My Build - Luego Locost SA - 20V Toyota 4AGE

Viento, Velocity & Locost

Moderator: BradW

Postby andredp on Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:39 am

Hehe, yes I'm not locking up every time though, just ones or twice with a passenger to give them the thrill :)

Update: Mon 5 June:

I stripped the pully off my spare engine and it was not as hard as it was with the engine in my car, mainly because of ample space when working on the engine out of the car.

Compared the two pulleys and found the reason why the key came loose. Basically the pully on my current engine has a bit missing. Will see if I can get it welded up, any expert opinions out there? Check out the pics for a better look(5 June).
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Postby muller on Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:43 pm

Are the pulleys the same size?

If so fit the spare one to you car to get it going, then you have plenty of time to have the broken one fixed/replaced.
muller

Postby andredp on Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:53 pm

Yeah the pulleys are the same size, but unfortunately the old one also has the timing wheel welded to it, so I'll have to get the other pully modified first before I can get her running again. Probably two weeks then I can get her running again and see whther I have any other damage.
Andre'
andredp

Engine power

Postby Gregt on Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:10 pm

Hi Andre,
Sorry if I am “Hijacking” your post but as we have already talked about 20V power figures here it is probably as good a place to continue.
As I said earlier I discovered that I did not have full throttle opening (I went to look art some motors at one of the importers to try and see why this happened and it looks like when the engines are packed into containers for shipping they get quite battered. Some of them get the throttle spindle bent and instead of the linkage clearing the top of the fuel rail boss it gets bent down and hits it.) Anyway with this corrected I still did not seem to have more power and assumed that the mapping was not allowing any extra fuel for the additional air so no extra power. Before I had the mapping looked at I also took the car to Viper to fit a 4 into 2 into 1 manifold and 63 mm diameter exhaust. Although Abel claimed that this set up should be worth about 10 kW it also did not seem to make much difference on its own. It sounds good though, not much louder but nice and deep. I then took the car to Ross at RBTS Racing in Kempton Park (011 979 4428) as some of the racing guys recommended him.
His secretary phoned me later to say the car was ready an now made 72 kW! This was quite disappointing as it had previously made 81kW but when I collected it Ross explained that he does not believe in correction factors and this is the “raw” power that the car actually puts on the road at Highveld altitudes. He also brought down the VVT set point from 3000 revs to 1400 revs as he says you only need to be off the advanced setting to get a good idle. He also switches it off again at about 7800 revs as he says you need this to get maximum power. (I know that the standard Toyota system also kicks out at this rev range but none of the Toyota forum comments seemed to know why this happened.)
In conclusion my car probably has about 5 kW extra power now but the mid range is much better (about 40% extra between 2000 and 3500 revs according to the graph from Ross). So clearly the exhaust is not worth 10 kW but how much of the extra mid range is from the manifold and how much from the mapping I don’t know. The car is a bit ratty if I need to creep forward in traffic between about 1500 and 2000 revs so perhaps the VVT should only be set to kick in at 2000 revs not 1400.
Ross also says from his experience the Blacktop motors are worth between 10 and 15 kW more than the Silvertops. I am not sure if this is because the Blacktop motors he has tuned have been modified as I know the race cars that he has done have had the A6 spec rally conversion done. It will be interesting to see what power a standard Blacktop does on his Dyno as comparison.
Regards,
Greg
Gregt

Postby andredp on Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:02 am

Hi Everyone

An update at last. After two weeks or so I got my spare pulley modified.

So, I got to Zwartkops to fix my car, and immediately realised that it was one of those good news bad news days.

Good news is: I managed to get the key back into the crank, and fit the newly modified pulley. After checking everything, putting back sparkplugs and dizzy caps etc, I tried starting the engine, and it started and purre like before :D Revved her up once or twice and she seems to be running well again.

Bad news is: As I looked down into the engine bay after arriving at the car yesterday, I saw her green coolant on the floor :evil: :cry:

So, after starting her and making sure the engine was ok, I stripped the front of the engine again and removed the waterpump. The leak was definitely on the pump, but after splitting the pump, I cannot positively identify where the pump was leaking. Anyway, a new (genuine Toyota this time) waterpump gasket is on order. I hope this one will hold up to the (ab)use of the engine.

So there you have it, I still cannot take my baby for a spin again :roll:

GregT:
I replaced the thermostat in my car with the one from the spare engine, but they don't really look the same, although I think they will perform in the same way. I'll take a couple of pics of the thermostat as soon as I have got time.
With regards to the power, I am surprised you didn't get a lot more power from upgrading the exhaust. I also have a 52mm exhaust at the moment, and I hope I'll get my missing horses by upgrading the exhaust and remapping the ECU.
BTW, I activate my VVT only on about 4000rpm, as this was where the VVT started making a difference.

