Registered at Last :-)

Registration, roadworthy documentation etc

Moderator: BradW

Registered at Last :-)

Postby BryanBrink on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi Everyone,

Well after taking delivery of a Locost Chassis in March '07 we finally have our car registered as of yesterday (after a very enjoyable 3 years :D )

Since my dad did all of the legwork, standing in queues and patient arguing - I will write up a step-by-step list with him on the process we followed. Should be up by the end of the week.

Cheers Bryan
BryanBrink

Re: Registered at Last :-)

Postby andredp on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:33 pm

Congrats Bryan!!! When will the first race be? ;)
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Postby craigsez on Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:17 am

Congrats Bryan! :wink:

I would be very interested to read that step by step list when you post it, thanks!

I had my first experience of trying to start the process last week and it didnt go well at all, even after I had patiently collected all neccessary paperwork and resigned myself to the fact that it wasnt going to be easy, my friends at the licensing department surpassed even my rather sceptical expectations :evil:

Thanks for going to the effort.

Craig
craigsez

Postby BryanBrink on Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:22 pm

1. Go to Dischem and buy a bulk-pack of headache pills – this will come in handy along the way :D

2. Apply for a temporary permit - if you are not going to trailer your car.
a. Randburg Registering Authority - Go to enquiry counter and request application for temporary permit – this is required so that you can drive your car to the police clearance office. For a built up car a temporary permit is only issued for 3 days.
b. At this counter also request the documents required for police clearance:
i. Request for police clearance/identification (RPI)
ii. Affidavit IRO built-up motor vehicle (SOA)
c. You will need copies of a full set of receipts for your vehicle build (chassis, engine, drive-train, body work, lights etc.), and a confirmation letter of your VIN number from the supplier (we got ours from Locost SA). You will also need your green ID book plus 2 copies – they will certify the copies. When you make these copies remember that you will need 3 sets of invoices in total and LOTS of copies of the owner's green ID book.
d. Take the completed application form and receipts to the counter for private applications (check correct counter at enquiries). They will check your documents and compile them and send you to the payment counter. Approx R90 cash.

3. Go to a police with the completed SOA and get it stamped and signed.

4. Apply for police clearance & weigh bridge
a. Now that you can legally drive the car, you need to obtain police and a weigh bridge certificate.
b. You will need to stamp the VIN number on the Chassis as well as on a plate that is fixed to the chassis on a easily visible position.
c. We went to Chamdor first and they were disorganised and requested additional forms. We then went to Langlaagte – they open at 7am (they close by 11am), you stand in the queue and give in your forms (RPI, SOA, Green ID and 2x copies) and they give you an additional numbered form to complete and sign – information required is just personal details.
d. You wait your turn until your number is called – they usually only start calling numbers after 10am.
e. The process itself takes a couple of minutes as they only check engine number and VIN number.
f. They send you on from the VIN inspection, over the inspection pit. Our car was too low to get over the pit, so we had to ask all the cars behind us to reverse in order to get out.
g. They will sign your numbered form and send you to the weigh-bridge (also at Langlaagte)
h. The weigh-bridge receipt will cost you R60 cash. Our car weighed in at 580kg.

5. Submit documents to RA - We submitted our documents to the Randburg RA
a. You need to submit your forms:
i. Obtain a request for registration of vehicle doc (RLV - blue 2x A4) and request to introduce motor vehicle (RIM) from the enquiry counter and complete.
ii. You will need another full set of receipts as supporting documentation
iii. You will need your ID book and 2x copies
iv. Signed RPI form from the police clearance
v. Weighbridge certificate
vi. Signed and stamped SOA
b. You will get a receipt (TRC) with a task reference number that you will quote when enquiring on the progress of your application.
c. We dealt with Sibu at new car registrations (011 919-5712), we called once a week after the first 3 weeks to check on progress.
d. Our application seemed to get stuck in ‘final-phase’ for 8 weeks, this was over the Christmas period which might have contributed to the delay.
e. We sent a Fax to the Gauteng Provincial Representative (found on http://www.enatis.co.za), Sarel van Deventer (Fax: 011 492-0309), and we had confirmation that the application was completed and was on Natis within one day after that. I included my number and email on the fax and they emailed the confirmation.

