Wipers

Wiring, instruments, switchgear etc

Moderator: BradW

Wipers

Postby Van on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:28 pm

What are the options for wipers in terms of the motors etc. coming from donor cars? Are there ones that are commonly used.

Would like to keep costs down here :oops:
Ettienne

Building: Haynes Roadster -- 20V Silvertop -- T50
Van

Re: Wipers

Postby andredp on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:46 am

Mini (Old one) motor, arms and wipers is your best bet if you can get them cheap. Otherwise you will have to mod another car's. VW Golf as donor has aparently been done sucessfully.
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Postby ross on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:13 pm

I bought a wiper kit from Birkin, it's all vw parts some of which have been modified, but for me the wiper centres are too far apart. Also no matter what I try I can't get them to operate without making a clunking noise. You probably wouldn't hear it with the engine running but I don't like it. I'm thinking of using a mini motor attached to the vw "pantograph". If I can get my aeroscreen idea to work I won't bother with wipers.
Ross
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Postby Piet on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:50 am

Has any body managed to successfully fit wipers and from an old donor vehicle. I know that the mini's work but to get them and then the price! I am also busy scratching around in the scrappies, but what I can get is without all the bits pieces, damaged or have been removed from the car. I would like to see it on the car before buying it. I found a Ghetz that could work but then the scrappies want R800 for the motor alone, crazy. I suppose it's dependant on the age of the scrapped vehicle. I would have liked to fit wipers before painting, but it looks like I am going to have to paint first, just cannot wait any longer for some colour on the car. :cry:
Locost Scratch Build + 100mm
Toyota Silver Top 20VVT
Piet

Postby Kango on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:36 pm

Somewhere I red that I think some of the Landrover Defenders has the same type of set up as the mini.
2 little gearboxes with the wiper attached and the a tube with a cable/pushrod in that drive the 2 gearboxes, but unfortunately did not pay too much attention as I never plannes a windscreen. I have an owners manual for a Defender, it it is wurth anything to any body I will scratch it out and have a look at the wiper set up. Could scan and past the relevant pages.
Completed Book Chassis & 1600 Kent
Completed +442 Chassis & 16V Toyo
Completed Birkin live axle & 20v Toyo
Building - Exoskeletal Midmount
Kango

Postby Piet on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:29 pm

Thanks Kango
As you can see I have already painted my pride and joy, but I now despirately need wipers before I can proceed for roadworthy. If you could scan and fax or email me the pics it would be greately appreciated, to piet@bluskys.co.za my fax no 0865443935. There are a number of Landies in the scrappies, it is just a matter of finding the right one.
I speak under correction but I think Brad said he might be getting some in. Will follow up.
Many thanks
Locost Scratch Build + 100mm
Toyota Silver Top 20VVT
Piet

Postby Joose on Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:03 am

I am also getting to the Wiper stage now and find myself slightly confused about what I actually need. For instance, how many degrees of rotation is enough (110 or 130?), how long should the wiper arm be? (11", less?), how long should the wiper blade be (9",10", or 11"?) should I go for a rigid wiper blade, or do I need a sprung blade? And what is the difference between a "left park" wiper arm and a "right park" wiper arm? I had no idea there were so many things to consider regarding wipers! :D Anyone able to offer some insight?

thanks in advance.
Building: 4AGE 20v Locost SA
Road Car: a big, red, shouty thing with an MG badge on it..
Joose

Return to Electrics