Build problem

Engines, Gearboxes, axles and anything in between

Moderator: BradW

Build problem

Postby Stephen22 on Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:39 pm

I started building my new locost. Im busy with the front wishbone but I cannot get them to line up. The top wishbone is spaced as far forward as possible the lower is spaced as far back as possible but still no luck. Im not sure what I am doing wrong.

Stephen22

Re: Build problem

Postby Wynand on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:24 am

What Im seeing is the amount of caster your setup delivers which is positive, meaning the vertical axis is leaning backwards which is ideal for self centering and tracking, much like a supermarket trolley wheels.
What you need to worry about is the amount of caster you dial in - to little and the car is fiddly and all over the road and do not self centre the steering and too much difficult to turn wanting to go just straight.

Looking at your pics and the top balljoint it seems you are using Cortina uprights and those critters works best at about 7 degree positive camber, which my previous car (7.5 degrees) had with Cortina units and handles perfectly. Judging the angle you seems to be spot on for about 6-7 degree caster range.
That said, how is the vertical alignment of the bottom and top balljoints looking from the front, iow camber. I cannot make out if you have camber adjusters fitted and if not, you would prefer to have about 0.5 degree negative camber, meaning the wheel leans ever so slightly inwards at the top.

Hope this helps
Wynand
Webpage: http://5psi.net
Car: McSorley 442E chassis
2.0l Ford Pinto with ZX9 bike carbs
Lightened flywheel, camjob, 4-2-1 exh
5 Speed Ford type 9 g/box
IRS - 3.7:1 diff ratio
Wynand

Re: Build problem

Postby Stephen22 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:55 pm

That was a lot of info Wynand. I would have thought those two ball joints must line up.
Stephen22

Return to Running Gear