What engine to go for?

Engines, Gearboxes, axles and anything in between

Moderator: BradW

What engine to go for?

Postby Stephen22 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:35 am

When you were at the stage of choosing an engine, what made you decide on the engine you have? Is there an engine that is best for a 7?
Stephen22

Re: What engine to go for?

Postby BuzzFuzz on Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:54 pm

I wanted to got for the engine in the book, the carb ford motor... I was then convinced to go for the 20V 4AGE motor... simply price and bang.
I have done about 250km so far with a random tune, and its flipping amazing.
Have not driven 7's with other motors, but the 20V is plenty good for the money IMHO
Jethro

1) Scratch build - 20V blacktop & T50 box (done... but always tweaking)
BuzzFuzz

Postby Stephen22 on Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:39 am

My only issue is the Ford Rocam looks easier to install then the 4AGE.
Stephen22

Postby 200sxrb25 on Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:19 pm

If you want to go old school you can go for the ford 1600 kent and you can fit toyta 20v throttles on it. But 2nd choice will be the the toy 20v or the toy 1600 16v.
200sxrb25

Postby Stephen22 on Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:22 am

Will a Ford Focus Duratec ST engine fit? Just exploring a few possibilitys.
Stephen22

Postby Forwardloop on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:05 pm

I thought this topic would have had far more interest than it's gotten so far.

My 2 cents worth - Toyota 20V!!!!!!

Both my father and brother's cars are running the blacktop 20V and they are reliable with loads of GO when you give them some juice. Plenty of people are running them and there are loads of people with solid knowledge about them to help you with any performance issues. One bit of advice with the 20V though, don't skimp on the engine management and mount it somewhere where it won't get wet or hot. But bang for buck, they are the way to go. Saw one at a motor dealer a couple months ago for about R6k.

My current 7 restoration is running at 1600 Kent. They are classic engines and sound the part too, but they certain ain't going to make an M3 sweat off the line. I know they can be highly tuned up to put out some serious power but I think by the time you have done all of that you are into big bucks and then I would start worrying about reliability. They are simple engines and good for cruising/touring sevens.

I know that in a couple years time I will be swapping out the Kent for a Toyota 20V. But at the moment the budget is all going to getting the car finished and back onto the road.

The question in my mind though, how long until we start looking at the smaller turbo'd engines, like the Ford ecosport or VW 1.4 TSI, for our sevens.
1) Birkin, Kent powered - complete rebuild underway
Forwardloop

Postby BuzzFuzz on Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Money aside...
I would love a Honda S2000 motor and gearbox with a LS diff :)
Or maybe a 1300 Motorbike engine with the sequential gearbox (maybe a turbo, but think that may take away the skill in keeping the RPM high.)
A Mazda MX5 2.0L motor and gearbox could be a decent balance, but still pricey in SA.

Loads of torque in a 7 does not seem to be the best, so high RPM and Kw's are awesome.
Too much torque and it seems to become a real handful, half throttle around every corner else you can read the rear number plate in front of you. (wish I could say I this is from experience, but its just what I've heard and read)

Not sure about the Focus Duratec ST motor... sure it can be done but the cost of the motor and for the custom bell-housing (off hand don't think there are any in SA) to get a RWD gearbox to fit could be high.

New lightweight 3 cylinder Turbo motors and the quick-shifting double clutch gearboxes, cant be too far away from finding their way into 7's.
Imagine a GTI motor a RWD DSG box and that "cough" when one changes gears... :mrgreen:
Jethro

1) Scratch build - 20V blacktop & T50 box (done... but always tweaking)
BuzzFuzz

Postby Stephen22 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:00 am

Thanks for the info Gents, Im going to go with the black Top, still far from that part of the build tho. I have ordered my chassis from Brad and a lot of spares, it will arrive next week some time, then the build will start. :twisted:
Stephen22

Postby 200sxrb25 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:01 pm

200sxrb25

Postby lcoetzee on Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:58 pm

Will stay with my Black Top... Zetec,of course! The bellhousing wasn't an issue, Burton will allways have some in stock. And it looks REAL in a Locost!

Lourens
lcoetzee

Postby Wynand on Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:52 pm

A few weeks ago I finished my second Seven - current and previous cars built from scratch - no kits etc.

