VDO fuel sender

Wiring, instruments, switchgear etc

Moderator: BradW

VDO fuel sender

Postby DieterD on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi, any idea where i can buy a VDO marked fuel sender, or where I can buy any make period.
I am not to keen on going the dowel route, (as suggested in previous posts) as its a road 7 and not to cool rocking up at the petrol station and sticking a piece of dowel into the tank.
DieterD
DieterD

Re: VDO fuel sender

Postby andersonhdj on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:59 pm

Ross recommended i try these guys for smiths inst, they have an online catalogue and do senders and all sorts, perhaps they can match summat for you. Their prices for gauges was very reasonable as well i thought.
You can get new smiths gauges from Powertorque, they have a couple of ranges including classic.
Hamish.
andersonhdj

Postby DieterD on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:37 am

Thanks, I will contact them and see what i can do.
DieterD
DieterD

Postby alpipes on Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:50 am

Hi all.
There is a place in pretoria on Church street, they called diesel electric, 320 Church St, Pretoria West. Tel: 012 327 4810, try give them a call.
Regards Alex
alpipes

Postby Wynand on Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:43 am

I also have VDO gauges on board and the fuel sender was not present when I bought the set. VDO ask ridiculous prices for their bits and pieces - R145 + vat for a small plastic globe holder for gauges :shock: hence I made a plan. The price for a fuel sender you do not want to know...

What I did was to use a fuel sender from an old wrecked Seadoo fuel tank which works perfectly with the VDO. Empty is empty, half is half and full is full, oiw, basically same resistance output as VDO unit 8) Actually got it for free 8)
Wynand
Webpage: http://5psi.net
Car: McSorley 442E chassis
2.0l Ford Pinto with ZX9 bike carbs
Lightened flywheel, camjob, 4-2-1 exh
5 Speed Ford type 9 g/box
IRS - 3.7:1 diff ratio
Wynand

Postby DieterD on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:40 am

I see I didnt complete the story, I have found a little parts store in the centre of Cape Town that seems to have a massive hidden back room that has everything. I was buying some globes or something and casually mentioned I needed a sender unit, out comes a Chinese set, complete with gauge, R 150 and it works perfectly with the VDO gauge.
I went to probably the biggest spares shop in CT looking for the oil filler cap for the CVH motor in my 7, no ways, went to the "little" store in town, "how many do you want?"
Crazy, but I am now their biggest fan.
DieterD
DieterD

Return to Electrics