Input Shaft Not Seating

Engines, Gearboxes, axles and anything in between

Moderator: BradW

Input Shaft Not Seating

Postby wattywat on Wed May 28, 2014 8:55 am

Hello Forum :)

It's me again... :oops: So while replacing the input shaft seal and I had the front bearing cover off, the input shaft slid out of the gearbox SLIGHTLY when I was cleaning it up, and now it won't go back in again properly. I've slid the gearbox out and had a look through the top cover and I cant see much, but I did take a couple of pictures if they help. It was in 4th gear when it popped out.

I've had a look at repair manuals to try and figure out what could possibly stop it from going back in again, but I can't seem to come up with anything! Any ideas on what is blocking it from seating properly? :?

Cheers,
Bryce

wattywat

Re: Input Shaft Not Seating

Postby wattywat on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Okay so it turned out that when the input shaft slipped forward, the box was in 4th gear (I don't have a handbrake so didn't want her rolling anywhere) and the blocker bars popped out and one got wedged between the input shaft and 3rd/4th gear synchro hub. :shock: definitely learnt my lesson with that one! A 5 minute fix became a week long endeavor!

Consequently, I dismantled the entire gearbox (apart from stripping the gears off of the countershaft and mainshaft), took of the 3rd/4th gear synchro hub, put the blocker bars back, and put it all back together. One positive is I have replaced the oil seals so that should hopefully stop leaking like a sieve!

I'm trying to find some roll pins/c pins to put the selector mechanism back together, then pop in some oil in and that's done. :)

Thanks to Ross for all the help through it all! I really appreciate it!

Cheers,
Bryce
wattywat

Postby andersonhdj on Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:27 am

Hamish.
andersonhdj

Postby wattywat on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:06 am

Thanks Hamish! I sourced them from JKM Industrial Supplies in Randburg. Super helpful and have every size you can imagine there!

Time to get this all back together again after work today! :D

Cheers
wattywat

Return to Running Gear