Wiring?

Wiring, instruments, switchgear etc

Moderator: BradW

Wiring?

Postby AndreR on Thu May 24, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi peoples

What wiring is generally used for lights, etc? Is standard 1.5 mm (sq) ok, or should it be 2.5 or is there some specific automotive wire? :?
AndreR

Re: Wiring?

Postby Joose on Fri May 25, 2012 8:58 am

It depends on the current you are putting through the wire. First, you need to work out how much current the wire needs to take (power(Watts) = Volts x Current (Amps) or Current = Power/Volts), then use a wire that can comfortably handle that current. Here is an excellent website about wiring your own car.You would do well to read everything on this site :) :

http://www.constructorscarclub.org.nz/a ... ireratings
Building: 4AGE 20v Locost SA
Road Car: a big, red, shouty thing with an MG badge on it..
Joose

Postby AndreR on Fri May 25, 2012 9:11 am

Great, thanx Joose. I will use a Mr Turbo harness, so the engine wiring will be fine. The rest will just be the normal front lights, indicators, rear lights, hooter and so on. My gut tells me that 1.5 should be ok.
AndreR

Postby Joose on Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am

AndreR wrote:Great, thanx Joose. I will use a Mr Turbo harness, so the engine wiring will be fine. The rest will just be the normal front lights, indicators, rear lights, hooter and so on. My gut tells me that 1.5 should be ok.

Well all you need to know is the wattage of the globes you are using, then use those formulas to work out the current they will draw. Once you know the current, check that table and see what wire thickness you need. Things like the rear lights probably wont matter because they are typically low power globes (like 5w), but for headlights its important you do the calculations, because a 100w headlight globe will draw 100w/14v = 7amps each. So if you run both headlights off a 1.5 wire, it will draw 14amps, which is more than what the 1.5 can handle (13amps). So in this case, you should either use one 1.5 per headlight, or a 2.5 wire for both.

Its simple high-school physics and maths - no need to use your "gut" :P
Building: 4AGE 20v Locost SA
Road Car: a big, red, shouty thing with an MG badge on it..
Joose

Postby AndreR on Fri May 25, 2012 9:53 am

hehe - true true. I wasn't thing very much there. 2 headlights, not 1.... :oops:
AndreR

Postby ross on Sat May 26, 2012 10:10 pm

Just make sure that the switches you use can handle the current as well, if in doubt use a relay.
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Return to Electrics