Which Engine Management System?

Wiring, instruments, switchgear etc

Moderator: BradW

Which Engine Management System?

Postby Wynand on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:45 am

My car is nearing completion and currently busy overhauling the 3GSTE engine and await some spares from the land of the rising sun.

The question is which ECU to use? A lot of good and bad vibes about on different systems which make choosing difficult, moreso in my small town where good tuners are hard to find.
My requirements for ECU is simple: just need something that handles spark and fuel bare in mind it is a turbo engine, must be simple to install and of course easy to program. Needless to say it must be affordable and the car will only be used as a road car.

The following units comes to mind;

1. Perfect Power XMS4 A group
2. Gotech MFI X
3. Dictator Standard (btw, hear good things about this and ease of tune...if true)

Over and above what is in the kit, what else must I still buy? Crank sensor come to mind or can one get away without that on my particular engine. It is a single coil distributor engine and not the coil pack unit.

All help and information will be gladly appreciated. Thanks
Wynand
Webpage: http://5psi.net
Car: McSorley 442E chassis
2.0l Ford Pinto with ZX9 bike carbs
Lightened flywheel, camjob, 4-2-1 exh
5 Speed Ford type 9 g/box
IRS - 3.7:1 diff ratio
Wynand

Re: Which Engine Management System?

Postby andredp on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:13 am

Find a tuner you trust, then ask him what system he is comfortable tuning based on your requirements/engine. Most of the systems are good, most of the tuners are not.
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Postby Wynand on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks Andre, excellent advice and did what you said and after a few phone calls - which all refer to the same guy - got down and spoke to him in his shop and he is familiar with all but prefer the Dictator for many reasons he mentioned.
He does not have a dyno and prefer to set the unit whilst one is driving around for real world results. Apparently he is the one that does most of the "windgatte" and racer's cars in and around town :wink:
Finally, he said I do not need to buy anything else - the signal get picked up from the distributor after some changes/adjustments he does to it.
Wynand
Wynand

Postby andredp on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:12 am

Hi Wynand
I personally prefer to have finer control etc, which the Dictator doesn't give you, but from what I heard it is reliable. Good luck with that. BTW, you simply CANNOT get max out of the management if you do not tune at least some of the higher rpm/load parts of the map on a dyno.
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Postby Martin Bezuidenhout on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:28 am

Hi wynand,
You can also consider using Steven van Niekerk,although he prefers Gotech, at least have access to a dyno.He operates right on your doorstep.You can get his
contact details from Ponti.Remember the TLR races at Phakisa on the 25th.Hope to see you there.
Martin.
Martin Bezuidenhout

Postby Martin Bezuidenhout on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:32 am

Wynand,
I found Steven's cell number
Martin
Martin Bezuidenhout

Postby Wynand on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:31 am

Thanks Martin,

Spoke to Steven at his brothers auto shop and I think Im going the Gotech way which incidentally was my intention all along but hearing things about other makes from others clouds one mind so to speak.

Long time since you been to my build - why not pop in some time and have a look at how she's coming along. 8)
Wynand
Wynand

Postby Martin Bezuidenhout on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:19 pm

Wynand,
I will agree with Andre' on this one.It depends on the quality of the installation and the tuner.I know that other guy you're hinting about.Visiting hours are
limited nowadays since they installed a tracker in my bakkie but I will pop in some time.
Martin.
Martin Bezuidenhout

Postby rooster on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:17 am

I have used both goteck and dicktator systems,the goteck does have very nice functions but i had major problems with it throwing maps away and losing memory(while driving it would change from 4 cyl to 6 cyl setting ect)I exchanged it and had the same problems again.dictator is more for drag cars,very simple mapping,not the best cold start maps ect.and not so many functions,but for a street car it is very easy to install and tune,also very reliable.Recently i also instaled a spitronics system (advance)for a friend and was very happy with it,lots of functions(Lambda,launch controll)but is a bit more complicated to set up,you will deff need a dyno but is a much "finer" system than dictator
rooster

Postby Wynand on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:54 pm

rooster wrote:Recently i also instaled a spitronics system (advance)for a friend and was very happy with it,lots of functions(Lambda,launch controll)but is a bit more complicated to set up,you will deff need a dyno but is a much "finer" system than dictator

Funny you should mention this Rooster, I actually ordered the Spitronic Titan Standard Type 3 this morning... 8)

After my post where I decided on the Gotech, I was still not "comfortable" with the decision and spent a lot of time on the net browsing forums, tuning sites etc and quite often one read about Gotech loosing maps :shock: and some other smaller issues. Spitronics have quite a decent following and not much bad to be found.
Paging through the impressive installation and product data (96 pages, described in simple terms even my wife will understand) it is really simple to install, even the distributor magnetic phasing is kids play and programming seems simple enough to get it running. No need for TP100 Ignition module as it is on-board and separate AFM is nice and a bargain at R2010 complete with harnesses. I believe it come with some specific engine maps on the CD - will wait and see.

Seems like the Spitronic is a favorite amongst drag racers and drifters for some reason.

EDIT: I ordered the wrong model and had to exchange the Titan std for the Intermediate model to accommodate the 24 teeth, TDC Toyota distributor - but the advantages now are that the dizzy is wired to ECU as is and have sequential fuel injection to name but two 8)
Last edited by Wynand on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wynand
Wynand

Postby rooster on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:25 pm

Cool,you made a good choice,their service backup is also very very good,if you get stuck with something talk to lois at the office,he is very helpfull
rooster

Return to Electrics