Newbie Wants to Get a Locost!!!!

Donor cars and parts

Moderator: BradW

Newbie Wants to Get a Locost!!!!

Postby Stephan69007 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:54 am

Hey guys,

i'm Stephan and im currently in Australia, coming back to SA in july '09 and i've always wanted a locost car (kit car) and i cant help it to ask you guys a few questions and directions to build such a machine.
Lets start with the basics, im not a person with alot of knowledge by building it myself but does know a few things, i just dont want to tackle this and cant deliver the product. The other thing is that i would love to know if it is possible for me to biuld it by myself or should you guys recommend that someone does it for me which will mean that it will cost more obviously.
I realy want one of these cars but not realy for racing, like a weekend car and to go to some gymkhana days with my friends, more like a weekend car and i have to say, i would love to fit an engine that will give me some good speed and power, that overwhelming but something that will put a smile on my face.
Ok, i think i'm getting carried away, i was looking at the starter packs from Locost SA but it is unavailable at this very moment.
This means that i will start from scratch with such a project and i'm willing to learn as much as i can, im also open to any suggestions as this will be my firsl real project car and that i will enjoy!!!!
You guys responses to this and advice will be appreciated alot and also maybe provide me with rough prices to start with, as im owning the aussie dollar by this stage, i can start saving up some good cash!!!!!

Thank you in advance and i hope to hear fom you guys soon.
Great forum and great cars to be seen here, wish i was a proud owner already.

Cheers
Stephan
Stephan69007

Re: Newbie Wants to Get a Locost!!!!

Postby muller on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:54 am

Is the actual build of the car one of the attractions to you or do you just want the car?

Reason I ask is that the typical build will take up to a year and 9 times out of 10 will cost more than just buying a car outright
Anton

Race car 1: Birkin IRS 4AGE 20v (TLR class B - B10)
Race car 2: Birkin IRS 4AGE 20v (TLR Class B for SO - B20)
Road car: erm.. who cares
muller

Postby andredp on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:11 am

Agreed with Muller, almost allways cheaper to just buy a car, but that doesn't give you that satisfaction of knowing that YOU build the car :)

PS. My blue car will be for sale again soon, busy trying out some mods on her, and afterwards she will be for sale : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=709

Price neg.
Andre'
Racing: Locost Racer - Rocam with plastic intake manifold ;)
Upgrading: Luego Locost SA - ex 4AGE 20V - soon to be x2 on KWs
New projects: More Locost Formula racers
andredp

Postby Joose on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:23 pm

Stephan69007 wrote:Hey guys,

i'm Stephan and im currently in Australia, coming back to SA in july '09 and i've always wanted a locost car (kit car) and i cant help it to ask you guys a few questions and directions to build such a machine.
Lets start with the basics, im not a person with alot of knowledge by building it myself but does know a few things, i just dont want to tackle this and cant deliver the product. The other thing is that i would love to know if it is possible for me to biuld it by myself or should you guys recommend that someone does it for me which will mean that it will cost more obviously.
I realy want one of these cars but not realy for racing, like a weekend car and to go to some gymkhana days with my friends, more like a weekend car and i have to say, i would love to fit an engine that will give me some good speed and power, that overwhelming but something that will put a smile on my face.
Ok, i think i'm getting carried away, i was looking at the starter packs from Locost SA but it is unavailable at this very moment.
This means that i will start from scratch with such a project and i'm willing to learn as much as i can, im also open to any suggestions as this will be my firsl real project car and that i will enjoy!!!!
You guys responses to this and advice will be appreciated alot and also maybe provide me with rough prices to start with, as im owning the aussie dollar by this stage, i can start saving up some good cash!!!!!

Thank you in advance and i hope to hear fom you guys soon.
Great forum and great cars to be seen here, wish i was a proud owner already.

Cheers
Stephan

Dont underestimate how much work it is to build one of these cars. They may look simple, but they still require LOTS of work to build. Getting someone to build it for you is an option (I currently have Clive Wilmot building mine) but you have to budget extra cash for that. I personally think its worth double what he charges based on the quality of the work he does and the amount of hours required to do it, but i know a lot of people will disagree with me there..

If you dont have anything very specific in mind, and you dont want the satisfaction of building it then rather buy a ready-made one. It probably wont be exactly 100% what you want, but its near enough and you'll save a ton of money.
Building: 4AGE 20v Locost SA
Road Car: a big, red, shouty thing with an MG badge on it..
Joose

Return to Donor Cars