toyota coil connections

Wiring, instruments, switchgear etc

Moderator: BradW

toyota coil connections

Postby ross on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:05 pm

I just want to confirm the connections on my coil. It has two wires coming from it, a fairly heavy wire (white with red trace) and a much lighter one (black with a white interupted trace). I'm assuming the white wire is the positive for the coil and the black one is used to fire the coil via the ECU. The coil being earthed through it's frame. Is this right? I'll appreciate any advice, thanks.
Ross
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Re: toyota coil connections

Postby muller on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:57 pm

What coil are you using?

Typically a coil is hard wired to the + on the battery and the management will trigger the negative wire (i.e. it is not earthed through it frame)
Anton

Race car 1: Birkin IRS 4AGE 20v (TLR class B - B10)
Race car 2: Birkin IRS 4AGE 20v (TLR Class B for SO - B20)
Road car: erm.. who cares
muller

Postby andredp on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi Ross

Polarity on the coil is not that important. One wire supplies an ignition switched +12V(not permanent positive though), and the other wire is pulsed to ground by the manegement system, causing the coil to fire. Can't really help you with the colours, will have to check when I visit, but like I said, not that important.
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Postby ross on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:40 pm

Ok if it's pulsed to ground, then the black wire with the white trace, must go to the ECU, the other one would be switched ignition, right?
At present the wires are very short and I want extend them to reach where they have to go, my aim is to have all the electrics in place so that, when you come Andre', we don't have to mess around extending wires, so far I've had to extend the wires from the alternator as they were too short. No matter, I'll extend them anyway so that they will reach the connectors on the scuttle. Just as an aside, I'm using a Corolla handbrake and I can't find the switch for the handbrake warning lamp, I took it off to modify the lever mounting brackets. Anyway, I went to the Toyota dealers today to buy a new one, guess what, the price R359.65, so I said to the guy I only need one not ten, at least we had a laugh about it, can you believe it!! I'll get one at Toysan in Mitchell St.
Ross
ross

Postby andredp on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi Ross

Don't worry too much about which one is which, just extend all the wires to reach the plugs on the scuttle. When I come around I'll fit the lugs and plug them into the correct corresponding plugs on the other side.

Eish, R359 is crazy. Typical car dealerships though :evil:
Andre'
andredp

Postby ross on Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:28 pm

Went to Toysan this morning and bought a complete handbrake lever from a tazz for R50. It's amazing, Toyota has altered the mounting lugs so now the assembly is exactly the same as the one I modified, it'll fit perfectly onto the brackets I made on the chassis. What a bargain!
Ross
ross

Postby andredp on Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:49 pm

Hehe, thats cool. Ross is that a brand new item or second hand?
Andre'
andredp

Postby ross on Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:32 pm

No It's a used one but it's in pretty well perfect condition. Another question, what's the plug gap on the 20 valve engine, I can't find it in the manual I've got. I've completely finished the wiring now apart from the through the scuttle connections, I think I should be ready to have a go at starting the engine next week end.
Ross
ross

Return to Electrics