My Build - Luego Velocity

Viento, Velocity & Locost

Moderator: BradW

Postby Phil Bradley on Mon May 14, 2007 2:17 pm

Thanks Andre / Brad

I will have a look at the cylinders when I get home.

Nicole has volunteered to help me get the panels on so that's a relief. Are you sure about not cutting the back edge Andre? Is it possible that your panels were pre-cut? You have mail.

Cheers,

Phil
Phil Bradley

Postby andredp on Mon May 14, 2007 2:28 pm

Hi

I didn't bleed my brakes before cutting the rods, but I guess it is better. Also haven't done that with the second car, just a mission to get the rods out if you have to take them out after the whole system has been fitted and bled.

Don't think my panels are any different then yours. Both of my cars was done like that. No special cutting was required.
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Postby Phil Bradley on Wed May 16, 2007 1:50 pm

Been round to Brad and Ann this morning to settle the bill for some more toys, they were on there way to the Z, tough life for some hey?
I have bought the Cobra seats that were collecting dust in their store room, I have always wanted those seats so I am well impressed. Only problem is, they are going to be difficult to hide at my place - I'm not supposed to be buying any more toys for a while.I'll have to come up with something creative :roll:

Question for the Toyota 20V Blacktop runners - What is the best ignition coil to use? I have a standard distributor and I'll be running a Perfect Power XMSL.

Cheers,

Phil
Phil Bradley

Postby Phil Bradley on Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:13 pm

Hi All

I had an excellent day on Saturday in the garage.
I have finished fitting the N/S panel. Sunday I felt the after effects of one handed upside-down riveting.
I installed all the wishbones and suspension and it's starting to look like a car now. These were easier to fit the first time around.
The engine and gearbox are in and I am happy with the position. I have bought a shiny new throttle body and together with the new air trumpets, it all looks rather snazzy. My tappet cover has come back from being sprayed too.
I am just waiting for the wiring loom (nudge, nudge Andre) and then it's the cooling bits and pieces (nudge, nudge Brad / Ann) and I'll be off to get the exhaust made up.
I have eventually found the wheels I want. So now I know what I need to save up for...
For my previously unanswered question, in case anyone is interested, I have gone for the standard Toyota Blacktop ignition coil. It was a close call between Toyota and Nissan but given my past bad Nissan experience I went for Toyota.

Cheers,
Phil
Phil Bradley

Re:

Postby johan13 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:33 pm

BradW wrote:Type A is the "older" type , this sounds like the one you've got, the diff has 'splined holes' into which the drive shafts fit, the CV joints are integral with the shaft, and on the 'wheel end' the hub 'centre' is integral with CV joint and shaft.

Hello Brad.
JUST CHECKING – the Type A will fit into the chassis without any problems and you can still do the drum to disk conversion?
johan13

Re:

Postby BradW on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:59 am

johan13 wrote:
BradW wrote:Type A is the "older" type , this sounds like the one you've got, the diff has 'splined holes' into which the drive shafts fit, the CV joints are integral with the shaft, and on the 'wheel end' the hub 'centre' is integral with CV joint and shaft.

Hello Brad.
JUST CHECKING – the Type A will fit into the chassis without any problems and you can still do the drum to disk conversion?

Both types are identical apart from the way the drive shafts 'connect', in fact the flanges from a type B can be fitted to a type A, all the components apart from the driveshaft/hubs are the same, therefore either diff will fit the chassis, the bearing carriers are the same therefore the disk conversion will work with either.

Brad
BradW
Site Admin

Postby Phil Bradley on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:45 am

Two things to remember with the type A's
1. Ford, in all their wisdom made different size (diameter) that fits into the bearing, so check the size before buying bearings and uprights.
2. The wheel carriers are a different size to the \"norm\" so the standard disk won't fit.

Let Brad know what size you have an he will supply the hubs to fit.
I will update my diary when I know what is the correct disk size and type.
Phil Bradley

Re:

Postby BradW on Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:15 am

Phil Bradley wrote:Two things to remember with the type A's
1. Ford, in all their wisdom made different size (diameter) that fits into the bearing, so check the size before buying bearings and uprights.
2. The wheel carriers are a different size to the "norm" so the standard disk won't fit.

