Arnolds Build Diary

Moderator: BradW

Arnolds Build Diary

Postby BradW on Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:55 pm

Hi,
I've finally got round to putting Arnold Charltons' build diary on the site, as you see the car is now finished, but I am missing a few months pictures, I'll post them once Arnold gets back from his holidays,

http://www.locost.co.za/BuildDiaries/Arnold/Arnolds_Sport.htm

We're hoping to persuade Arnold to bring his car along to the Cars in The Park at Zwartkops on the 6th August, come along and check out this stunning build.

Brad
BradW
Site Admin

Green Rover V8

Postby JodyC on Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:24 pm

Hi Brad,
If using the Westfiled kit, how many alterations will be needed if I am to be using a small block V8?
JodyC

Re: Green Rover V8

Postby BradW on Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:00 pm

JodyC wrote:Hi Brad,
If using the Westfiled kit, how many alterations will be needed if I am to be using a small block V8?

If it's a steel block V8 forget it it's too heavy.
With the Westfield you'd need to order the SEiGHT kit, it's designed for a V8, then either a Rover or an LS1 (ali block) motor is just about the only choice.

Brad
BradW
Site Admin

Postby johan13 on Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:19 am

Hello Brad.

There's a problem with Arnold's April link.

Cheers
johan13

Re:

Postby BradW on Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:40 am

johan13 wrote:Hello Brad.

There's a problem with Arnold's April link.

Cheers

Thanks, now fixed...
Brad
BradW
Site Admin

Re: Arnolds Build Diary

Postby Land Locked on Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:43 pm

Is there any info on Arnold's build apart from the great pictures? I'd love to know what gearbox he's used and how he got it to fit the vw motor. The rest of the spec would also be most welcome.
Land Locked

Postby andredp on Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:10 pm

Arnold uses a RWD Alfa box, can't remember from which Alfa though. Between the box and the VW engine, he has a adapter plated bolted in. He runs a tricked out 2L 8V engine, with DICE itb's.
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Postby Land Locked on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:55 am

Thanks Andre.
Land Locked

Postby Dolos on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:56 pm

I bought the car from Arnold last year. Unfortunately, we had to do a re-build because the car was never driven and sorted properly. We started by removing the Alfa gearbox and did a complete re-installation. The car featured a linkage system between the gear lever and the actual Alfa gearbox which just did not work properly. The Alfa gearbox also collapsed within about 200 kilometres. Initially we tried to fit a Ford Sierra bellhousing and T9 gearbox but due to space limitations we opted to leave the Alfa bellhousing as it was. (VW 2L engine, adaptor plate as designed by Colin Clay initially, Alfa bellhousing which we re-designed at the back to take the Ford gearbox and then the T9 gearbox). Obviously it was a trial and error exercise but thankfully we have a local guy called Ken Gosforth in Nelspruit that knows how to do it! The car now runs an Isuzu starter motor,Renault clutch and pressure plate assembly etc. If anybody needs detailed info on this modification I will gladly connect you with Ken. The final result was very good and the car was transformed completey with this modification.
We also installed a new Gotech system and re-mapped the car. Gert Conradie, the local Gotech expert also made changes to the wiring and the injectors and the result was spectacular. It pushes 100 kw on the rear wheels and it is sufficient to leave a few big heavyweights behind from robot to robot! A really nice experience indeed!
The complete cooling system had to be re-build as well because the initial design was incorrect and we changed the complete system.
I also re-build the complete exhaust system and installed a Tnt silencer which also upped the Kw's a bit. At the moment I am busy installing a ram-air system in place of the normal air cleaner which will also pushes up the output at speed. I will post a few pictures once this is sorted.
18 months later and for the first time I can really enjoy the car and enjoy our spectacular mountain passes in the Lowveld! What a pleasure! It is a phenomenal drive!! I think the secret of these cars is to get to a point where the horsepower matches the suspension capabilities and that is where I am now..a balanced track/road car that is absolutely a pleasure to drive fast.
The next phase will be to import the soft top and the correct roll bar from Westfield in the UK but because of our weak rand it will have to wait a bit until such time that the rand improves a bit. Kindly let me know should anybody require further detailed information.
Kobus Pretorius.
Nelspruit.
kobus.pretorius@absamail.co.za
Dolos

Return to Westfield