Clutch Stop

Engines, Gearboxes, axles and anything in between

Moderator: BradW

Clutch Stop

Postby Garreth on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi guys,

Ok so had the annular clutch similar to brads one made up and installed.

What I need to know is how do I determine if I need a clutch stop with out popping the slave?
How many of you guys actually run clutch stops?
Will I be able to feel, through back pressure on the pedal, when the slave is at its maximum ans shouldn't be extended further?
I am running a Landrover Defender master cylinder with a 3/4" internal bore.

Any wisdom and insight here would be great as I am sure we all know to pull everything out is a bloody mission once its in.

Cheers
Completed 1.6L 20V ST
Designing Ariel Atom Clone
http://www.garrethslotus.tumblr.com
Garreth

Re: Clutch Stop

Postby ross on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:13 am

A clutch stop is a must as far as I'm concerned. You will feel no pressure change then the pedal will go all the way forward; and you'll need to buy a new slave cylinder, I know this from personal experience. You should also fit a removable panel above the pedal box in front of the fire wall, it makes working on the pedals much easier, just about impossible without.
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Postby Garreth on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:13 am

Ok I will do.

Now logic says to me,
1) Install the engine and gearbox.
2) Press on the pedal until it just releases the clutch.
3) Set clutch stop a few mm short this point. (as to ensure for complete disengagement regardless)
4) Done

That simple or am I missing something?

PS: Thank you to you Ross. Must admit out of the majority of my posts on this forum you have been the most consistent at answering with solutions and general help. It is much appreciated. :D :D :D
Completed 1.6L 20V ST
Designing Ariel Atom Clone
http://www.garrethslotus.tumblr.com
Garreth

Postby ross on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:33 am

No Problem Garreth, When you bleed the clutch, you can do it with your hand, and when you've got all the air out, close the bleed nipple to the point where fluid is still coming out but you can feel the increased effort required to depress the pedal. Note where the pedal is, that's the point to have the clutch stop set at initially; it probably won't be enough to let the clutch release properly, but you can adjust it carefully until you get a proper release.
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Return to Running Gear