Honda Power?

Engines, Gearboxes, axles and anything in between

Moderator: BradW

Re: Honda Power?

Postby Van on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:41 pm

We had a CJ5 with a 3.0 Ford V6 but it was sold before a much younger me could turn the 320mm steering wheel connected to the 285 BF's so I have this unfinished business feeling regarding a CJ. Wrangler is a fun toy too, a good friend of mine has one and it really is a fun toy. :)
Ettienne

Building: Haynes Roadster -- 20V Silvertop -- T50
Van

Postby ross on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:48 pm

So's the Wrangler, it will go anywhere, but like I said lacks character in its looks, not performance, 4 litre straight six, guttsy! for me the best looking jeep is the CJ2, I'd love one.
Ross
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Postby Van on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:54 pm

Yup they go anywhere but I know the 3 speed auto gives about 4 K's to the litre with a set of 33 inch tires on... Not great for student :x what kind of consumption do you get?
Ettienne

Van

Postby ross on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:00 pm

Well I can get from Centurion to Marloth Park on a tank which is, I think 62 litres, but it's bog standard no lift kits or big tyres.
Ross
ross

Postby ross on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:01 pm

Should have added it's a six speed manual.
ross

Postby Van on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:08 pm

Aah yes that does make a difference. Well now I have the Honda powered 7 to build, the AC Cobra we want, the CJ, the Class B 7, the aerobatic Biplane for my dad and that Sherman tank... I think I'll be busy for a while. Vanair asks that I must check with you whats happening with that little spring? Did you get his reply? Thanks btw
Ettienne

Van

Postby ross on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:35 pm

HI again,
Done the Cobra, rolled it, should be dead, but there you go. Regarding the spring, his last post was that he was going to work out whether it was better to get it from me or Craig, it's his call! Still don't understand why guys just can't use they'r everyday names to identify themselves.
We will be coming to MP again this year but I really don't know when, the wife's work commitments are pretty heavy. possibly not before December, then I could bring my spring or the complete calipers that Craig offered.
Ross
ross

Postby Van on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:44 pm

Ok thanks I will relay that to him, he is sick as a dog in bed from (probably) the spraying of the chassis so I dont think he kept track. About the everyday names, Its just a habit I developed on a previous forum where everyone's forum name kind of became nicknames. I get called "van" outside of the forums too so there you have it.

Thanks

Ettienne :wink:
Ettienne

Van

Postby ross on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:59 pm

Hi Ettiene,
Sorry to hear Pieter is sick, is he asthmatic, I am and I have to be really careful when I'm spraying. Give him my best regards and tell him I hope he gets well soon,
Regards,
Ross
ross

Postby Kango on Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:44 pm

If you want more power..What is best on a race track, normally aspirated (300 deg cams), turbo or super charge. I herd the word "tracktable power" chucked around. Thought forced induction is not tracktable power.
I am looking for 200 Hp but it looking impossible - normally aspirated.
Completed Book Chassis & 1600 Kent
Completed +442 Chassis & 16V Toyo
Completed Birkin live axle & 20v Toyo
Building - Exoskeletal Midmount
Kango

Re:

Postby Reno on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:40 pm

andredp wrote:There are 2 Lotii running around sporting S2000 powerplants as far as I know. You can get a S2000 engine, box, complete with management and cabling for around R35K from some of the importers.

Problem(apart from cost) with the S2000 powertrain is that it is a fairly wide box, and tall engine.

To be honest, for R35K you can build a very strong running Supercharged or turbo-ed engine that will kick the S2000's a$$.

Hey Andre just out of curiosity what motor would you modify? 4age 20v?

Thanks

Reno
Reno

Re: Re:

Postby andredp on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:03 pm

Reno wrote:
andredp wrote:There are 2 Lotii running around sporting S2000 powerplants as far as I know. You can get a S2000 engine, box, complete with management and cabling for around R35K from some of the importers.

Problem(apart from cost) with the S2000 powertrain is that it is a fairly wide box, and tall engine.

To be honest, for R35K you can build a very strong running Supercharged or turbo-ed engine that will kick the S2000's a$$.

Hey Andre just out of curiosity what motor would you modify? 4age 20v?

Thanks

Reno

Without a doubt the biggest, meanest Blackbird, Hyabusa or ZX14 engine I could lay my paws on :) But it depends on what you want to do with the car. If you want to use it on the road a lot, your other options (staying naturally aspirated anyway) is a modded Superboss or a RX8 rotary. In my humble opinion it is not worth the effort radically modifying the 20V. Don't get me wrong, it is a great engine for a Loti, but not for modifying.
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Postby ross on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:46 pm

Let's see what Greg's XR8 powered seven does! Should be very interesting. Regarding tuning the 20 valve, there's a guy in NZ claiming 225 hp or there abouts from a tweaked blacktop, might even be kW, can't exactly remember. It's design is based on the BDA motor and you could tune that thing like crazy. I've driven a HIllman minx estate, rally car, fitted with a serious BDA motor and it was awsome, turreted Bilsteins, oversized brakes, the works, noisy as hell though.
Ross
ross

Postby Kango on Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:34 am

Made sure my new car will be able to handle a Busa. I have herd they can produce 350 Hp with a turbo.

Just worried about the clutch.
Completed Book Chassis & 1600 Kent
Completed +442 Chassis & 16V Toyo
Completed Birkin live axle & 20v Toyo
Building - Exoskeletal Midmount
Kango

Postby andredp on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:08 am

ross wrote:Let's see what Greg's XR8 powered seven does! Should be very interesting. Regarding tuning the 20 valve, there's a guy in NZ claiming 225 hp or there abouts from a tweaked blacktop, might even be kW, can't exactly remember. It's design is based on the BDA motor and you could tune that thing like crazy. I've driven a HIllman minx estate, rally car, fitted with a serious BDA motor and it was awsome, turreted Bilsteins, oversized brakes, the works, noisy as hell though.
Ross

I find that hard to believe. The Formula Atlantics rumoured to revv past 11000RPM!!! made 240bhp@9500RPM, and that was full race spec engines that doesn't drive below 5000RPM, and makes the power between 8KRPM and 10KRPM. Also, you are looking at the wrong side of R50K just for the parts for such an engine, probably way more these days. For R35K, I would get the bike engine, or alternatively maybe the RX8, but I want to see the power first ;). I have left out the VAG 1.8L turbo powerplant due to the lack of easy bolt on gearbox, but if you are a little pioneering, you can have 200 wheel KW! here on the highveld for R30K, just a thought... And it is still very tracktable, not like a traditional turbo engine where the turbo comes in with a bang and you sit in the kittylitter :)
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

PreviousNext

Return to Running Gear