What is the changes to the engine to get to A6 Rally spec?
Andre'
andredp

Postby andredp on Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:29 am

Update:
After waiting for two days Toyota managed to get me a gasket for the waterpump. When I enquired in the beginning of the year about the price of a gasket, they quoted me R256 or something around there, and guess what I paid for it yesterday? A whole R56! Now, if they gave it to me for this price in January, I might not have had to fix the pump again this week :evil:

Anyway, I'll most likely only be able to fit the pump etc again this sunday, and hopefully I will get my car running properly again for the Super Trax day on the 16th.
Andre'
andredp

A6 Spec Engine

Postby Gregt on Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:40 pm

Hi Andre,
I do not know the technical details of the A6 conversion but it is Toyota SA's rally spec motor. It is what the top guys are running in the 1600 class of the Lotus Challenge and is apparently worth about 20 kW at the flywheel with 102 octane fuel. It is not really suitable for road use due to the fuel requirements and the fact that it only really comes on the cam at about 6000 revs and is pretty slack below about 4000 revs. It is probably also quite expensive as it has a gas flowed head and billet cams which then need new valve springs as the standard springs can not accept more than about 1/2 mm extra lift.
e-mail me the photo's of your 2 thermostats, I think I could still recognize the correct type. Believe me, even thermostats that look like they are identically sized and work the same do not necessarily allow the car to run cool under all conditions!
Regards,
Greg
Gregt

Postby Ivan on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:54 pm

Hi Andre'

I was checking out your build diary this evening and noticed your broblems with the pully - I am about to go down the road of putting a timing wheel on my blacktop front pulley and there were a couple of things bothering me.

1/ The pulley is spinning at one serious rate - should one get it balance after welding on the timing wheel - if you don't could the imbalance not cause the centre cast iron piece to break up around the key way?

2/ The pulley seems to be made up of a cast iron centre piece with a steel outer piece with a rubber?? insert between them - this is very similar to the balancer on a V8 motor and does it not serve the same purpose - ie to remove some of the harmonics from the crank. - If it does will welding the timing wheel onto the outer steel bit firstly not heat damage the rubber insert and secondly interfere with the balancing function by giving it totally different dynamics.

3/ If the above is the case it would be better to somehow machine a face on the cast iron portion and bolt the timing wheel to that keeping it clear of the steel parts and then get the whole lot dynamically balanced - this is the way I think I will be going unless some of you out there can advise otherwise from experience.

Maybe I am imagining problems that don't exist - if so I would welcome advice.
Ivan

Postby andredp on Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:56 am

Sat 8 July:
I replaced the waterpump gasket and fitted the waterpump to the car. Didn't replace the water as I wanted the sealant to settle and I wanted to get home as I have the next project to work on. All seemed to be well apart from some water still dripping on the floor, but I might well be water that was on the engine, but I was a bit worried.

Sun 9 July:
Got to the car and found that there was still some marks where it seemed like some water dripped, but I completed assembly of the engine and started her up. Waited for warm up and check water the whole time. Checked under the car and was disappointed because there was some more coolant on the floor :evil: bugger. Can't figure out where she is still leaking. Anyway, took her for a test drive and to get some petrol, and stopped off at my parents' place. Saw a small patch that looked wet after she was standing for a while, but could not see any leaks on the engine. Drove her back to Zwartkops and she was dry. Seemed like the water must have been some that was still trapped on the engine or if it was leaking, it fixed itself :roll: So, on thursday I will have a bit of time to go around and check her out and take her for a quick spin, and hopefully I will get to her still dry and ready for the Super Trax day on sunday.

Ivan:
Yes, the pully looks like it has got some sort of balancing function. The guys that welded the gear on the pulley assured me though that they have done many of these, so it is safe. Having said that, I suspect that the failure of the pulley might be because we never had time to balance the pulley. We wanted to, but I wanted to get the car started before the end of 2005, and therefore we didn't send the pulley in for balancing. I was going to send it in later, but never got around to it. The new pulley they welded up for me was balanced though. Hold thumbs that it will last.
Yes, you need to welde that pulley carefully. I think they put the pulley in a water cooling bath while welding it, to protect the rubber damper/lining.

Are you planning on running fancy sequential injection or wasted spark timing? If you are not, then might I suggest that you rather do a dizzy conversion then welding a gear to the crank pulley.
Andre'
andredp

Postby andredp on Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:27 pm

Howdi everyone

Just a quick update. I took my car for a long trip yesterday, and she seems to be cured of her tendency of leaving some water on the floor. Took me more then a month to get her going again, which has delayed some of the finishing touches that I wanted to have completed by now, but it is not too bad.

Hoping for a awesome Super Trax day on sunday, see you there.
Andre'
andredp

Postby andredp on Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:17 pm

Hi Everyone

After cutting two big vents in the bonnet, the car does seem to run a little bit cooler. The highest the temps went to on Sunday was to about 95degs, and I know it starts spitting out water at 100degs. I did not really have a chance to push the car to the max, but I think the vents helped a lot. Will leave it as is for now, and see how things go. The next test will probably be when I have her on the dyno again.
Andre'
andredp

Postby andredp on Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:11 am

Howdi Everyone

Trust you had a good newyears :)

It has been just over a year since I first started the car and took her for her maiden voyage around the neighbourhood, and I thought it would be good to share my experience.

