Conflicting Stories

Registration, roadworthy documentation etc

Moderator: BradW

Conflicting Stories

Postby willemv on Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:06 pm

My mates tell me it is impossible to register a newly build car as the y no longer allow it. This forum seems to still be doing it.

The traffic department are not very helpful.

Maybe the dream of a locost is still alive.
willemv

hi

Postby woolfie on Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:33 pm

well im in the process i have all clearances and certificates and have sent my stuff to pretoria just being patient
woolfie

Re: hi

Postby BradW on Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:02 pm

woolfie wrote:well im in the process i have all clearances and certificates and have sent my stuff to pretoria just being patient

Don't forget Woolfie you've got a VIN number, I think willemv is referring to home built chassis were you don't have a VIN number.

Brad
PS I hope you've remembered the Trax Day tomorrow !
BradW
Site Admin

Re: Conflicting Stories

Postby Dave road runner on Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:53 pm

So can you still get a home built chassis passed or not?
SABS say they will no longer give a 'letter of authority' for kit cars to be registered?
Does some one want to give a guideline to follow because there must be a couple of people out there with the same problem...
Dave road runner

Postby HFPE on Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:51 pm

We registered our "homebuilt" lotus in April this year - no problems - you just need to follow the system!
need to have all the reciepts in your name for all major components.

If you are not manufacturing to sell then you do not need sabs clearance.

if you send me a pm with your email address I can send you a walk through list of the process we went through.
HFPE

Postby Van on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:44 am

Same here, I registered a completely home built vehicle for a mate last year (I Mpumalanga though) Took an odd 5 months but could have gone quicker. Something that will help is to get an engineer or someone to give his official stamp of approval on your welding, penetration etc. :idea:
Ettienne

Building: Haynes Roadster -- 20V Silvertop -- T50
Van

Postby Land Locked on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:37 am

HFPE wrote:We registered our "homebuilt" lotus in April this year - no problems - you just need to follow the system!
need to have all the reciepts in your name for all major components.

If you are not manufacturing to sell then you do not need sabs clearance.

if you send me a pm with your email address I can send you a walk through list of the process we went through.

Thanks for the information. That document must surely one of the clearest most understandable renderings of an official process i have ever seen.
Land Locked

Postby HFPE on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:54 am

thanx Land Locked,
if it can help get more Locosts on the road - then it is worth it.

for those of you going through the process - take some time to record your own process and make it available for "others" it can only help in demistifying the "system"
HFPE

Postby Dave road runner on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:55 pm

Thanks for the input all, will let you know as I progress.
Dave road runner

Postby craigsez on Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi,

I will very shortly be starting the process (two weeks or so) with my Locost too in PTA, so very interested to see what the process is like.

The enatis website has all the relevant information on the process as well as neccessary documents for download in PDF format. I have no idea how accurate all this information is so please dont shoot the messenger if it aint :wink:

This link has the relevant information on what the process is according to officialdom:

http://www.enatis.com/component/option, ... rom_parts/

The link where the documents can be downloaded (nine pages to wade through, but they are all there somewhere)

http://www.enatis.com/Application-forms ... egory.html

You will need the following documents:
Application for temporary permit (TSP1)
Application form (RLV)
Affidavid form (SOA)
Mass measurement certificate form (MMC)
Police service clearance certificate (from local cop-shop)

From what I have heard it is essential that you have all receipts for purchase of major components as well as a sworn affidavid that the donor parts where obtained legally from a deregistered vehicle. As far as a VIN number goes for homebuilt cars- No idea?? I have one issued by Locost SA for my chassis (one of the major reasons to buy an SABS approved Chassis from a supplier IMHO)

Some questions I still have if anyone can help??

How do I get around the regulation for windscreen wipers? dont have any fitted and do not intend to (they are about as useful as a bicycle to a fish when it rains and you are driving a locost :D ) Two options as I see it, take off windscreen entirely for test, fit "clip on" wipers of some type (do you even get something like that? :wink: )

Secondly, do I need a reverse light and a light for number plate? dont have either...

Thanks!

Craig
craigsez

Postby HFPE on Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:41 pm

Not sure about the windscreen wiper thing - we had aero screens - I know Kangos first build passed with no windscreen.

Dont need a reverse light.

Do need a numberplate light.
HFPE

Postby craigsez on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:51 pm

Thanks;)

Off with the windscreen then...
craigsez

Postby ross on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:13 am

Hi Craig,
How's it going with your registration? I went to the Centurion Licensing dept yesterday to start the process, I really wanted to get a temporary permit so I could legally drive the car to the outing at Rietvlei on Monday. I was told that I had to go to the offices in Pretoria for a temporary permit, so I asked the guy if he could at least let me have the forms. He gave, well sort of threw some forms at me and walked out of the enquiries cubicle, Happy Days. :x When I got home and checked the forms I found out that they were not at all what I needed, but for something completely different. Does anybody know if, in fact, if I have to got o Pretoria to get a temporary permit, also how many copies of the various receipts need to be attached to the affidavit form?
Cheers,
Ross
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Postby craigsez on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi Ross,

To be honest my registration process has completely stalled at the moment, partially from lack of time and partially from pure frustration.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I was told when I made the same query re the temp permit that i could get it at Watloo testing station out in 'No-mans-land', drove ALL the way out there only to be told that it was i fact only available to me as a private individual (as opposed to a vehicle dealership, who they will gladly help) from the Sanlam building in town.

Also, the police 'official' at the centurion police clearance depot was openly obstructive and I would suspect looking for a bribe. The staff at the actual licensing/roadworthy department were, in a word, pathetic.

So, I have resolved to get the permit as instructed and do the registration at Watloo since they have a big roadworthy/licensing facility and the process seems to be ALOT more efficient there. (ALOT being a relative term)

Your other alternative is to do what some other guys did and use an agent to do it for you, at a fee of course :wink: I have absolutely no proof but my personal feeling is that these agents might well be 'facilitating' the process, thereby feeding the 'honesty' problem that seems to be rife at the test centers. I would rather have no part in that. Flip side is that once you start the process as an individual you can no longer make use of the agent so it might be a vey extended process.

I have sent you the neccessary form (TSP1) for a temporary permit to your e-mail address already, you'll need actual cash and a certified copy of your ID document too.

Possibly we could work together to get our cars registered? save some time and hassle, will chat to you at the breakfast run about it, looking forward to seeing your car!

Craig
craigsez

Postby ross on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:58 pm

Hi Craig,
Thanks for the info, this morning I spoke to two people, agents as you call them, the one being Jackie and the other one a guy called Shaun, that she referred me to. The situation is it's not that they "facilitate the result" other than they know the system better than the people at the licensing department, so they can't jerk them around like they do private individuals. So am I right in that I have to go to the licensing office in town to get a special permit, after I complete the SOA form and have it stamped at the police station? Are you taking your car to Rietvlei?
Cheers,
Ross
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Next

Return to Legal