sierra switches

Wiring, instruments, switchgear etc

Moderator: BradW

sierra switches

Postby ross on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:26 pm

Has anybody used the original switches from a Sierra for their lights and indicators? I've just spent about 3 hours trying to figure out how they work. I've got wiring schematics but the pin numbers and wire colours in the schematics don't exactly match the switches I have. The switches feel ok when pushed from one position to another, but no matter what I do I can't seem to get any connections. Maybe the switches are shot, but it seems a bit strange that nothing works. Any advice, comments, suggestions would be appreciated. Alternatively has anyone got switches that they're not going to use?
Cheers,
Ross
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Re: sierra switches

Postby andredp on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:30 pm

Ross are you absolutely set on using the Sierra switchgear? I used them on my blue car and *should* be able to get them working if I spend some time on them, but they are fairly unreliable. I would seriously consider alternatives if I were you.
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Postby ross on Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:06 pm

Hi Andre',
Thanks for the response. I'd like to use them as I don't want individual switches on the dash, I found some on e bay and I've ordered those. They'll be shipped to my sister in law and she will either post them to me or keep them 'til we go there in december. I figured out the ones I have just don't work, they didn't really cost me anything as the guy threw them in with the column for the same price.
I've mocked up the dash, so I can start tidying up the wiring, I still haven't got that stupid little clip from Ford, so I can't carry on with the engine bay.
Cheers,
Ross
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Postby Joose on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:00 am

Another question on this: Does anybody know if any other stalks will fit the Sierra steering column? Like maybe a Bantam's? I would like to use something more modern and not used spares if I can.
Building: 4AGE 20v Locost SA
Road Car: a big, red, shouty thing with an MG badge on it..
Joose

Return to Electrics