Type 9 Oil Leak

Engines, Gearboxes, axles and anything in between

Moderator: BradW

Type 9 Oil Leak

Postby wattywat on Thu May 08, 2014 1:32 pm

Hi forum!

I recently bought woolfie's yellow Locost and have been fixing up some little leaks that my OCD-ness couldn't bear to deal with :roll:

One of the leaks I have to deal with is from the front of the gearbox. Some red gasket sealer has obviously been used to patch up the issue before, but I'd rather do a "proper" fix than a temporary one. The thing that's confusing me is the fact that this plate doesn't look like the standard one with the bolts holding it in place? How would I get this off, and is the o-ring/oil seal readily available for this?

Cheers,
Bryce
wattywat

Re: Type 9 Oil Leak

Postby ross on Fri May 09, 2014 11:46 am

Whilst the front bearing retainer is unusual it is a Ford gearbox part. the oil seal is a standard 40x27x 7 or 8 whichever you can get, should cost R12-15 and is readily available at any bearing or seal place. To remove the retainer you'll have to undo those four stand offs that have been fitted to work with a concentric clutch release. There should be a 0.8mm gasket between the retainer and the front of the gear box, easy enough to make. The oil seal is inside the retainer and must be fitted with the lip towards the gear box, I've seen a couple where the seal has been installed the wrong way round. Hope this helps.
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Postby wattywat on Sun May 11, 2014 11:24 am

Thanks Ross! :)

I'll try using a nut to make a locknut to get those standoffs off.

Appreciate the help!
wattywat

Postby ross on Sun May 11, 2014 12:17 pm

If they're long enough you could probably get them off with a stud extractor.
ross

Postby wattywat on Mon May 12, 2014 3:28 pm

Hmm... Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't a stud extractor destroy the thread inside the standoffs? :shock:

The lock nut didn't work - the thread pitch is too big so it just rotates the lock nut loose no matter how tight I make it...

Next choice is a bobbejaan spanner?
wattywat

Postby ross on Fri May 16, 2014 9:13 am

No the stud extractor would fit over the stand off and grip it on the O/D, it wouldn't touch the threads. Are you intending to use the stand offs, if not then just weld nuts onto the ends, the monkey wrench is likely to damage them anyway.
ross

Postby wattywat on Fri May 16, 2014 11:57 am

Ah, was thinking of the wrong kind of stud extractor. Will give it a shot, haven't had a chance all week but will try tonight if I can get to Midas today! Definitely using them again so would like to keep them in tact!

Thanks for the help though Ross, really appreciate it :)
wattywat

Return to Running Gear