My Build - Luego Viento V8

Viento, Velocity & Locost

Moderator: BradW

My Build - Luego Viento V8

Postby Gerrie on Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:24 am

Well here I am, been a long time since my last post on 9th Nov 2005 a lot has happened and a very special thanx to 2 people whom I must say are doing the best job in the country of helping folks like me - the first time builder - to make it a reality! Thankyou Brad and Ann for making my dream come true by selling me the Viento as a starter special as well as the other bits and pieces, you have a lot more space now! :lol: I also appreciate everything you have helped me with loading up and tying up that big chassis on my 4x4 Wednesday evening, the trip went well to King William's Town.

Well folks, I now own the only Luego Viento in the country (albeit in pieces :) ) and I cant wait to start building it, but I have some serious space issues to sort out first before I can start on the chassis :( hopefully that will happen soon. I plan to run a build diary but I don't think that it will be near as comprehensive and well documented as yours - Andre - everybody must be complimenting you on that!

Cheers for now
Gerrie

Postby Slaine on Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:01 pm

Good luck with your build Gerrie!
Slaine

Postby andredp on Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:27 am

Welcome Gerrie

Brad told me you took the Viento, Congratulations!!!! I am jealous :)

You better keep a build diary, I need something to read each morning :wink:

Oh, and tell us more about your plans.... V8 you say, might I suggest a Lexus with a auto box, I can direct you to help to convert that to \"sequential\" :) mmmm
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Postby Gerrie on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:23 pm

Hi Andre,

I am going to fit that Rover V8 into the Viento running through a Cressida W55 gearbox and Sierra 3.36 diff. I bought the bellhousing from Gilo Engineering when I was up there last week but they didn't have a flywheel for the V8 in stock coz mine is from an automatic car. Their flywheel is apparently slightly different from the standard Rover one to match the Cressida spigot shaft but I'll have to see if I can't get a standard one and how it will match. Their's is also a bit expensive. At this stage I like to try and stick to the budget I planned not to exceed if I can but I realise there is always the unforseeable.... :roll:
Luego Viento
Rover V8
Gerrie

Postby Gerrie on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:16 am

I have got my mag rims and tyres now - took a long time to find the right stuff to match the mnfc. suggested size for the Viento and I must say that I am now quite chuffed with my choice. The only problem is that I didn't want the extra low profile 205/40 x 17 like everybody is using for 2 reasons, firstly and we have some lekker potholes down here in King William's Town and secondly the V8 runs on pretty large wheels in the donor car plus pretty tall ratios for the diff and box. I am going to use 3.36 ratio diff and therefor decided that 45 profile tyres will do the job better than 40's. Now there seems to be no 205/45 x 17 tyres available for the fronts so I had to go for 215/45 x 17 and 235/45 x 17 for the rears. The front cycle wings now are to narrow, I measred 300 mm between the outer edges, are wider ones available that will just cover the 215? or will I have to get involved in fiberglass manufacturing :(
Luego Viento
Rover V8
Gerrie

Postby Gerrie on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:25 am

I also have another question. What is this \"carbon fibre effect\" panels that get talked about? how does one go abour creating something like that?
Luego Viento
Rover V8
Gerrie

Postby Slaine on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:54 am

Hi Gerrie,

This is what they refer to:

This is a bit exagerated in its pattern, but you'd get the idea.
Pierre Roux
------------------------
Luego Locost 13B Rotary Turbo
http://seven.dfx.co.za/ my car,
http://www.openwater.co.za/ my other hobby...
http://www.ozone.co.za/ - and something to pay for it all...
Slaine

Postby Gerrie on Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:56 am

Hi Slaine, it looks very nice, is it real carbon fibre mat or something they stick on? I also saw it on the dash panel of the Luego cars by LocostSA

Gerrie
Luego Viento
Rover V8
Gerrie

Postby Slaine on Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:01 pm

Hi Gerrie,

Not sure if thats the real deal, or stick-on. I assume looking at the price its the real thing (R 3700).

You need special vacuum equipment to shape the carbon fibre, its not matting like fibre glass. ...and that just about sums up what I know of working with it. :)

The stick-on stuff is just for the look of it, thus definately not saving you weight.
Pierre Roux
------------------------
Luego Locost 13B Rotary Turbo
http://seven.dfx.co.za/ my car,
http://www.openwater.co.za/ my other hobby...
http://www.ozone.co.za/ - and something to pay for it all...
Slaine

Viento in S.A.

Postby Gerrie on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:56 pm

I am finally back to report on this forum. What feels like an eternity this last year since I've got my chassis from LocostSA has seen me collecting a lot of components for my build but I had space issues to sort out and couldn't get started. I finally completed my workshop, a double garage and now the Viento is on the trestles! :D
I am very happy now - actually was beginning to wonder whether the enthusiasm wouldn't dwindle but kept it alive by reading this forum and other UK build sites regularly. For those of you guys who have joined this forum only recently the \"Viento\" is the larger brother in the Luego stable, typically suited to fit in a V8 engine. It is 12 inches longer, 6 inches wider and 4 inches taller than the locost chassis! quite a fat bastard but luckily I'm not that huge :)
I will run a condensed build diary documented on a monthly basis with some pics to show the progress, will just have to contact Brad to find how to get it on this website.
Luego Viento
Rover V8
Gerrie

Postby BradW on Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:46 pm

Great News Gerrie,

Glad the workshops finished, just pop your 'build diary' into Word format and mail it to us, we'll get it up on the web, just try and keep the picture sizes small.

