Legal issues

Registration, roadworthy documentation etc

Moderator: BradW

Legal issues

Postby cassidy on Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:22 am

Went to the SAPD's Vehicle Impound Facility in Stikland today.

From what I can piece together:
a. Department of Transport requires a sworn affidavit that you're in the process of building your own vehicle.
b. It seems they're not especially interested in the chassis except when you bring in the complete car for registration. Would actually like them to inspect my chassis immediately after laying down final weld bead. Also contrary to what you said in the other forum Brad, which bothers me. I'll keep nagging them about this bit.
c. They're recommend that as soon as I buy the engine, I should bring it to them as is and they will verify that the engine is not stolen. NB. do not rebuild, repair or buy any other parts till they've cleared the engine. I've got a sneaking suspicion that the engine I'm about to buy is not on their registers coz of it's age - will cross that bridge when I come to it.
d. Apart from that, they feel for every part that I buy; I should keep receipts, make sworn affadavits, get as much info as possible from the sellers, etc.

I am happy with this process.
cassidy

Postby BradW on Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:07 pm

Yep, we all seem to be getting contradictory stories from different people, we were told with the engine that the Police clearance would not be processed until it was in a car.
I'm still looking into the actual 'written laws' etc. but it does seem to vary considerably not only on which department, but which individual you speak to.
BradW
Site Admin

Registration

Postby Piet on Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:28 am

I think we should find out what the Cobra builders do or the VW beach buggies or even the Links. They are all home built cars.! I'll take some time out and pay these guys a visit. VolkSpares are just down the road from where I stay in Jetpark. They build from scratch the VW buggy, jeep Cobra and a few other own designs. When I have some news i'll post them.
Regards
Piet

Postby BradW on Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:34 pm

News from a reliable source (SABS), the 'officials' appear to have woken up to home build and kit cars, they are seriously looking at the whole registration and approval system, and we are in for major changes, the first thing, which I am informed is in place immedietly, is that all chassis, if not homologated, will require an SABS inspection before they can be submitted for registration, this involves a quite detailed chack including design, welding, lights and other legal issues, and will cost you R1,000 if you go to them, or R 2,500 if they come to you.
There are many other changes planned, this is a double edged sword, at least we should know exactly what is expected, on the other hand the 'rules' will be a lot stricter.

New Info - October, another source, again from the SABS has no knowledge at all about the inspection story, funnily enough the original source is not with the SABS anymore !!!.
Last edited by BradW on Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BradW
Site Admin

Postby Nick on Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:48 am

I feel I should add my two cents' worth here: if you ever buy an engine that you know comes from a stolen/recovered vehicle, make sure you know EXACTLY where the vehicle clearance depot has stamped the new engine number. I took in a Ford Bantam for clearance at Stikland a few months back, only to have it impounded right then and there because the monkeys doing the inspection couldn't find the engine number that THEY had so painstakingly applied a couple of weeks earlier. They eventually found it - stamped in a radial pattern around a bolt hole. Candidates for MENSA, the lot of them...
Nick Van den Berg
nikatreus@gmail.com
Nick

Return to Legal