Coolant

Engines, Gearboxes, axles and anything in between

Moderator: BradW

Coolant

Postby wattywat on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:43 am

Hi All

Not sure if it's the right thread but it has to do with the engine so......... :roll:

What coolant do you guys run (I have a 1.6 Rocam - but I'm sure this topic will apply to all motors)? I know that glycol-based coolants are banned for track use, but I've noticed a bit of rust in certain places on my coolant system. I've seen some people using Water Wetter (which is non-glycol-based).

I know that the options are limited due to spillages on track / flammable properties of glycol-based coolant, but I'd like to take care of the motor I'm running and normal water doesn't seem like the best option for me.

I will be taking the car on track so I need to make sure that it complies with the regulations :)

Cheers
Bryce
wattywat

Re: Coolant

Postby BuzzFuzz on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:51 pm

Lets see what the others say, but only if you are going to race do you need the non-glycol based coolant. (I'm 97.37% sure of that :) ) track days should be fine.

My advice on glycol based coolant due to working in the industry.
I would go for a decent 50/50 mix. (Green type if there is no Aluminium... blue/pink/purple types if you have Alu)(its a long explanation as to why, but generally has to do with the additive package in the product)
Not a concentrate - trying to mix it yourself and having to get the correct quality (hardness) water can be an issue.
Using a product like one from Fuchs(I am bias toward them, but there are some other good products out there) - the water they use is demineralised, the ratio is spot on and the additive package (most important) is very high quality.

Too much Glycol and your system will just run hot... too little and corrosion, pitting and wear become issues.
Some people try and tweak the mix ratio and I would not recommend it, but 40 glycol and 60 water is about the max ratio.
Jethro

1) Scratch build - 20V blacktop & T50 box (done... but always tweaking)
BuzzFuzz

Postby wattywat on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:53 am

Hi Jethro

Thanks for the response!

Even if it isn't a requirement for track days only, I'd rather have a safer coolant running around in there... Saw someone post something about their coolant pipe coming loose, and spraying onto the exhaust and setting the whole car on fire! :shock:

Will see if anyone else posts some opinions :)

Otherwise I'll go with a pre-mixed non-glycol based coolant to play it on the safe side!

Cheers
Bryce
wattywat

Postby andersonhdj on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:42 pm

Pros and cons of Propylene Glycol? Aside from expense of course?? :)
Hamish.
andersonhdj

Return to Running Gear