which I've got. Phoned one of the gearbox rebuild places on Friday to find out what it would cost to replace the gear, they want R970, so I might just get them to replace it for me, since time is a bit tight at the moment. Have lots of other work and have to help some other guys with cars, so might chicken out this time and get the job done :)
Andre'
andredp

Return to Locost Racing