When are you next up here, we enjoy you popping in for a chat ?, you really must try and make it coincide with a trax day though I'm sure a lot of the guys would like to meet you, and there's nothing like a passenger trip round the track to keep the enthusiasm high.

Brad
BradW
Site Admin

Postby Gerrie on Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 pm

Glad there's some new postings in the Luego section again. Thanx Brad I'll certainly do that. I've got some photos already and will make up a Word doc and mail it to you. I am gonna try for the 27th May saw there is a Super Trax day and also Gauteng Motor show at Wesbank Raceway, definitely worth comming up and I would love to be a passenger round the track!:D

Regards
Gerrie
Luego Viento
Rover V8
Gerrie

Postby Gerrie on Tue May 15, 2007 8:38 am

Hi there everyone,

It is amazing how quickly time passes by in our busy lifes. I have been busy this last few weeks mainly with prepping the engine and gearbox so that I could get on with fitting it and measuring up in the chassis. The engine was really dirty on the outside, seems like it never had a steamclean in its entire life, the two tappet cover gaskets appear to be the culprits. I will have to renew that as well as the sump gasket sometime before I finish the build.

I also opened the Cressida gearbox and was a bit weary of what I was going to see inside considering the fact that water mixed with oil came out of it when I drained the oil last year to store the gearbox. I knew it was due to the \"flooding\" we had on the bottom of the premises some years ago as this car was lying on its belly with no wheels on. I was pleasantly surprised to see on splitting the gearbox that there was almost no rust inside! :D It is amazing how well gear oil protects the surface against rust considering how much water came out of it. There was just the usual black sludge which I wiped out with newspaper to get it all look nice and shiny again.

I decided that I will just leave the gearbox split into the three sections, that is the front cover, main centre section with whole gear assemly and back cover so that it will be easy to handle when trying to fit and mark for the gearbox mounting. What I have found is the same as what Andre has mentioned in his build diary and that is the \"fat bit\" on the rear left hand side of the box bumps against a transmission tunnel tube if pushed to far back. I looked on the iside and there is a little bit that a person can trim away but it involves aluminium welding to cover the hole up again, will still decide about it.

As for the bellhousing I got, a person could comment on the quility - same as some of you guys have mentioned on this forum - but then again beggars can't be choosers :) My main issue with it is the weight, my golly this thing weighs a ton. It seems to have been casted really thick specially towards the back as there is quite a bit of overlap from the front of the gearbox casing when bolted on. I have marked this with a perma pen and definitely going to grind a fair amount away in the future before final assemly.

The other issue I have since trial fitting the engine is that the clutch fork is going to interfere with the vertical tube on the entrance to the transmission tunnel or I will have to move the engine about 3\" forward which I don't want to do for two reasons: the gearlever is going to sit underneath the dashboard and for sake of gravity. I have consequently done some research and found that there are things like internal slave cylinders available which mounts against the gearbox input cover plate. My friend who works at the local Ford/Mazda dealer showed me one from the Ford Montana V6 and I am 100% sure that it will work for me :) but the cost :shock:

I managed to finally get a flywheel for the Rover V8 from Independant 4x4 in Pretoria as I hunted everywhere in East Londen but to no avail. The only problem I discovered now that it is 1\" bigger than the car flywheel as it comes of the Landrover/Rangie engine, 10.5\" and the car flywheel is 9.5\" :( . It also weighs an elephant and it will definitly be cut to within safe limits and adapted for 9.5\" pressure plate.

I now have to start working for my daily bread, speak to yous soon again.
(I will have same photos up soon to show my progress :))
Luego Viento
Rover V8
Gerrie

Re:

Postby BradW on Tue May 15, 2007 9:49 am

Gerrie wrote:My friend who works at the local Ford/Mazda dealer showed me one from the Ford Montana V6 and I am 100% sure that it will work for me :) but the cost :shock:

The only problem I discovered now that it is 1" bigger than the car flywheel as it comes of the Landrover/Rangie engine, 10.5" and the car flywheel is 9.5" :( . It also weighs an elephant and it will definitly be cut to within safe limits and adapted for 9.5" pressure plate.

Hi Gerrie,

Great to hear from you again, are you still trying to make the 27th ?.

If you can make it remind me to show you the slave cylinder we use, in fact I will be working on an internal cylinder for a Cressida box pretty soon.

I also might have found you a Rover 'car' flywheel.

Brad
BradW
Site Admin

Postby Gerrie on Tue May 15, 2007 11:42 am

Hi there Brad,

I am definitely comming up to JHB for a \"car\" weekend :D will be there on the 25th and like to pop in sometime during the day on Friday if you folks are there, Sat 26th Gauteng Motorshow and Sunday Zwartkops, I am very exited about it all.

Regards
Gerrie
Luego Viento
Rover V8
Gerrie

Next

Return to Luego