5 speed up grde

Engines, Gearboxes, axles and anything in between

Moderator: BradW

5 speed up grde

Postby bad ass bob on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:29 pm

im doing an upgrade on my 5 speed,

i need to lengthen the needle rollers from 19mm to 25mm diameter 3.35mm _+ 25 of these bad boys are needed, an anyone help??

Bob
bad ass bob

Re: 5 speed up grde

Postby andersonhdj on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Go see fred at SKF - bottom of Haupt street.
Hamish.
andersonhdj

Postby ross on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:26 am

Hi Bob,
There are 21 of those needle rollers, the best place to get them from is Burton Power in the UK, they really are pretty cheap, I tried a couple of Ford dealerships in my area, they didn't have any and they were'nt able to order them, so I bought a set from Burton. They have a pretty slick web site and ordering from them is easy, the only drawback is that,these days, they only ship via DHL, they used to offer small package airmail. I've workrd on a stack of those boxes, I've got three of them in my workshop at the moment. When you reassemble the needle rollers into the laygear use Vaseline Blueseal to hold them in place, stick 4th gear synchro to the dog gear on the input shaft using vaseline, otherwise it tends to slip off and it's a bugger to get it back in place. The other tip is when you're reffiting the layshaft don't turn the box upside down like it says in the book, push the layshaft in from the rear and use your finger at the front end to pick upthe laygear while pushing down on the end of the layshaft and slide the shaft into position. If I'm teaching you to suck eggs then I apologise.
Regards,
Ross
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Postby bad ass bob on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:13 pm

Ross, thanks for the info

Hammish , i will give him a shout
bad ass bob

Postby ross on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:48 am

Hamish did you actually find the needle rollers that size, I tried a number of places around Pretoria, I could get 3mm and 3.5mm but not 3.35, it's neither a standard metric or imperial size as far as I could determine. Actually I came up with a mod that gets rid of the needle rollers and uses a proper needle roller bearing with an inner and outer race instead. I make up a short shaft for the front that goes through the front of the case and into the bearing that sits inside the laygear, the original layshaft is no longer used. Basically, it's a copy of what Ford did to strengthen the 3l boxes. I've got one of Andre's boxes here to fix, it's the first box that I did this mod on, so it's going to be interesting to se how it's held up after a fair number of races. The nice thing is that if the bearing wears it's easy to replace and it's cheap.
ross

Postby bad ass bob on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:11 pm

Hammish,

Fred left SKF ages ago according to the women i spoke to , and ive been in contact with bearing international, also only 3.5mm rollers
bad ass bob

Postby andersonhdj on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:07 pm

Ross , no i've never had to source these but I've always had goo dealings with SKF after a couple of crankshaft disasters caused by the crap BMG sold me, use BMG as a last resort. Skf have helped before when no one else could or would.

Your mod probably makes more sense in that a standard bearing is pref to hunting rollers like this. I suspect that though it may not be a common size, tho i have had situation where bearings are made to manufacturers spec and cannot be obtained other than from the dealer at exhorbitant prices - Yamaha swing arm bearings - incidently also a needle roller assy.

Brandon, anything is possible in the bearing business, guys move around like crazy, i've been served by a person at one shop one week , and the very next week found the same person working for the competition. Seen it a number of times. Was'nt by any chance Louise? Red headed lady.
How did you come by the size? Just asking!

Will see if i can find my SKF manual. SKF France do special runs, there may be something in it. Used to get my high temp bearings in bulk from them, only one run a year and if you missed the cutoff you are stuffed, had it happen once where the storeman did'nt place the order in time and we were replacing bearings every six weeks on our Depyrogenation oven which runs at 400 Deg C.

There is only 1 m btw.
Hamish.
andersonhdj

Postby bad ass bob on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:00 pm

hi Hamish.

the size is measured from an existing neddle roller out of my box, and the mod is a common mod done on pre uprated boxes, it helps carry the loadin the lay shaft, incresing the leanth of the rollers by 6mm,evenif i find caged rollers i can pull them apart , i need 21 of them
bad ass bob

Postby andersonhdj on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:42 pm

Hey Bob,
Yeah i got all that, did you get my facebook msg?
It seems to me IF the rollers as specd for the rear of the layshaft are the same diameter on the rocket box you may be able to get new against that part #.
According to the Burton power site, those rollers are 26mm long which sounds like it may be the thing. They are also indicated to fit the type9 according to the parts heading which is part of the msg i sent on FB.
Hamish.
andersonhdj

Postby bad ass bob on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:18 am

andersonhdj wrote:Hey Bob,
Yeah i got all that, did you get my facebook msg?
It seems to me IF the rollers as specd for the rear of the layshaft are the same diameter on the rocket box you may be able to get new against that part #.
According to the Burton power site, those rollers are 26mm long which sounds like it may be the thing. They are also indicated to fit the type9 according to the parts heading which is part of the msg i sent on FB.

Hamish ,have been in comms with Ross and he is going to help me out where possible, thanks again ! hows your ride comming on ???
bad ass bob

Postby bad ass bob on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:12 pm

Ross,

you are a boffin,
made up thebent screw driver, pry bar thingy, and Bobs your bestist buddy , amazing how that can seriously __ck you around,

thanks again for the help and pics, including patience

Bob Brandon
bad ass bob

Postby ross on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:13 am

Hi Bob Brandon :D
Glad you came right, putting it back together is easier than taking it apart eh.
ross

Postby bad ass bob on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:09 pm

Ross,

box is together, from seized to free and lubbed up, selecting all gears , so now to go in the car, nice surprise was because I have a 2l box in the car now, the prop shaft stays, just change the yoke, putting in a cam, and when I got some bucks will do the 1300 piston route, but having an awesome time working on my car, thanks so much for all your support and help, much appreciated

Bab
bad ass bob

Postby ross on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:01 am

Hi Bab,
Glad I could help, enjoy the driving. :P
ross

Postby bad ass bob on Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:49 pm

hey Ross what oil should I run in this box of mine, iys not the uprated one
bad ass bob

Next

Return to Running Gear