My Build - Luego Velocity

Viento, Velocity & Locost

Moderator: BradW

My Build - Luego Velocity

Postby Warthog on Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:14 pm

Well guys, here I am the name is Graeme and welll I will be joining you :D .

Went to visit Brad at the shop last week and sort of forced myself, with no effort at all I must add, to take the plunge. This after dreaming for about 20 years, Yes I found my file of kits from back then, when a beach buggy kit cost about R3000-00 and a spyder Kit arround R8000-00, MMMMM the good old days.

The Velocity will be in the country in about 4-5 Weeks, cant wait.

I have started collecting a few goodies.
Got a Complete Sierra for R2500-00, not to bad I think, all it there except for engine and gearbox, on wheels as well.

I will be using a 2L Pinto engine with the standard 5 speed box.
The engine and box will be here in about 4 weeks as well R2500-00

AS for the rest, MMMM well
I have got my turbo and inter cooler already as well as a lot of Ideas.

I will be doing all the work myself From Frabrication to assembly to Painting, In the time that it takes for the kit to arrive I will be cleaning out my Garage, there is a major mess there, belive me LandRover parts laying everywhere, I will also be stipping a Sierra and getting those Parts ready and in between I need to finnish the built in cupboards for the wife. So till next time. Cheers.
Cheers
Graeme
Warthog

Postby andredp on Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:33 am

Welcome Graeme

Glad you took the plunge. Going to be nice having someone else posting here also. Been feeling a bit alone :wink:

Good luck with everything.
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Postby Warthog on Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:43 pm

Well then the fun has started.

Busy stripping down that old Sierra at the moment, nothing to write home about. will need to swap the diff out with someone though, seems that it was a 3L Sierra so the ratios will definately not be correct. All the other goods look ok though. Will put up a pic or 2 some tme this week.

Will also try and pop in at Brad as well.
But till next time

Chow
Cheers
Graeme
Warthog

Postby Warthog on Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:58 pm

Well I am still busy stripping the old beast. Everything looks ok at the Moment, except for the front disks, these will need to be replaced and the Rear Drums Skimmed, Other than this it seems like cash well spent.

I have also been doing some calculations and I think I will be able to get away with the 3L diff, if all goes well I should be pushing between 200 and 250 horses (150 and 187 kw) which should be more than enough to run with the 3L diff, bearing in mind that the 3L only pushed arround 140 hp (105kw )

So for now the diff stays and if need be I will change it later. If it runs very well, well then the fun starts as I will be looking for the 3.08:1 Diff from the Fuel injected XR6, MMM nice thought.

Till later
Cheers
Graeme
Warthog

Postby andredp on Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:34 am

Hi Graeme

Are you planning to get more then 150kw from the Pinto??

Why do you want to go for a 3.08 diff? The Lotus 7 type car is not really a topend car, more of a sprint car, so I cannot think why you would want a 3.08 diff. I am actually looking to change my 3.36 to a 3.89 or 4.11 even though I might in future look at getting around 250kw from the 4AGE, obviously then running a 4AGZE bottom end and a turbo, but this is distant plans/dreams. I think for a robot to robot or sprint/track type car the 3.89 diff is the better one to go for. All this is obviously also dependent on the gearbox ratios. Let us know what you think...

Enjoy the stripping and cleaning, it is the less enjoyable jobs :)
Andre'
andredp

Postby Warthog on Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:27 am

Hi I do Agree with you on the diff issue, However, Me I love to play with different Things and are always changing what I do. So yes I will play arround until I am happy. As for the engine, I will be installing a Turbo with intercooler, (so hopefully I will get between 200 and 250 HP )These are the the first 2 things that I acquired, so they need to go in. While all of this is going on I will see if I can find a 2L 16 valve Mazda motor some where at a reasonable price.

Then again who Knows what the end result will be,( Imagine a turbo charged VW VR6 motor ) Awsome. Want to keep the cost down in the beginning so as to get it on the road as soon as possible but later there will be some changes. AS for my unfair advantage, I have a brother that has Turbo Charged 6 x 2L Golfs, Excellant Job and they are all still running so i will be abusing him for his knowledge.

Till later
Chow
Cheers
Graeme
Warthog

Postby andredp on Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:10 am

AAAHHHHH I see. I vote for a VW 2L 16V Turbo motor :D I'm a big VW fan, but the thing is that the gearboxes to fit VW engines in a RWD configuration is a bit of a problem. Anyway, good luck and I'm looking forward to a spin in your car :wink:

Andre
Andre'
andredp

Postby Warthog on Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:24 am

Hi All Nothing Much is happening at the moment, All I have done up to doste is I have finnished stripping the Sierra and have got rid of what was left of the car, Now I have to get down to cleaning and painting all the parts.
The rear wheel cylinders are shot so these wil need to be rebuilt or possibly resleaved. Will cross that bridge when I get there.

As for the motor nothing has changed on tht front so it look like it will be the pinto, I had an option on a 16 valve 2l Mazda motor but lost out on that due to my own fault, I got there o late with the cash, Sold to someone else.

My kit should be here by the 13 May , cant wait.

Till next time
Cheers
Graeme
Warthog

Postby Warthog on Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:10 pm

Hey guys I am still alive and yes I recieved my kit ages ago, and no i havnt started yet all this because i want to get mast of the goodies needed for a good start. But till then I will keep an eye out on what you all are doing.
Cheers
Graeme
Warthog

Re: My Build - Luego Velocity

Postby Saul on Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:20 pm

Hi warthog ....

I am building a lotus 7 but the book chassis and noticed you are building the luego velocity...
Is there any chance that you can give me the dimensions of you bonnet cowl purely because i need to raise the scoop on my bonnet and the velocity bonnet might be a better and easier option...

I realise this build was in 2005 so this could be taking a chance but if you could help I would appreciate it...

thanks
Saul
Saul

Return to Luego