Transmisson Tunnel

As per the Ron Champion book

Moderator: BradW

Re: Transmisson Tunnel

Postby andersonhdj on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 am

Hi David,

Indeed there is some stunning work on the Homemade tools site , particularly in the machining sector and lots of innovation.
Building a Jig is an excellent idea, i am very loathe to trust work to others as their standards and mine are often not the same! The result of coming from an Engineering background that requires only the highest standards of workmanship i suppose!

Given that hot air rises, louvres in the bonnet are'nt a bad plan, however , on most modern cars there is no ventilation out of the bonnet so that hot air has to leave via the low pressure zone underneath the car , the big problem being that a Lotus being somewhat lower than your average saloon, this space is minimised.
I will probably add some louvre-ing to the sides of the bonnet when i make it , if required , but i suspect that the positioning of my openings being very near the outer edge of the frame are going to draw heavily due to turbulence. I may even add a small lip to ensure reduced pressure at that point

Let us know how this turns out , i would love to do it differently ,if i did it again , but given my varied interest's , my next project would probably be something completely different , which i believe is where i came in !!
Kind regards
Hamish.
andersonhdj

Postby BuzzFuzz on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:56 pm

Just thinking out of the box here... the normal rear fuel tank could be a bit of an obstacle, but if the tunnel was used to pull hot air down the length of the car and a decent diffuser at the back of the car could just cause a nice savaging effect (low pressure). The diff may also cause a little too much resistance for it to work. It would probably also look a little (very) odd with a larger "GAT" where the number plate normally goes on the bottom of the rear panel.

I'm probably over thinking the situation... and for those who race, I seem to remember there being something about no diffuser in some of the classes.

Thinking way out the box... the tunnel and diffuser idea with mini fins on both ends of the prop shaft to create a turbine of sorts... as I said way out the box... but then balancing and weight on the prop shaft may hamper performance.

That home made tool site has some really nice ideas.
Jethro

1) Scratch build - 20V blacktop & T50 box (done... but always tweaking)
BuzzFuzz

Postby andersonhdj on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:59 pm

Actually , talking fuel tanks , i had the idea at one stage , to make a split tank linked by a crossover pipe sited directly behind the rear bulkhead , the idea being to better utilise "boot" space, also move the filler line off to one side or the other.

The crossover line was the part that made me shelve the idea , it could be too easily snagged.

It could be possible though to utilise 2 separate fuel pumps, one in each tank but that would also mean some means to determine fuel level would be required.
Hamish.
andersonhdj

Postby ross on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:54 am

Re louvres: you can buy pre formed louvre panels from McNaughtons in Jo'burg, I used them in my bonnet. If you're interested they have an online catalogue.
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Postby andersonhdj on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:53 pm

Thanks Ross, it was one of those task's that one finds intimidating cos if you get it wrong it's going to look real horse....
Is there a specific link?
Hamish.
andersonhdj

Postby ross on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi Hamish,
I don't have a specific link, but if you Google McNaughtons you will find their web site, you just need to make sure it's the local one and not the USA site.
Regards,
Ross
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Postby andersonhdj on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi Ross,
Thanks, i did actually find them , a suppiler of Truck and trailer bits, some interesting goodies listed.
Will contact them when the time comes.
Hamish.
andersonhdj

Previous

Return to Book Chassis