I have had some problems with the car the whole year, which I am living with since even with the problems, the car is just too much fun not to drive. The problems are 1) the fact that I cannot keep her cool around the track on a hot day 2) the rear brakes still lock up before the fronts and 3) gearbox oil escapes from its prison on every drive.

After about 10 Super Trax days and 2500km, the clutch has now given up on me. I removed the engine last night and took off the pressure plate and inspected the clutch plate. It looks like the clutch material has come loose from the metal plate, although not in a hectic way. If you look at the plate, it still looks fine with lots of material left, but if you look at it from the side, you can see the material is sort of \"loose\". All the rivits is still in place, and the center section looks almost like new. As I have a spare engine with a used pressure plate, I will remove that and if its condition is still good, I will use that for now.

The reason for me not going to a new plate, is simply that I am not too sure what caused the current plate's problems. The bellhousing is generally dirty with an oily substance, but not such that I can say that it is what caused the plate's failure. Using a spare plate then to see if that also packs up, I think is reasonable.

The car has been a blast driving this year, but now needs some tlc and cleaning up, and will in future be more a road car then a track toy. I intend using the new car, ;) yes I am well on my way in building a new car, for the track mostly, and will use the blue car for road fun and maybe borrow her to a friend or two that I know can drive to have some fun on a track day. They will not be as hard om her as I was though.

I will be doing some cosmetic work on her, which I should have done a long time ago. There are quite a few bits that needs to be cleaned up/fixed/beautified and I am also contemplating new(proper this time) carpets and a boot of some sorts. The sidescreens I have been planning on fitting also needs to be done, and then I need to fit wipers. After all this I plan to get her registered, which I haven't bother with yet mainly because I hate dealing with government and paper!

I will also need to sort out the brake balance before registration, and I have a plan for that also, but will keep you guys update.

I hope everyone will have a good 2007 and get your a$$es moving and finish those cars, I need guys to go with me on breakfast runs :wink:
Andre'
andredp

Clutch issues

Postby andredp on Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:11 am

Reporting back on the clutch problems, I am glad to say that it is fixed and the car is running nicely again.

In the end I swapped the flywheel and whole clutch assembly from my \"spare\" engine to the engine in the Seven, as it had the slightly larger flywheel with clutch assembly, and it is \"free\" obviously. The clutch is working and feeling the same as it used to, so I am happy.

Now on to all the other bits and getting the new car finished.

PS. She is still leaking a tiny bit of water every now and again. I suspect that the pump is leaking through the shaft seals, as this is the only possible place that I can think of. Not much worry though, as it is not enough to cause concern.

Also did the first service on her, changed oil and filter, changed spark plugs around 100km ago already. The fuel filter can go 90 000 km, so didn;t bother with that. With the new clean oil the oil pressure seems to stay a bit higher on idle, will have to keep an eye on that.
Andre'
andredp

Postby andredp on Thu May 31, 2007 7:31 am

Hi Everyone

I think it is time for an update on my baby since it seems like I have solved a problem or two.

Firstly, a while ago she was giving problems on a trax day which looked like fuel starvation. The pump also sounded stressed so I got one of the spare pump in the garage and thbe hunt began for a pre-pump fuel filter. I found one and eventually had to make new brackets for the pump in order to relocate it and fit the filter. That done and I was VERY disappointed that the problem still persisted. I eventually found that the bracket holding the crank sensor came loose, tightened that up and she is running sweetly again. Having the programmable management system, and being able to hook the laptop up to it to check engine functions helped a lot with eventually finding this problem.

Secondly, and the best, is that I seem to have solved the overheating problems :D At the recent breakfast run my baby started spitting out all the coolant liquid and I decided to head home to swap her for the tintop. When I got home I think she realised what is happening and she was all dry :) Me and me bro decided to continue and cought up with the \"gang\" who were waiting at the offramp from the highway. There I saw she was still leaking a bit but I decided to continue. Filled up and head for hom after the lovely breakfast and took a detour past my parents place. She was fine there. Got home and let her stand for a while. Tony gave me a spare pump thoug from his old engine and I decided to fit it. Upon removing the old pump I could now see it was leaking through the shaft seals. Replaced with the other pump and she is now leak-less.

So, the last two Trax days/Practise days with her on the track saw her temps staying around 100degs with me really pushing her. I think the new pump must be working better now, and I am now wondering whether I should fit the oil cooler. I think I'll wait with that untill I have time to put her on the track again on a VERY hot day, so I can see how the temps look. She now also takes a fair bit longer to warm up.

She is now standing on around 3400KM, and I seriously need to change the tyres. The last couple of Trax days saw me sliding through all the corners, and I must admit that it was a good thing, since I have been learning a lot more about how to handle her when she is running on the limit of tyre \"adhesion\" :)
Andre'
andredp

Previous

Return to Luego