6. Go to RA – Randburg
a. Saw Sibu and he gave a print-out confirming that car is registered but final police clearance is required.

7. Go to police clearance station – Langlaagte
a. You need to complete the final police clearance within 30 days of the car being put onto the system.
b. Sibu told us that we need to take the car to obtain the final police clearance but this was not the case, they did not even look at the car they just required the documents, confirm what is needed at the RA (Form from RA, ID book and 2x copies, SOA form 2x copies)
c. Be at Langlaagte before 11am ,stand in queue, they give you a number and you hand in your forms.
d. When they call your number they will give you a clearance certificate.

8. Submit documents tp RA – Randburg
a. We went straight to Sibu again with all the forms (copies of all the receipts, clearance certificate, ID book and 2x copies)
b. Sibu gave us the certificate of registration (RC1 – R82 cash) and the motor vehicle license (MVLX – R204 cash) – as the car was not yet roadworthied the MVLX was issued without a license disc - You can get number plates with these papers.
c. We also got a new print-out showing that the car had been cleared but was not roadworthied.

9. Roadworthy – Randburg Testing Station
a. You can take to private testing stations, we were quoted R280, Randburg Testing Station costs R190 (R140 for test and R50 for certificate).
b. You need ID plus 2x copies, print-out, RC1 and MVLX
c. Ours was the first Locost tested there according to them, we got through the test without a hiccup, they checked the handbrake on the rollers, checked for oil leaks on the inspection pit, check wheel alignment front and back. We didn’t have a front number plate on – which they advised was required, but they passed the car anyway.

10. Collect license disk from RA – Randburg
a. Collect request for license disc (they call it the blue form) from the enquiry counter.
b. Complete and go to private (as opposed to dealers) counter with ID book and 2x copies. They will attach a form and stamp and send you to cashier to collect your license disc.

Notes:
• We found the Randburg Registering Authority to be the most organised, we tried Roodepoort too, but they gave us the incorrect advice. We didn’t use the Langlaagte RA so can’t comment on their quality of service.
• The person in whose name the car is being registered doesn’t need to do the whole process themselves, as long as the person doing all the queuing has the owner’s ID and copies – but the owner will need to sign the form you get at the police clearance and the request for registration (green) and request for license disc (the blue form) – so it’s best if the owner does these steps.
• The entire process took us 4 months, even with the 2 month delay in getting the car onto Natis.
• It seems like the Cape Town process is very similar – see the Afrikaans Wiel article at: http://www.wiel.co.za/new_site/content/projekte/singlepage.asp?id=333
BryanBrink

Postby andredp on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:06 pm

Awesome, thanx Bryan :) You missed out on a slightly wet but fun run today BTW ;)
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Postby craigsez on Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:46 pm

Thanks Bryan! appreciate the effort you went to, Going to get started on getting mine done in the next week so will give some feedback about Centurion testing centre in Pretoria for those that are interested :wink: One little pearl I have discovered so far is that the required temporary permit cannot be bought from the centurion centre but has to be paid for and picked up in person at Watloo, which is RIIIGHT on the other side of town 45km away.....the mind boggles...
craigsez

Postby ross on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:46 pm

Hi Craig,
I'll be following your progress with great interest as I am hoping to start the same process in the near future, what are the people like to deal with at Centurion, I've just done my driving license renewal ther and those guys were pleasant enough. Best of Luck.
Ross
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Postby Martin Bezuidenhout on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:20 pm

After I had driven my Locost illegally for five years,it is now registered and roadworthy.
The whole process took 21 working days.
Martin Bezuidenhout

Re: Registration of 2 home build Cars

Postby JB Lotus 7 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:49 pm

Good Day All

I,m Planing on building 2 Lotus 7 replicas, one for Me and one for my Son. My only concern is how to get the 2 frames (well Cars) Registered.
To get Chassy nr for home build chassis. I hope there is some one with some advice on this matter.

Regards

JB
JB Lotus 7

Return to Legal