Safety Harness

Seats, trim etc

Moderator: BradW

Safety Harness

Postby Phil Bradley on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:30 pm

Hi All

Santa Claus is busy putting together his Christmas list and I am in the market for a safety harness around about now.

I have spoken to ATS and they don't do Sabelt any more but have their own ATS harness for R 1,295 (Excl.) for the 3" 6-point and R1,195 (Excl.) for the 3" 4-point.
1st Race have Sabelt. The 6-point range from R2,100 to R2,365 (Excl.) and the 4-point range from R1,950 to R2,365 (Incl.)

Is anyone using the ATS belts and are they FIA certified?
What other harnesses are on the market and what do the more experienced of you recommend?

Thanks,
Phil
Phil Bradley

Re: Safety Harness

Postby muller on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:10 pm

Nothing wrong with ATS belts, only reason I use sabelt is because I need single seater belts to fit into the Birkins. We are using ATS belts on the Locost.
Anton

Race car 1: Birkin IRS 4AGE 20v (TLR class B - B10)
Race car 2: Birkin IRS 4AGE 20v (TLR Class B for SO - B20)
Road car: erm.. who cares
muller

Postby Van on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:23 pm

How does one know when to trust and when not? There are cheaper belts out there... :?
Ettienne

Building: Haynes Roadster -- 20V Silvertop -- T50
Van

Postby muller on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:40 am

Simple, you ask around before you buy.

When it comes to safety gear you DON'T cut corners. It does not mean you have to buy the most expensive stuff, just stick to well known brands.

ATS is major supplier of racing equipment in SA so you know the belts will be up to standard. Same with the first race suits, a third of the cost of an imported suit but just as safe.
Anton

muller

Postby Phil Bradley on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:20 am

Thanks Anton

I found out that the ATS harnesses are FIA approved and well worth the money. At that price I will put 6-point on both sides.

Regards,
Phil
Phil Bradley

Postby Van on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:11 pm

muller wrote:I need single seater belts to fit into the Birkins.

Is there a difference between single seater belts and.. ummm, other belts? What should I be looking out for? Round about time now that we get our belts sorted as well, looking at 5 point ATS belts as they seem cheaper for still good quality.
Ettienne

Van

Postby BradW on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:46 pm

Hi,

Yep there are "single seater" and "Saloon" belts, the difference is the length of the shoulder straps, Saloon car ones are very long to allow the harness to be run back to a roll cage and 'wrapped' around, the single seater are much shorter and are the ones for us as our seatbelt mounting points are right behind the seat.

You can use saloon ones and cut of (or tuck away) the extra length, if you do cut take care and seal the cut ends with a soldering iron or something hot, if it starts fraying a keen scrutineer might 'fail' your belts, and if he does he has the right to cut them up.

Brad
BradW
Site Admin

Postby Murray on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:13 pm

HI Guys

Just an update on the price of the ATS 4 point harness they are (15 January 2009) R1195 excl vat. Just bought my second harness for passenger today. The sale person said they had to change to the manufactures name because they are the ones that hold the FIA certification.

Cheers.
Murray Calderwood
Murray

Postby Van on Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:01 pm

Thanks Brad, Guess its more practical to go for single seater harnesses then. However I dont see 5-point's on ATS's website, would they have such a thing? I'm really NOT keen on a 6-point :shock:
Ettienne

Van

Postby muller on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:22 am

Van wrote:Thanks Brad, Guess its more practical to go for single seater harnesses then. However I dont see 5-point's on ATS's website, would they have such a thing? I'm really NOT keen on a 6-point :shock:

The real difference between single and saloon belts is the mounting system. Saloon belts use an eye bolt and a hook whereas single seater belts bolt straight to the chassis. I don't have space between the seat and chassis for they eye bolts.

Not sure what your hangup is on 5point vs 6 point? 5 point has 1 crotch strap and a 6 point has 2?
Anton

muller

Postby andredp on Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:55 am

I am using a Sabelt 6 point, but with both crotch straps clipped to the same place, in effect making it a 5 point.
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Postby muller on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:23 am

andredp wrote:I am using a Sabelt 6 point, but with both crotch straps clipped to the same place, in effect making it a 5 point.

Ed Zakery! No real difference between the belts.

FYI on 5 or 6 point belts you car leave the crotch belt loose for everyday driving
Anton

muller

Postby Phil Bradley on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:29 pm

Hi

Father Christmas did get me a 6-point harness from ATS :-) and I wthink that it's the saloon type as the staps are rather long.
It looks and feels like great quality and I'll recommend anyone to go for it rather than the added expense of the more famous brands.
Birthday in March so I'll ask the birthday fairies for the other one :-)

Cheers,
Phil
Phil Bradley

Postby BradW on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:41 pm

Phil Bradley wrote:Hi

Father Christmas did get me a 6-point harness from ATS :-) and I wthink that it's the saloon type as the staps are rather long.
It looks and feels like great quality and I'll recommend anyone to go for it rather than the added expense of the more famous brands.
Birthday in March so I'll ask the birthday fairies for the other one :-)

Cheers,
Phil

Just a 4 point is enough for passengers, and general cheaper. the 5(6) point is actually useless in our cars, it is purely to prevent 'submarining', that is where you slide under the lap belt, this is virtually impossible in our cars due to the seating position, your legs prevent submarining.

Brad
BradW
Site Admin

Postby Van on Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:29 pm

Yup spoke to Andre from ATS and I can get their ATS branded 6-point saloon for R1476.30 each. Will probably go pick up a set tomorrow.

He also mentioned that you can "convert" the 6-point to a 5point which I presume is what Andre did in effect.

BTW: Opinions on shoulder pads? I know on the narrower belts its a msut for road use cause it hurts like hell in my neighbours SCC7 but what about the 75mm belts? Still good to have pads on them too?
Ettienne

Van

Next

Return to Interior