First car (my avatar pic) and featured elsewhere on this forum started life with a toyota 3SGTE making about 195kw but the car was not enjoyable and a real suicide machine. Never had a change to explored the road holding that proper setup Sevens a famous for because the power was overwhelming and difficult to control. Replaced the motor, and please do not laugh, with a 4Y motor, albeit with fuel injection and coil pack. This was a match made in heaven, could accelerate away in any gear from 1000rpm without any stuttering or hesitation. A friend of mine whom run a 16 valve 4ag motor with sidedraught webers, branch etc, could not believe how powerful that 4Y was and the tractability is had.
With this combination I could explore the chassis to the max of my ability and always in control and the car begging for more, but yours truly know his limits - living in the circle town of Welkom, owning a Seven is nirvana. Unfortunately, I got talked out of the car and always regret sellin it.

Last year October I decided to build another car. This car I changed a few things that bothered me with my last ride, like for instance entry and exiting - having a bust left knee and leg shortened after an accident many moons ago and turning 60 in a few months, getting into the Loti not easy so I sloped the "sill" from scuttle backward, much like the Collins chassis or vintage MG like.
Another change was to fit a brake booster - my wife uses my car and complained about the old car's hard unboosted brakes - brakes now sublime. Best mod, no matter what other say.

I decided to go old school to keep to the ethos of Lotus by keeping it Ford. I used the Sierra 2.0l Pinto engine - sump and oil pickup shortened not to hung out under chassis, the flywheel lightened from std 8.56kg to 4.9kg. a decent 4 - 2 - 1 exhaust branch build and mild cam. I fitted ZX9 bike carbs with custom made intake manifold and what a car my latest Seven turned out. That engine revs like a bike, fast and with no hesitation, no doubt the work of the constant velocity (venturi) ZX9's carbies. I accelerate from standing start to measured 90 meters and get the GPS on 105kph ( in 3rd gear already! having hit 6500 rpm in second gear)
The beauty with old school is as such, engine uses magnetic distributor with an ignition module and thats that. No expensive engine management and dyno tests (read expensive / destructive) to tune engine, easy to set timing and to balance the bike carbies - everything you can do yourself and best of all, dropping the cambelt a simple matter of fitting another because its a non-interference motor. Best of all, to get the power I make, really cost peanuts. These engines are cheap, spares as well...
I considered the fitting a 4AGE 20v but after driving a buddie's car, decided against. I do not like to rev a motor to dead to make it come alive and torque a bit crappy on the lower end of revs.

Building a street legal Seven one have to look at what is lekker on the roads and not racing circuit. Believe me, when you do it a second time around, you think differently and only then you woke up and smelled the roses :wink: Been there and done that...

Here are some pics of the Pinto engine in my new car.

Wynand
Webpage: http://5psi.net
Car: McSorley 442E chassis
2.0l Ford Pinto with ZX9 bike carbs
Lightened flywheel, camjob, 4-2-1 exh
5 Speed Ford type 9 g/box
IRS - 3.7:1 diff ratio
Wynand

Postby Stephen22 on Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:00 am

Thank you Wynand that was a very interesting read.
Stephen22

Postby lcoetzee on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:02 pm

Hi Wynand

What a beauty! No more engineering or craftmanship, but pure art. Well done!

Lourens
lcoetzee

Postby Wynand on Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:27 am

Thanks for your kind words Lourens 8) Will I see you at "Cars in the park" show on October 03rd in Welkom? Only a short drive from Bloemmies.

A few changes took place since I posted the pics. I lengthened the exhaust pipe and fitted silencer guard made from 6mm stainless steel. This works like magic and stays cold, even after 30 minutes hard city driving, and one can still see the silencer. Unlike perforated plate covers that retains heat.
Another change was the rear mudguards that were raised and a nice boot fitted under rear boodlid.

Something to ponder about....Regardless what others say, the best mod contradictory to Seven gospel was the fitment of the brake booster. The brakes are sublime and the car can be stopped with the pressure of your finger. My wife enjoys driving it now because of the easy brakes.

Here is a pic of the car now.

And silencer guard
Wynand
Webpage: http://5psi.net
Car: McSorley 442E chassis
2.0l Ford Pinto with ZX9 bike carbs
Lightened flywheel, camjob, 4-2-1 exh
5 Speed Ford type 9 g/box
IRS - 3.7:1 diff ratio
Wynand

Postby lcoetzee on Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi Wynand

Will definitely see you at CITP, after being at ours in Bloem, it is not to be missed. And looking forward to tapping your brain... :wink:

Beautiful exhaust guard, only problem when working with stainless = PATIENCE!

Keep up the good work

Regards

Lourens
lcoetzee

Next

Return to Running Gear