Let Brad know what size you have an he will supply the hubs to fit.
I will update my diary when I know what is the correct disk size and type.

Phil is right about the problems of Ford and which wheel bearings were used, just a couple of things to clarify about rear discs and hubs.

We don't supply hubs for any installations, the kit includes rear uprights, the hubs are always donor parts.

With the Sierra drum or disk you use the bearing carriers from the donor.
If you are converting a Sierra drum to a Sierra disc then you use the donor bearing carrier, our adapter plates, standard Sierra calipers and discs.

With the Golf caliper option the upright currently includes the bearing carrier built in, we only stock uprights to suit the larger wheel bearing size, the smaller size have to be made to ‘special order’. This problem does not apply to the ‘Lobro’ joint type drive shafts.
If you go for this option then we can supply calipers, spacers and disks that fit.

We are looking at doing a Golf caliper upright which uses the donor bearing carrier therefore avoiding the bearing size problem, until that is available I would recommend not using the Golf calipers with the smaller bearing size drive shafts.

If you are still confused then feel free to contact us while we are sorting out your order.

Brad
BradW
Site Admin

Postby Phil Bradley on Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:17 pm

Hi All

I haven't done much work on the car lately, mainly due to the fact that I wasted 4 hours last weekend trying to a P-clip out of the gearbox. I was removing them from the chassis and it fell into the GB where the lever is supposed to go. A word of advice, if your gear lever is not installed, put a plastic bag over the cavity.

I have received my wiring loom and ECU from Andre / Locost. Very professionally completed, well done Andre.

I now have most of the vehicle scattered around my garage so no more excuses but the lack of time. Once I have the temp wheels on, I will need to get it off to the exhaust chaps, not sure who I am using yet but I have some ideas.

Hopefully I will have some news on major progress after this weekend.

Cheers,

Phil
Phil Bradley

Postby Phil Bradley on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:58 pm

Hi
It's been a while since my last post. I have done loads of work on the car in the past few months, more than I've done in 18 months actually.

As of today, the car is still at Gary's getting the exhaust made. He has remade my engine mounts because he laughed at my original ones (I didn't make them) The engine was off center as some of the more astute of you will see, that is also the wrong thing to do for a road going car...Who knew?
The gearbox mount has also been remade, that also made Gary laugh (those I did make with my new welder - I suppose I shouldn't mess around with things I know nawt about).

I have finished the dash and scuttle, the dash is made with brushed aluminium and the clocks are VDO visions - the type with the rear coloured lights. I have installed the starter button and light switches. The whole scuttle is sitting in the garage where I can see it every day. I'm doing that because if the layout doesn't appeal to me at any stage I'll go back to the drawing board.

The sadest news is that my brand new wheels that I am so proud of were damaged in the move to Gary's shop. I had caliper brackets made for the Willwoods, they were a perfect fit for the small disks that I went for but I didn't see that the bottom of the calipers were touching the inner hub of the wheels. So, when I pushed the car onto the trailer, I gouged two big rings into the inside of the wheels. I will send them off to the mag repair place when I get the car back.

I'm still waiting for the nose and mud guards, I have been promised that they should be done shortly.

So, with any luck. I may be driving the car next month which is sooner than my initial estimate of two years. I'm looking forward to it as I still haven't driven one of these cars yet.
Phil Bradley

Postby Phil Bradley on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:17 am

Picked the car up on Saturday. Looking very neat.
Pictures and updates on my Weblog:
http://philsvelocity.wordpress.com/the-build/

The blog is a work in progress, trying to get the time to add entries. So, please excuse the look.

Cheers,
Phil
Phil Bradley

Postby muller on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:57 am

Phil

Have you wired in the XMS-L yet? would like to pick your brain if you have.
Anton

Race car 1: Birkin IRS 4AGE 20v (TLR class B - B10)
Race car 2: Birkin IRS 4AGE 20v (TLR Class B for SO - B20)
Road car: erm.. who cares
muller

Postby Phil Bradley on Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:54 am

Hi Anton
I have sold my PP to Craig. I was advised that the Microtech system is better for my engine and because I paid so much for the motor, I didn't want to skimp on the management.
I'll have a look through my documents and send you all the info I have for it.

Phil
Phil Bradley

Previous

Return to Luego