Absolute newbie build

As per the Ron Champion book

Moderator: BradW

Absolute newbie build

Postby Slainesa0 on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:37 pm

Hi all

Just a quick note before i start, THIS SITE IS AWSOME!!

Well with that out the way lets begin.

I'm looking to build a book chassis and my donor car is in fact (don't laugh, I SAID DON'T) a morris 1000. I've had it standing for some time after i baught it to fix my austin a35 , but made other plans for the austin. Now i have lots of bits and peices for a first time build but as all of you who have built up your own kits know, there are many, many things to consider first.

I can weld although I'm going to go for a proper welding course soon, so the actual chassis isn't my problem. Space, matterials and parts i will source as i go ( i'll probably order the chassis components pre-cut though macsteel ) if i don't have them already.

My brother in-law is a mechanical engineer and he will be helping me as well and we have spent many a night pondering, debating and planning and we feel that we are ready to start with the build. P.S. between the two of us OCD and over planning is in abundance :) so we feal that prebuild prep is sorted.

Now after that long winded bit of backround here's the real question, we have NO idea how to mount the front suspension (using double wishbone) correctly, here's where we need "the people who know" to help us out, have the DIY guys had much trouble in this regard? is it realy that difficult or are we may be over thinking this? Some help here would be really, really appreciated.

Thanks guys.

P.S. we will be building a sportier locost later, but for now this will be our hands on "get the know how" first build for the road use and possibly for upgrading later. We also want to start a build diary for this kit.
Slainesa0

Re: Absolute newbie build

Postby Gregt on Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:53 am

Hi Slainesa0,

Where are you based? Your best bet is to find someone nearby and go and look at their car as there will be other things you will need to check over time. Incidentally, I have also been considering doing a welding course, who offers DIY welding courses?
Good luck with your build.
Greg
Gregt

Postby Slainesa0 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:22 am

Hey Gregt

I'm based in southern suburbs Cape Town, and I know Westlake tech. (I think its part of South peninsula colledge now) does a welding course. I think any technical colledges do welding courses , usually there's a night course aswell. I'll try to see if there is anyone in the area with a kit , come to think of it, i do know where there was one and the guy had a spare chassis already galvanised ( wonder if he'll sell it ).

Otherwise where are you? Did you build yours or did you go for the kit?

Slainesa0
Slainesa0

Postby ross on Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi,
Before you sign up for any welding course,try and talk to someone who's already done the course and get some feed back. I went on a course to learn to TIG weld aluminium at a reputable artisan training centre in Kempton Park. It was a complete waste of time and money, the guy who was supposed to be training me couldn't weld any better than I could, and my home equipment was far superior to the equipment they were supposed to be training me with, I gave up after two days.
Ross
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Postby Piet on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:14 pm

Hi
How many times more must I stress the fact that building it yourself from scratch is just not worth the effort. You can hang on and save the pennies and buy yourself a Locost kit, it's worth every cent. Let some one else worry about all the tech. details. If you really want to experience of building your own 7, Locost is the answer.
I built mine myself and I mean almost everything. just because I didn't have the money at the time to buy it outright and I wanted a 7. I should have waited and saved. I could have built 3 cars by now with all the mistakes and redo's, to try and satisfy my own standards. I kept record of every cent I spent on my car and I have spent upto date close to R70000
Trust me you can pick up a ready built 7 for less that half the price of what it will cost you to build it and if you are lucky you may even find one road registered, what a pleasure. It is allways cheaper to buy than to build, but if you want piece of mind and satisfaction then buy a Locost kit. It is just as fun putting it together with all your ideas and configurations. Then you don't have to say one day when you battling with something and you are filthy dirty, "I should have waited and bought a kit".
Phew, I sound like a car salesman, don't worry, I get no commision from Locost.
Locost Scratch Build + 100mm
Toyota Silver Top 20VVT
Piet

Postby Gregt on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:49 am

Hi Slainesa0,
Piet has a point, however I built my car before Locost SA was around. A friend actually built the chassis by tacking it together and then having it professionally MIG welded. I then took over the build in 2000 and registered the car in 2003.
I live in Alberton.
Greg
Gregt

Postby Van on Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:29 pm

Slaine, with regards to Piets statement above you have to ask yourself what you want out of it? We built our car from scratch doing 99% of the fabrication ourselves too (not comeplete but ALMOST) and while it was a pain in the buttocks sometimes I am DAMN PROUD and happy that we decided to make a car instead of building a kit but that is what we wanted to do. If your super keen on the creation process building isnt all that bad just add some cost and quite a bit of extra time ... But it depends on what you want out of the project.

Just my 2c :wink:
Ettienne

Building: Haynes Roadster -- 20V Silvertop -- T50
Van

Postby Land Locked on Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:05 pm

Van wrote:Slaine, with regards to Piets statement above you have to ask yourself what you want out of it? We built our car from scratch doing 99% of the fabrication ourselves too (not comeplete but ALMOST) and while it was a pain in the buttocks sometimes I am DAMN PROUD and happy that we decided to make a car instead of building a kit but that is what we wanted to do. If your super keen on the creation process building isnt all that bad just add some cost and quite a bit of extra time ... But it depends on what you want out of the project.

Just my 2c :wink:

Thats exactly why I want to scratch build, well that and by scratch building I can make the car fit my funny wide backside.
Land Locked

Postby Slainesa0 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:42 pm

Yeah, the idea of driving "MY OWN CAR" definately takes a new turn when YOU built it :) . I want the pride of ownership knowing that I built my car even if it's the most unroadworthy soap box racer out there :mrgreen: . Time isn't a problem for me, i can work at work too , and the cost isn't major. even if money is short in time the money will come. There's another guy on the forum who is trying to build for as little cost as possible and thats the idea i had for my first build. P.S. i found out that a local high school has a machine shop class and i was thinking of getting the kids interested , this could get really big. After all, the appeal of driving a custom this unique is HUGH.
Slainesa0

Postby ross on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:18 pm

Hi Slaine,
I think the idea of getting kids involved is great, SA needs more engineers, and the way to grow them is to get young people interested early in their lives, go for it!!
Ross
Locost chassis with Toyota 20 valve blacktop and T50 box.
ross

Return to Book Chassis