Roadworthy

Registration, roadworthy documentation etc

Moderator: BradW

Roadworthy

Postby Joose on Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:52 pm

Hi,
I have just bought a LHD Birkin which is registered and road legal, but now I need to get it through the roadworthy. The car is factory built and In very good condition. It has never had side mirrors (it has hinges for the \"doors\" instead, and It has no front number plate holder. Will any of this be a problem when trying to get the car through the roadworthy, and is there a special place I can take it to who will be more \"sympathetic\" to this kind of car? I read a mention of Mercurius in Jet Park. Do they still do roadworthy's for kit cars?On a side note, what side mirrors do other people use for the 7? Are there some mirrors I can get that clip on and can be easily removed? I'd like to have the mirrors on when its sunny, but then put the weathergear on when its raining... Thanks.
Joose

Postby muller on Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:30 am

I've always use a place in Centurion (Test Best) for my road worthies without any issues. I wont call them \"Sympathetic\" because the cars were always in good condition, but they certainly did not put the 7's through the same detailed testing as a normal car.

There seems to be no clear rules on front number plates, but I dont have any and have never had any issues at all.

For the side mirrors I suggest you look at what the other birkins use to keep the car as standard as possible - you can use aftermarket mirrors but they just look odd IMHO.
muller

Postby BradW on Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:20 am

Hi,

The front number plate shouldn't cause any problems at roadworthy, but it is a legal requirement so you may pick up a fine from an awkward cop, having said that very few guys running sevens bother with a front plate.

In my experience as long as your not driving crazy the cops are normally more interested in looking at the car than checking your number plates.

Brad
BradW
Site Admin

Number Plates

Postby Gregt on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:32 pm

I have been pulled over in a routine road block on my way to a breakfast run and fined for not having a front number plate, so now I have one.
It is smaller than standard though and hinged so still not actually legal.
Greg
Gregt

Postby Joose on Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:09 pm

Okay well for those of you interested, I took the car through the roadworthy last week and It failed on oil leaks and handbrake. We fixed both problems and I took it through gain this morning and It passed no problem. The lack of side mirrors was not even mentioned, and I had attached a front number plate earlier so that solved that problem. Just so that you know, I took it to the government Randburg testing station, not a private place (I think a private place would have passed me first time.) So as long as your car is in good working conditon, there is no need to worry about side mirrors at all it seems! :lol:
Building: 4AGE 20v Locost SA
Road Car: a big, red, shouty thing with an MG badge on it..
Joose

Postby Kango on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:35 pm

Do you have a centre mirror? (on windscreen)

My car has no windscreen and I do not want to fit a makeshift mirror on my dash
Kango

Return to Legal