Ivan's Build

As per the Ron Champion book

Moderator: BradW

Ivan's Build

Postby Ivan on Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:16 pm

Hi All

Hi asked Brad to include this area to give people an opportunity to comment on book chassis builds and build diaries.

I hope my diary has been of some interest to some of you out there.
Ivan

Postby Ivan on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:21 pm

Hi All
Just to let anybody interested know that I am back at building my Locost and contributing to my build diary after too long a break.

Regards
Ivan
Ivan

Postby lcoetzee on Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:46 am

Hi Ivan
Nice hearing from you again!
I'm still drooling over your and the other guy's builds.
Something to think of when you are going to polish your Stainless goodies: A while ago, I've built a s/s vertical spit, and I came across a thing called \"pickling paste\". The commercial name is \"Stainox N\" - a Hydrofluoric acid principle. It removes heat marks and gives a really nice finish if the workpiece hasn't got too many scratches. I got mine from one of our local steel merchants, but being here on the \"plaas\", I do'nt know where you guys in Cape Town should try? Maybe Afrox?
Just a thought
Best regards
Lourens
lcoetzee

Postby Ivan on Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:05 pm

Hi Lourens

Thanks for that idea - it sounds ideal for my Cobrs side pipes as well as they are looking quite bad.

Ivan
Ivan

Postby Ivan on Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:40 pm

Hi - Have just added Build Diaries No's 14 and 15 to my build diary - these deal mainly with suspension and spring and shock selection (particularly BD 14).

I would be interested to hear others thoughts on spring selection.

Ivan
Ivan

Postby Ivan on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:38 pm

Have just completed Build Diaries 16 and 17.
In 16 I get to drive two memorable cars - this has nothing to do with Locost construction but I am sure any Petrolhead would enjoy the experience.

In 17 I finish off the suspension arms and start the transmission tunnel which I have since finished.
Ivan

Postby Kango on Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:57 pm

Glad to see someboby thinks like me.

I am planning a +442 Chassis. although your tread is under the Book Chassis section you are deviating a fair bit.

1)Where did you get the nose for the wider car?

2)Are planning to fabricate your own scuttle from steel or fibre glass?

3)When using the wider top rail material, did you stick to the overall book chassis height?

4)How much longer is your cockpit section....100mm?

5)What G/Box are you using?

Regards....
Kango

Postby Ivan on Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:08 pm

To answer youre questions

1) I got the nose from Brights Glass in Ottery in Cape Town - he widened a standard nose by 100 mm for me. - the widening cost an extra R350 although I suspect he will charge more next time. To do this I had him cast the nose in two pieces roughly 100mm wider than a half width then laid the pieces over the nose and drilled and bolted them togther to be cut and joined by him. This entailed notching the mouth to keep it straight and repairing it, overall he said the join took about 5 hrs of work. - i am thinking of taking a mould of the nose at some stage in case I build another car. Bright's is one of my favourite places to visit as he has the most fantastic projects for a petrolhead to look at, like porsche 917's, chopper Hogs, F1 lookalikes powered by Hyabusa motors (Realy fast!), GT40 bodies etc etc.

2) At this stage the scuttle frame is steel that I will clad with Aluminium. If I have problems stretching the Al. over it because it isn't a single curve I might reconsider and make a FG one - will soon be at that stage - watch this space!

3) No - my chassis is 25mm taller - I did this to save having to recalc the lengths and cut angles of most of the intermediate tubes - it has two advantages, the scuttle can be lower for the bonnet to to clear the motor and that helps hide the visual bulk so the car should look and actually be no higher overall as its the motor's height that sets the overall height of the car - and 16 & 20 valvers are tall motors. The second advantage is that the greater beam depth makes for a stiffer structure. The only disadvantages are a marginally higher front roll centre because of suspension bracket location and a few kg's extra weight.

4) Cockpit is 50mm longer.

5) Toyota T50 (split) box
Ivan

Postby Kango on Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:22 pm

With South Africans being farly large people I thought there would be a fair few going for a larger chassis. It even makes hiding the overhead cam motors easier, but it seems like there is going to be no short cut for me with bady parts. At least you gave me an idea for the nose. I recon it will work for the scuttle aswell. I made my own steel scuttle.....6 month job and weighs a ton.

Will watch your progress.
Kango

Postby Ivan on Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:03 pm

Hi All

Just posted Build Diary No 18 - struggling to sort out some minor details so I can finish off the chassis and send it off for sandblasting and priming/painting - very frustrating :x
Ivan

Postby Ivan on Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:11 am

Hi all - Just forwarded Build Diary No. 19 to Brad - in it I get a ride in a Ferrari 599 that totaly blew my mind, and I get my new brake and clutch pedals and various other parts and make some progress on the car. :D
Ivan

Return to Book Chassis