Sierra steering column

Donor cars and parts

Moderator: BradW

Sierra steering column

Postby Van on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:16 pm

We took apart the last bit right before the steering wheel of our steering column and lost some parts. We've now found the little bearing that goes in there but here seems to be a bit of play still. Is there i bush or something that goes in there? Does anybody have photos I could maybe look at to determine whats missing on my side?

Thanks
Ettienne

Building: Haynes Roadster -- 20V Silvertop -- T50
Van

Re: Sierra steering column

Postby ross on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:01 am

Hi Pieter,
I'm pretty sure you can still get replacement kits for those bearings from Ford, I bought some for mine, anyway I'll srip my steering column and take some pictures. Btw I managed to get the n/c mould off the plug and today I'm going to start the layup of the first nosecone.
Regards,
Ross
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Postby Vanair on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:12 pm

Hi Ross

Thanks very much for the page in the manual, it helps a lot.

With this I realized we never got parts A & B (one closest to the steering) :x and now we have to go back and ask nicely :) if they can supply us with the rest.

The bearings seems fine and if I get these two little parts we are OK and going again!

I think you will be very satisfied with that n/c in the end, 'cause what I saw when visiting you the quality of workmanship is excellent.
I will propably ask for one as well to modify for my 7.

Regards

Pieter
Vanair

Postby ross on Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:27 am

Hi Pieter,
Glad it helped, we'll find out how good the workmanship is when the nosecone comes out of the mould, should finish laying up this afternoon or tomorrow, I get fed up with the smell after a while. Either way demould on Sunday and see what we get, aprehension!!
Regards,
Ross
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Return to Donor Cars