Legal at last!!

Registration, roadworthy documentation etc

Moderator: BradW

Legal at last!!

Postby craigsez on Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:23 am

So, after after 5 months and 3 weeks of patiently waiting for the wheels of government to turn...

My car is finally registered and licensed!! :lol: :lol:

No more worries about having to dodge Mr Plod on the roads :wink:

Craig
craigsez

Re: Legal at last!!

Postby ross on Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:05 pm

Congratulations Craig, feels good eh? :D
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Postby BradW on Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:01 pm

Congrats Craig,

now you just have to have the excuses ready for no front number plate :-)

Brad
BradW
Site Admin

Postby andredp on Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:02 pm

Congrats dude :D
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Postby craigsez on Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:00 pm

Thanks guys :wink:

BradW wrote:Congrats Craig,

now you just have to have the excuses ready for no front number plate :-)

Brad

How about "its a four wheeled motorbike and bikes dont need plates in the front" ???

was thinking along the lines of an illegally small perspex plate like the superbike guys sometimes use on the back of their bikes, should buy a few points with the coppers...interesting thing is that the ONLY time this car has been pulled over in two years was while the Roadworthy guy was taking it for a spin around the block during the road test..and all they wanted to know was what engine it had :wink:

@Ross, I know you are a law abiding guy, waht did you do for front plates?
craigsez

Postby ross on Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:47 am

Hi Craig,
I fitted it to the top front of the roll bar, it's behind my head but it's perfectly legal. The rules say it must be to the front, not at the front and must not be mounted higher than 1.5 metres from the road.
Cheers,
Ross
ross

Postby craigsez on Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:28 pm

ross wrote:Hi Craig,
I fitted it to the top front of the roll bar, it's behind my head but it's perfectly legal. The rules say it must be to the front, not at the front and must not be mounted higher than 1.5 metres from the road.
Cheers,
Ross

Ingenius!! :wink: I have to wonder though what the average copper would make of that, ha!ha! I reckon you know the rules better than most of them Ross :lol:

I'll go the tiny number plate route and we can see how we fair on the next breakfast run :wink:

Just checked the regs I see they do make a distiction between bikes and cars so that bikes dont have to have front plates but cars do, they refer to 'motorquadrucycles' as also being exempt, think we could pull that one over? :wink: "yes officer, its just a big Quad bike" a "CEB" (car engined bike) "latest kit vehicle trend"...
craigsez

Postby ross on Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:01 am

The thing is quad bikes, as far as I know, don't have to be registered, I've never seen one with any kind of number plate that I can recall. So ,if I'm right, "pullin the wool" about that won't work, hmm it might just confuse the plod so much that he'd let you off anyway. :D Look forward to seeing you at the next breakfast run.
ross

Postby craigsez on Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:37 pm

ross wrote:The thing is quad bikes, as far as I know, don't have to be registered, I've never seen one with any kind of number plate that I can recall. So ,if I'm right, "pullin the wool" about that won't work, hmm it might just confuse the plod so much that he'd let you off anyway. :D Look forward to seeing you at the next breakfast run.

Exactly!... So i'd like to know what exactly a 'quadracycle' is then...cant think of a better description for a lotus 7 than a four wheeled motobike 8)

yup, After 2nd of December I am a free agent again, no more of those pesky commitments to keep my bum out of the loti's seat, presume there arent any more runs this year though right? Will be at the Trax Day on Sunday though! 8)
craigsez

Postby pandora on Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:57 pm

I WANT TO KNOW WHERE TO GO IN JHB TO GET MY CAR REGISTERED.I SPENT 9 MTHS BUILDING AND READY FOR THE PAPERWORK . MY ADDRESS IS 47 GREENWAY IN GREENSIDE. PLEASE HELP.
pandora

Postby jsnmrkDOTcom on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:47 pm

HI Guys, I am also wanting to ask... if I build the Haynes roadster from scratch, how does this differ in the process of getting my car registered? (i.e I dont get a VIN from Locost SA - So now what?) PLEASE help!!!! :shock:
jsnmrkDOTcom

Postby ross on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:40 am

If you live in Jo'burg then go to Langlaagte and talk to the guys there. You can get police clearance, weighing and roadworthy all at the same place. If you don't have a VIN then this can be issued by the police vehicle clearance guys, I don't know the exact procedure. Alternatively, go to the main police vehicle clearance unit at Aeroton, I went there initially with my car and the people were very helpful. However, I live in Centurion and couldn't complete the process there.
ross

Return to Legal