Cat Converters 2008

Registration, roadworthy documentation etc

Moderator: BradW

Cat Converters 2008

Postby Ivan on Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:06 pm

Anybody have any idea how the new regs requiring catalytic converters on new cars registered after 2008 will affect locost builders?
Ivan

Cat Converters

Postby Gregt on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:15 pm

Yes, good question. I dug out the April 2007 issue of Car magazine and their article on Cats starts off quoting: \"It is generally expected that by the beginning of 2008 all NEW cars will have to be fitted with catalytic converters.\"
I believe there are quite a few completed cars running around that have not yet been registered ( Andre'! ) so perhaps this is a good excuse for these owners to pull their fingers out and get it done before the end of this year.
Whether or not home builders will be exempt I don't know but the powers that be don't seem to be going out of their way to do us any favours so I would not bet on it.
Brad I seem to remember you doing quite a lot of research on the requirements to register a home build some time back. Do you still have any contacts that can answer this question?
Gregt

Postby BradW on Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:37 am

I've seen a lot of guys getting in a panic when they see new regulations being quoted, there are basically two separate sets of regulations, the Road Traffic Act which relates to what you are legally allowed to run on SA roads, and a whole set of SABS regulations which cover the homologation of new vehicles, all vehicles must be homologated before they can be offered for sale to be used on our roads.

The issue of catalytic converters is not new, in fact with the current emission standards in place it is extremely unlikely a new vehicle would meet those without having a cat fitted. In 2008 it is expected that SA will move up to the newer EEC regulations which will make it impossible to achieve homologation without a catalytic converter, along with lots of other requirements.

Until the Road Traffic Act is amended to state that all vehicles must have a catalytic converter fitted it is unlikely it will have any effect on 'our' cars, or the registration of them.

To be perfectly honest if all the regulations relating to the Road Traffic Act and the homologation of vehicles were applied fully there wouldn't be a single Lotus Seven type of vehicle legally on our roads. To quantify that however 90% of all vehicles on our roads would probably also be illegal.

The issue of home built and kit cars is still a very grey area within SA, and the success or failure of getting our cars registered is still very much reliant on the interpretation or knowledge of the many regulations by the actual guy who has to process the various stages of registration, until (if ever) we adopt a system similar to the UK SVA system it is unlikely the 'greyness' will be clarified.
BradW
Site Admin

Postby Ivan on Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:18 pm

Thanks for that reply Brad - to some extent you've put my mind at rest.

This whole SABS thing - although well intentioned is rediculous seen in the context of our third world environment where a person cannot put on a set of well designed \"mag\" wheels or make in fact any changes no matter how minor to your car without breaking the law and also in some places raising the ire of the authorities in case you're a street racer, but you can get away with driving a blatantly unroadworthy public transport vehicle.

Another horror story - I phoned the local (Cape Town) branch of the SABS regarding registering my Locost and was told \"No Problem\" but you will first have to send it up to Pretoria for a brake test to see that the brake balance is right when hot.

I find this unreasonable and maybe unconstitutional as it is not fair or equitable to make me carry a transport cost of thousands of rands that would not apply to someone living in or around Gauteng - if they want to apply these sorts of regulations then make test centers available in all the major towns.
Ivan

Postby BradW on Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:51 am

Hi Ivan,

Thats exactly the kind of thing which is crazy, don't worroy about having to come here to do a brake test, legally we all should have to go to PE to do emmissions tests, firstly because its at sea level and secondly because it's the only establishment in South Africa that can do it ! :-)

Brad
BradW
Site Admin

Return to Legal