MK1 Ford Diff - Costs

Engines, Gearboxes, axles and anything in between

Moderator: BradW

MK1 Ford Diff - Costs

Postby BuzzFuzz on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:02 am

Hi All,

I bought my Diff from a scrap yard around 6 years ago.(yes the build has been slow...)

Its now almost ready to be driven around, but I don't want to take in on the road with no oil in the Diff (its been around the garden a few times). I checked the oil level the other day and it was bone dry. So filled it up with some nice thick 85W140 LS GL5 gear oil (ok I dont need the LS, but I got it real cheap).
The next day half the oil had leaked out the front of the diff and by day two it was pretty much empty.

I tried taking off the front nut to get access to the seal, so I could take it to a spares shop. But no ammount of force I put in could free the nut. So I took it to a mechanic (who has better tools than me) to see if he could replace the seal, and while it was there, do the front and side bearings.
He quoted me R4400 :shock:
I bought the diff for R800, so R4.4k so sounds very high.

Not sure if any of you know what it would cost to do something like that, but I just asked him to do the seal and leave the bearings. He has not given me a price just yet... not looking forward to it.
Jethro

1) Scratch build - 20V blacktop & T50 box (done... but always tweaking)
BuzzFuzz

Re: MK1 Ford Diff - Costs

Postby andersonhdj on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:55 pm

I would imagine those pinion nuts to be hella tight , i have a mk 2 diff and was looking to change out the flange , have to admit to not trying yet but guess it's going to be a beeech . Also been a very slow build - not finished yet.

Anyway some curve ball thought i gleaned from another source sometime ago , getting the crank pulley nut loose on the Mazda bakkie to change the cambelt - put the appropriate socket and power bar onto the nut, rest it on a piece of wood under the vehicle and tap the starter , bolt loose.

So perhaps you see where this is leading , i know it's not possible to do exactly that but perhaps with the diff in situ same plot and some rocking of the chassis - just a thought.

Another one - check the direction of the thread - another mate spent hours trying to loosen the wheel nuts on an old Datsun bakkie, called me looking for a cutting torch , have you tried going the other way ? Some vehicles used l/h thread on the offside wheels . OMG you' were right !!
Hamish.
andersonhdj

Re: MK1 Ford Diff - Costs

Postby BuzzFuzz on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:26 pm

OK so bill for the seal is R690... still a bit high Just to take a freaking tight nut off and replace a seal.

If it does not leak anymore, I'll take her out for a spin soon :)

Need to make the front wing stays an put them on and then do a proper windscreen... currently I'm using a small piece of perspex I had lying around... more of a thin wind deflector at the moment.

So Close (I'm sure I'll run into more leaks and things that need fixing once testing)
but still So close
Jethro

1) Scratch build - 20V blacktop & T50 box (done... but always tweaking)
BuzzFuzz

Return to Running Gear